Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Need your help with a drivetrain noise.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your help with a drivetrain noise.

This is probably my second post here on these forums but i've been browsing for years, love this community, wish i had more to offer, but now i need your input.

the background: had my 2002 oz rally for years, 150K on her, since 90k there has been this noise, its been getting worse, but better in certain circumstances.(i.e. winter or summer), i have had it looked at many times, and been told many things, and no-one wants to fix it, 6 different mechanics(cause i was stupid), some say its the tranny, others say the engine, other say my windshield wipers need replaced.

Since it has always been just a noise, i never felt the need to fix it, but here i am down the road, and its the only thing wrong with my car now, aside from years of use.
Its a good 300% louder than when i first started noticing.

FACTS:
- 5-spd manual 02 lancer oz
- sounds like my car has a lathe inside it and it's making chess pieces.
- the noise is not constant in tone, it is like a ............... like there is a shaft spinning but it's not round.(it also .......'s faster if i accelerate, but if in neutral the throttle does nothing to the noise)
- sometimes it is smoother sounding, other times its chunky(variation over years, not days)
- you can hear it VERY LOUD when i pull up next to a wall(for obvious reasons. (it ain't inside the compartment))
- IT GOES AWAY COMPLETELY WHEN I PUSH THE CLUCH PEDAL DOWN
- a mechanic told and charged me to put a new transmission in for another issue...lies but anyways, this did not fix the noise, but i do not think he actually changed the transmission(can i check? can i sue?(unrelated))

since it goes away when i push the pedal down i know its in the transmission not the engine, since if it were, the engine the noise would remain.

i'm planning on doing a long term 4g64block and 63 head into my baby, just so i don't think she's a *****(the weak kind)

since the details of this swap require parts from my transmission(the noisy one) i want to get this squared away.

also i might want to sell the car instead, this noise prevents me from saying the car is in good condition.

ANY help would be much appreciated
thanks in advance guys.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jwarian
- IT GOES AWAY COMPLETELY WHEN I PUSH THE CLUCH PEDAL DOWN
Throw out bearing
Get a new slave and be done with it.

If not a single of your mechanics could tell you that, you need to stop going to any of them.
/thread
Old May 11, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

+1^ Whoever you took the car to are idiots. Pull the tranny and change that throwout bearing
Old May 11, 2011, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone point me to a how-to for pulling the tranny?
will that guy's thread about putting in a 4g64 show me what i need to know?

what else should i replace while im down there?

i appreciate any input

i have the fsm but no step by step for removal
Old May 12, 2011, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jwarian
can someone point me to a how-to for pulling the tranny?
will that guy's thread about putting in a 4g64 show me what i need to know?

what else should i replace while im down there?

i appreciate any input

i have the fsm but no step by step for removal
???

The FSM Gives you exactly what you need it has a step by step it tells you from beginning to end what you need to remove. If you need seomething with pics of what it is talking about I suggest having a friend help you who has done work like this before. It pretty easy being a small car and all.
For a very rough I idea I start by removing all wiring from a transmission, then the shift linkage, then the drivelines. then the bellhousing bolts and mounting bolts. Again just a brief summary for any trans removal really.