Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

04 Mitsibushi Lancer Rally

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Mitsibushi Lancer Rally

Hello Guys, this is my first post on this forum. I am working on my friends 04 Mitsibushi Lancer Rally and it wont start. We have deducted that it is not receiving fuel, the fuel pump will not activate, I checked the two relays under the dash, as well as the 15A fuse in the engine compartment, and the 7.5A fuse under the dash. At this point, we have replaced the fuel pump, unfortunately still no start. It turns over great and was running fine prior to the breakdown... The fuel pump fuse 15A was blown, and we replaced that, after that it ran for a bit and then died out. Which is why I thought it was the fuel pump being bad... Also the vehicle has 136,000 miles and has an aftermarket viper alarm system. We tried to reset the viper alarm system already as well.

Any suggestions or similar situations, please let me know what you would recommend?!?

Thank you for your time,

Justin Timm
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be willing to bet its the little 0-ring on the fuel pump. On the fuel pump follow the single black wire that goes to the sensor held in by 2 clips (not the wires on the fuel pump). Take the sensor out and there is a small o-ring in there. I'm guessing thats your problem. When you tip the fuel pump assembly upside down that o-ring moves out of place. Reset the o-ring and don't tip the fuel assembly upside down. Give that a try and let me know if it works.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

04 Mitsibushi Lancer Rally-9xqa4xr.jpg

I had a little time to get this pic online. There's a o-ring in this thing. Reset the o-ring and be sure to keep the assembly down after you get it in. I hope this solves your problem.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:52 PM

Jakermeister, thanks for the picture! We just put a new (Junkyard) Fuel pump in and I still don't hear the pump activate at all. Do you think this would cause the pump not to activate at all?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

It should activate but with the o-ring out of place it wouldn't be able to get the proper pressure thru the fuel line. I don't think our fuel pump activates until we actually turn the key over. Check that o-ring. It gave me a lot of problems even with a walbro 255. I'm not sure you have a tactrix cable but if you do you can use it to activate the fuel pump.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:47 PM

I took the pump out and the o ring was out of place, I fixed it and I'm still not getting anything Thanks for the suggestion though! Any other ideas? ?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Can you give me a little more background on what happened when it died out before the fuel pump? He didnt pinch a fuel line or anything? I would check some of your other fuses over as well. If you had a tactrix cable you could activate the pump and make it flow out a bit. My cable helped me a lot. You do have enough gas in the car right?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check fuse number 8 under the dash...
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
check fuse number 8 under the dash...
The engine control 7.5A fuse was good. Thanks but any other suggestions?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jakermeister
Can you give me a little more background on what happened when it died out before the fuel pump? He didnt pinch a fuel line or anything? I would check some of your other fuses over as well. If you had a tactrix cable you could activate the pump and make it flow out a bit. My cable helped me a lot. You do have enough gas in the car right?
He was just driving on the highway and he lost power and it died itself. He says it started shaking a bit before it died. No he didn't pinch any fuel lines. And yes there is enough gas. Unfortunately, I don't have a tantric cable
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
is the timing belt broken?

the only thing that powers the fuel pump is that fuse, and those two relays...unless you have a short elsewhere in that circuit....everything is parallel...
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:38 PM

No it isn't, it has spark and it is still firing, it just isn't getting any fuel from the pump. He says that the 15A fuse fuel pump in the engine compartment was bad, then the shop he had it at replaced it and it ran for a bit, but he only made it about a mile or so, and now it wont start at all.. We just checked any other fuse that could possibly be related to the engine and/or fuel pump, and they were all fine. I guess I haven't really looked at the timing belt, because he said that it did run for a little bit I just assumed that it wasn't..
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Well since you don't have the cable you can probably pull the fuel rail and check that way. I would look into Cranswicks suggestion on the belt as well. Could've lost some teeth and jumped timing.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 09:20 AM

Okay so I pulled the fuel pump line from the fuel pump and I am not getting any gas. Also would there be any way to tell if it did just jump a couple of teeth without pulling the whole cover off. Unfortunately I'm not near his location anymore and am going to attempt to provide help through technology...
Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a 2002 lancer gdi engine in April, been busy havent got a around to get it fully ready. The previous owner havent drove it in years. what are the parts i should change???? oh i noticed that whenever i get to 2000rpm or higher the gdi eco comes off