Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Light Pattern on Spyder HID Projector Headlights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Pattern on Spyder HID Projector Headlights

Hey all, this is my first post hopefully I am posting in the right area. So I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and I got these Spyder headlights from protuninglab

http://www.protuninglab.com/08milaedrlle2.html

I've been having alot of issues with the light pattern produced by these headlights even after getting the shop to adjust the beams. There seems to be a large shadow on the ground, even when I have the bar/electrode facing down. I'm almost convince its just that the HIDs are not seated properly.

I've attached a picture of the inside of the housing where the bulb should sit. The H7 bulb doesn't lock into place or anything...it just sits and a metal latch clips a crossed it to hold it in place. Does anyone else have these headlights and knows how the bulbs should be seated? Or any input at all?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Light Pattern on Spyder HID Projector Headlights-housing.jpg  
Old Apr 22, 2015, 06:18 AM

These could have been listed as H7 by mistake on spyder's site they have a model which houses H7 bulbs and another that houses D2S bulbs although this housing doesn't look like it would match a D2S bulb
Old Apr 22, 2015, 08:40 AM

First off...it is funny how protuninglab is selling HID kits with these headlights when it clearly says (Non-HID) model. I know the 2 models are also labeled this way by Spyder in respect to what your stock headlight connections are/were.

The Non-HID model is a Halogen projector with H7 bulb, and the HID model uses a D2S bulb. From my understanding, Halogen & HID projectors are "supposed" to be slightly different from one another due to the internal components (ie shield and focal point).
But I have not contacted Spyder to confirm if these 2 models actually use a different setup besides the bulb type. Who knows, they could probably just BS to make you buy the HID set

I see how yours shows H7/HID. I had my headlights installed by Mitsu like over 2 years ago, and before they went in, I never looked that closely at the back of the headlight to see if the bulb twists to lock in or if it is a metal latch...I only had halogens back then...then finally got sick of yellowish light

Also, I wasn't the one who actually placed my H7 HID bulbs in. I just redid all the wiring after. I got my Morimoto XB35 HID kit from TRS:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.VTe3gtJVhBc
Sometimes different bulb manufacturers can really make a difference.

Is it your driver or passenger side that has the shadow?

My driver's side doesn't have any shadow (that I can tell), and actually seems more like a hotspot on the ground compared to the passenger side. Could be because mine is pointed quite down to not blind oncoming
My cutoff seems pretty good, but not near as good as pictures I've seen from others (but I'm no pro on HID's at all!)

To be honest, these are aftermarket projectors...if you really want quality then you will have to stick to OEM projectors, or do a retrofit with some quality projectors. Oh and if I were you, I wouldn't do a 55W HID setup in aftermarkets...stick to 35W to be safe and avoid any melting issues.

I will be installing my LED turn signals in these headlights in the next few days to eliminate the "fried egg look"...I will report back to share how my HID bulbs are seated in the back of the projector.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to post pics of your cutoff line, and or any shadows/hot spots you may notice so that we can compare or help you better.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the reply! I believe the shadow is coming from the passenger side, I am also using 35W kit. I will take some pictures and post later tonight. I received the projectors from protuninglab with the bulbs installed, they were 6000k I believe. It wasn't outputting much light and I wasn't please but I just dealt with it for a while. I took this picture of the housing recently when I had enough...and tried installing 4300k bulbs. It's frustrating because I spent around $380 on these and I feel like I have worst output than halogens on OEM headlights. Now that I looks closer it almost looks as if this housing could seat 9007 bulbs but that's not specified by Spyder.