Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Can't get my OZ rally to start........

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't get my OZ rally to start........

So basically i just brought a 2003 Mitsubishi lancer oz rally. When i got it it only needed a new timing belt and kit. Ended up installing that and a new starter, new battery, new sparlk plugs, air filter, throttle body positioning sensor and crank shaft sensor. I got the car running but with a major flaw, the engine shuts off when i come to a stop or if i slow down to where the rpm goes below 1 it will shut down. So i let the car sit for bit untill i could figure it out but a couple days i go to start the car and nothing. I've talked to a couple mechanics but no luck. It cranks and pulls over but just doesnt want to start. Any tips or suggestions i could try to get this thing running? Im low on cash so prefabaly things that dont involve me going flat broke.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check compression, verify ignition, and fuel flow.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were you able to figure out the issue? I'm facing the same thing..
Old Feb 20, 2017, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I forgot about this thread, but looking back it sounds a lot like an evaporative emissions purge solenoid...stuck open...When mine went, I had to always apply throttle to keep the engine running, and also had difficulty starting on a full tank...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, this old story. Bought a car in a state of disrepair and now you've thrown half the Autozone shelf at it and it still won't run right.

First off, what do you mean by it "needed a new timing belt and kit?" Do you mean the belt was worn and in need of replacement, or do you mean the belt snapped? If it's the latter, you most likely have bent valves, and good luck ever getting it to run right without pulling the head.

You can talk until you're blue in the face to "mechanics" and post a paragraph that vaguely describes the problem but it's only going to get you faint guesses. There's a ton of reasons as to why a car won't start and/or won't run right. Until you have the car properly diagnosed you're just going to continue wasting money throwing parts at it.

I understand this thread is a year old and I'm sure the issue has been resolved or the car is in the hands of someone else at this point but I wanted to make note that threads like these get posted time and time again.