Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Random Crank/No-Start Issue

Old Jan 25, 2016, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Random Crank/No-Start Issue

We bought a 2010 Lancer ES and it did not come with a key fob (was originally re-possessed before coming to dealership). The first week it drove just fine. Randomly, I went to turn the car on and it cranked but didn't start. I tried it again and it fired right up. I just chalked this up to not letting the fuel pump have enough time to pressurize the fuel rail. Then we had the dealership cut us a new key with key fob and everything seemed great. But every once in a while, very randomly, I'll get that crank but no start condition. It always starts on the second try. It's so random that it only happens maybe once a month. I know these cars have those engine immobolizers and I was thinking that maybe the car isn't recognizing the key and not allowing the engine to start but it happened before and after the extra key was made. My initial thought was the crankshaft position sensor is starting to go out on me but I haven't received any CELs and when I use my scanner it never shows any stored or pending codes. I always hear the clicking of the fuel pump relay but I have no way of testing fuel pressure to see if this is a sign of impending fuel pump failure. The last thing I want is my wife to be driving and the car stalls on her, or it gets to the point where the car won't start at all. With no CEL, I'm trying to decide where to start looking before I just go and throw new parts at it. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Have someone else turn the key on and you listen at the fuel tank (or trunk) for the 'hum' of the fuel pump coming on. It may be a sticky fuel pump relay. I would swap it and see if it gets better (they are cheap and easy to replace).
Old Jan 29, 2016, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will give that a shot! If that doesn't work where would you go next? Crankshaft Position Sensors are pretty pricey for these cars.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think it is a random glitch in the key fob ECU. Do you have a FAST key or normal? I would try getting them to reprogram the key FOB ECU.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The CPS should kick a CEL code. I would not change one unless I had a code...

Does using the other key fob make a difference?
If you don't have a second FOB, I would buy one now anyway - so you can program it yourself...
Once you lose the one and only FOB - your only option is to go to dealership and pay $$$ :O