Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

P0456 Evap related CEL

Old May 15, 2016, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0456 Evap related CEL

So i got this code on the 03 OZ-Rally.

P0456 Small leak on the evap side of things. Googling around it seems the purge valve is the likely suspect. Evap purge seems to be part number MR507781 @ $60ish.

Its the yellow sensor. Looks to be held on by a 10mm or 8mm on the back side on a plate. Its a little hard to reach back there, and i would imagine it would be a pain to get that nut back in place.

Looking at this image, #5 is my purge and number #6 is a EGR. But #4 is the whole plate. But i'm under the impression that #4 is EVERYTHING including 5/6 which runs $115. But i dont know exactly how it bolts on, their seems to be 2 top bolts where the throttle body cable bolts to but thats it.

1.Thoughts on this at all?
2. Is there another place to get the evap sensor ?
3. Any tips on installing this?

Anyone have similiar issues
Old May 15, 2016, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Most common is a poor sealing gas cap. I would start there first. Do the simple things first.

Last edited by whtrice; May 16, 2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old May 16, 2016, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
with a bad purge solenoid, (stuck open) you will get poor idle, and occasional stalling, also when you fill you gas tank to the gills, it will have trouble starting...
Old May 16, 2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by whtrice
Most common is a poor sealing gas cap. I would start there first. Do the simple things first.

This was already done. Everytime i get a an evap fault on any of my cars i've just gone and got the gas cap right away. In terms of gas cap fixing any of my evap faults... i'm like 0/8... But evap related i'm 6/8. The other 2 being cracks at the charcoal canister and 1 vac line.

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
with a bad purge solenoid, (stuck open) you will get poor idle, and occasional stalling, also when you fill you gas tank to the gills, it will have trouble starting...
Poor idle yes, but very rare. It seems to fall on its face at lights but never enough to stall the car out. About once a day. I was thinking it was a vac line but i couldn't source it. Never noticed any starting troubles. Other cars that i've replaced the evap purge the solenoid just never clicked when 12v was applied. This one is in a tough to reach location. So i didn't want to unbolt that 10mm nut to test just yet but cause i see it being a pain to reinstall.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
I was thinking it was a vac line but i couldn't source it. Never noticed any starting troubles.
an evap purge solenoid being stuck open is a vacuum leak...even if the hoses are secure, it goes straight to the emissions canister, and it's connected behind the throttle body (as in direction of air intake).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 05:26 AM

So i did a little work on the car. Finally had some time.

Pulled that evap solenoid and tested resistance, it was within spec (i think 39ohms). Also applied 12v to it and i felt the click internally. So that works. Inspected the little U shaped lined and found it to be pretty solid. The other line that runs to the driver side looked good as well.

I crawled back to the canister. Checked everything and tugged a little bit. Everything seems to be intact and solid connections all around.

For good measure i bought a Fuel cap from advanceauto.

Drove around and this time i got a P0442, SMALL EVAP LEAK instead of the P0456 which is VERY SMALL evap leak. LOL seems like i'm going backwards.

Kinda out of ideas. Might ship it to the shop.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

There are a number of evap lines that could be leaking, but you could have a leak at the fuel pump or level sending unit, or the fuel tank itself could have a leak...and by that I mean vapour evap leak, not necessarily leaking liquid fuel...