Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

cold start rought runing.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold start rought runing.

I have a 03 lancer es and I have this problem that occurs on cold morning starts or when its off for a extended period of time. what happen is that it takes me atleast 3 tries of starting it to get the car started and then when it starts it has a badly misfire and rough idle like if it is lacking fuel pressure or volume, it runs rough for a couple minutes until it finally stabilizes and runs great after it gets warm I get no noticeable misfires or lack of power under load. what I have done to it: I have checked for fuel pressure to rail and volume. I got 55psi and volume is good. I have changed the spark plugs I had an extra fuel pump so installed that too I checked the tank for dirt/corrosion and there was non. changed spark plugs with iridiums ngk. and I recently checked the fuel pressure reg. I could hear the fuel going back to the tank even when the car was not running. Next steps I would do: get access to an scan tool and see the codes but last time I check it was giving one for idle control valve wich I replaced and went away, i was wondering about checking data from the cyl head temp sensor, maybe its faulty and the pcm is not advancing timing or injector on time????? . Can someone give me a path or hint or where I can keep tracking this issue? i would really appretiate the help since I'm new to the forums. I'm sure there are some good tech that can help me. thanks you guys in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mike.g69
I have a 03 lancer es and I have this problem that occurs on cold morning starts or when its off for a extended period of time. what happen is that it takes me atleast 3 tries of starting it to get the car started and then when it starts it has a badly misfire and rough idle like if it is lacking fuel pressure or volume, it runs rough for a couple minutes until it finally stabilizes and runs great after it gets warm I get no noticeable misfires or lack of power under load. what I have done to it: I have checked for fuel pressure to rail and volume. I got 55psi and volume is good. I have changed the spark plugs I had an extra fuel pump so installed that too I checked the tank for dirt/corrosion and there was non. changed spark plugs with iridiums ngk. and I recently checked the fuel pressure reg. I could hear the fuel going back to the tank even when the car was not running. Next steps I would do: get access to an scan tool and see the codes but last time I check it was giving one for idle control valve wich I replaced and went away, i was wondering about checking data from the cyl head temp sensor, maybe its faulty and the pcm is not advancing timing or injector on time????? . Can someone give me a path or hint or where I can keep tracking this issue? i would really appretiate the help since I'm new to the forums. I'm sure there are some good tech that can help me. thanks you guys in advance.

if you have a scanner, it's not a bad idea to see what your sensor output is...