Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Popping out of gear

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping out of gear

Alright, so my 08 Gts 5spd was a rental up until I got it at 43k miles, I'm almost at 60k and having issues with the car staying in gear. 1st pops out from a stop and 2nd pops out as soon as I shift into it or the few times I have started in it to avoid first. I have been told it is all tranny, shift forks and bad synchros, have also been told it's a bad throwout bearing. Being a rental for so long I could see the clutch going from people beating it up, the rental company did the bare minimum maintenance, first tranny flush was done today... I used synchromesh as I was recommended by a mechanic friend. I saw a slight improvement, but nothing drastic, still pops out. No idea where the linkage is on this car so I haven't checked it. What could it be?? Any ideas or help would be appreciated!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

not the clutch.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try cheapest easiest thing first... Shifter detents... They thread in from the outside and they are what lock the shift rail/fork in place... I'm sure shep or jack's would be happy to sell themto you... 20 minutes of work and it could fix your problem... Maybe 50 bucks tops... Or send it to a tranny ahop for a 900+ rebuild... Your choice
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by joseph143
Try cheapest easiest thing first... Shifter detents... They thread in from the outside and they are what lock the shift rail/fork in place... I'm sure shep or jack's would be happy to sell themto you... 20 minutes of work and it could fix your problem... Maybe 50 bucks tops... Or send it to a tranny ahop for a 900+ rebuild... Your choice
I have never heard of a shifter detent, but would definitely like to try that out. Where is that located/what has to come out to get to it? I know almost nothing about transmissions, or I would have pulled it apart already.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

I know nothing about 07+ lancers... But they are on the outside of the casing... Usually on the top. They look like a big *** bolt. On my 5spd its right bellow the trans mount
Old Apr 5, 2013, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Read the trans diagnotic procedure... It says the poppets or cables are bad... If you find the 3 bolts one the outside of the casing and pull em... You can swap them between themselves... Mive 1-2 to 3-4, 3-4 to 5-r and so on... The fault should follow it its the cause... That will give you a better idea...