Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Catalytic converter going already?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Catalytic converter going already?

Last night when my boyfriend started my car, I walked over to it and it smelled like rotten eggs for a while then the smell went away. Could it be possible that my catalytic converter is already going? I only have 7100 miles on it!
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Just take the damn thing out.....it's just clogging your exhaust system anyway....RRM sells the off road pipe that replaces it.....uhhhhh maybe someone farted?
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:36 PM
Account Disabled

yeah, how long have you guys been together, maybe thats your boyfriends excuse, to cover it up, hes just not comfortable farting in front of you, had to blame if on the car since there was no dog around
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, does anyone have a real answer for me? I really cannot stand smart asses, go be a postwhore somewhere else..
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think that was whoring but .

I dont think ur catalytic converter should be making that smell at all. were you near any factory or construction? it's sulfer that makes that nasty rotten egg smell, probably not ur car.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Well, it pisses me off that whenever I ask a serious question, nobody answers it, they just put some retarded response to get another post, but I wasn't near a factory or anything, I was in my boyfriend's driveway. He said that he thinks that is what it might have been. He does car repair and bodywork and all that so he would know but it hasn't done it since so he said not to worry about it yet. And if that is what the problem is, the warranty better cover it!
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:55 PM

If your cat is going bad, that could actually be good news! You can now legally replace it with a high-flow one since it's illegal to tamper with emissions devices unless they're malfunctioning. Not a test pipe though, those would still be illegal for street use.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

My brother's cat went on his '97 Prelude. It only had around 30,000 miles on it. It was covered by his extended warranty. Maybe your is defective, they usually last the life of the car.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

ok my original post was half serious and half not....I've found you can get a temporary rotten egg smell from coolant or washerfluid burning in the engine bay. Check your washers fittings and make sure coolant lines are tight.
Old Jul 30, 2002, 04:18 AM

actually that smell is an overheated converter - someone was driving the car real hard... probably need to replace it.. but see if it happens again first..
Old Jul 30, 2002, 04:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Bella, if your car's not moded to the ponit where you think you'll be hassled at the dealership then just take it on and have them look at it. It shouldn't have to be your concern at this point if it's still possibly warranteed. Wish I had a better answer, but hey...hopefully it's something they can fix quickly or nothing at all.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

If it's stock, it should not be clogged.

If it smells real bad only at start up, it maybe your car is running a bit too rich. All mitsu tends to do that . . .

Only time you should worry if you smell it in the cabin.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

As someone correctly stated before it is the smell of sulphur. However it is from the SULPHUR in gasoline that creates the rotten eggs smell from the catalytic converter - this is normal. Any new car out there has this smell. I've had several new cars (Volvo / Subaru / Toyota) and they all have the smell at different levels. What can eliminate or reduce the rotten eggs odor is the kind of gasoline you put in the car.

I an NOT referring to a gasoline's octane rating, I'm referring to ULSG or ultra low sulphur gasoline. Right now it is only available in California due to their stringent emissions controls, but the EPA has mandated it be the new standard nationwide a few years from now ('04 or '06 I think).

I'd be interested to hear from a California forum member if they get this smell using ULSG. I believe that ARCO is pretty big in Southern California and makes a big deal of how emissions friendly their gasoline is.

Since you're in NY from your profile, there's no ULSG up there. Try refilling from a different station / brand for a couple of weeks in a row. See if there is one brand of gasoline that makes the smell less than the others. You'll notice (as I do) as soon as you pull the car in a garage or closed area if you were able to improve things or not.

DF

Last edited by diesel_fan; Aug 3, 2002 at 10:39 AM.