Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2003 lancer es rough idle !! help !!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Are your cooling fan working though?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually it just shifts hard, rpms are normal, just that issue
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juan5310
actually it just shifts hard, rpms are normal, just that issue
I have the exact same problem. H6avw for 2 years now. Changed the fluid and it still does it every now and again.

I've just been dealing with it.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like the input speed sensor needs replaced
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:00 AM

ok you guys sooo i cleaned the throttle body ( late update ) and the rough IDLE stopped, was very happy but i noticed that the car was very slugish and still got bad gas mileage...... really bad gas mileage.

spark plugs are ok, idk what it could be ? maybe air filter? looks clean still. O2 sensor ? ughhhh its making my head spin
Old Sep 6, 2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by RT78
Ok, as far as the rough idle, it could be a couple of things, dirty idle air control motor or a dirty egr valve. A failing map sensor will give you bad mileage plus a rough idle, the egr and iac you can clean, but sensors have to be replaced. However, never just assume anything is bad from symptoms, several parts have similar symptoms when they start to fail so if you just start replacing parts without knowing which one is the problem, the cost is gonna go up REAL quick. What really has my attention is the overheating, is your coolant level slowly dropping in the overflow tank at all?
Originally Posted by juan5310
ok you guys sooo i cleaned the throttle body ( late update ) and the rough IDLE stopped, was very happy but i noticed that the car was very slugish and still got bad gas mileage...... really bad gas mileage.

spark plugs are ok, idk what it could be ? maybe air filter? looks clean still. O2 sensor ? ughhhh its making my head spin

Sorry guys but a big question for everyone here, rough idle, and chronic overheat, why did no one suggest a compression test? Before going through the bother of dissassembly and cleaning, CHECK AND MAKE SURE YOU DIDN'T CRACK THE BLOCK, OR HEAD, AND THAT YOU DIDN'T MESS UP THE HEAD GASKET. Yes rough idle can be caused by a lot of things, same with over heating, but the two of them together smells like teen spir.... I mean blown head gasket/cracked head.

GO GET A COMPRESSION TEST!!!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 08:14 PM

I have a similar problem guys but mine happened after I removed the bottom piping of my AEM CAI. I kept getting into puddles and hydrolocking since the filter was too low. I did rinse all the parts (inside and out) from the throttle body down to the air filter. I dried all the pieces with a rag, including where the sensor connects to. Connected the vacuum hose in the bottom of the pipe. Now my idle is at 1.5k and it used to be at around 800. Also when I accelerate hard it starts to bog. The bottom of the pipe did have a hole in it where the filter connects to. What can be causing my problem? I already reset my battrry also. It does drive perfectly though, just high idle.

2003 lancer es rough idle !! help !!-forumrunner_20150110_211347.jpg

2003 lancer es rough idle !! help !!-forumrunner_20150110_211411.jpg
Old Jan 11, 2015, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by silent1jt
I have a similar problem guys but mine happened after I removed the bottom piping of my AEM CAI. I kept getting into puddles and hydrolocking since the filter was too low. I did rinse all the parts (inside and out) from the throttle body down to the air filter. I dried all the pieces with a rag, including where the sensor connects to. Connected the vacuum hose in the bottom of the pipe. Now my idle is at 1.5k and it used to be at around 800. Also when I accelerate hard it starts to bog. The bottom of the pipe did have a hole in it where the filter connects to. What can be causing my problem? I already reset my battrry also. It does drive perfectly though, just high idle.
If you have had water in your intake one of your sensors may be damaged from water infiltration inside the electrical components. Having a hole in the piping can affect your idle but only if its after four maf sensor. If its before your maf it shouldnt change anything besides sucking in dirty air

Last edited by marcouxa1; Jan 11, 2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by marcouxa1

If you have had water in your intake one of your sensors may be damaged from water infiltration inside the electrical components. Having a hole in the piping can affect your idle but only if its after four maf sensor. If its before your maf it shouldnt change anything besides sucking in dirty air
But it was fine until I removed that bottom piping. Last time the intake sucked in water was like 4 months ago and it ran perfect. When I washed the parts I made sure the maf sensor connection was dry. Today I seafoamed it and sprayed some seafoam inside the maf web filter thing and into the throttle body. It did help a little bit, my idle is on like 1100rpms and sound smoother. Should I adjust the idle screw a little bit? Ive driven the car about 10 miles so far.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:42 PM

Will the maf sensor from an 05 ralliart fit on my 02 oz rally? Anyone know?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
they are totally different