Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Audio amplifier fuse blown, keeps blowing new fuse right away

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio amplifier fuse blown, keeps blowing new fuse right away

My headset in my lancer 08 GTS works, I can switch between navigation, cd, fm etc but no sound... The audio amplifier fuse under the hood was blown, a green 30 amp fuse located in fuse spot number 31, I bought a bunch of new fuses from Walmart, they're green 30 amp fuses and they fit in the slot, but every time I put the new fuse in, there is a blue spark and it's blowing the brand new fuse right off the bat, I tried switching it around with another brand new fuse but it keeps blowing the new fuse automatically... The engine and everything is shut off by the way, anyone know why this is happening?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
First DO NOT be tempted to just put a higher value fuse in to solve it. badbadbadbad...

You have a short in the amp system. Check the wiring first. Look for crimped/exposed metal wire in the harness going into the amp. You may have to pull quite a bit of trim to inspect it completely.

If in a hurry - swap with another OEM amp. If that fixed it - good. If not - it IS the wiring and you need to keep troubleshooting. Use a multimeter to find where the power wire is grounded to refine your search. It is not a common problem - so no clues (IIRC) of where to start your search.

What event triggered the amp not working? Hit a bump? Accident? After a rain? After you...
Let us know.