Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The intercooler or the piping might be rattling on something.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whirring/rattle from tranny

Ok I've read through all the pages and nobody has diagnosed this problem:

There is a whirring/knocking noise coming from the front drivers side. It happens when its idling in neutral, driving slowly in gear or coasting down a hill not in gear. When you push the clutch in, it goes away. The sound gets faster with RPM's.

I popped the hood and located it to the transmission or clutch area. Last year I got the clutch, flywheel, the whole 9 yards replaced. Any ideas what it could be? Throwout bearing?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yup TB is going out. I am guessing they didnt bother changing the TOB/slave when they replaced the clutch.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 03lances
Yup TB is going out. I am guessing they didnt bother changing the TOB/slave when they replaced the clutch.
The slave cylinder was leaking, that's why I replaced the clutch.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kzg5126
The slave cylinder was leaking, that's why I replaced the clutch.
Maybe they forgot to tighten the bolts then? Or you got a dud TOB, its happened to me before although it was the slave that was the dud. The slave cylinder and the TOB are one unit.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 03lances
Maybe they forgot to tighten the bolts then? Or you got a dud TOB, its happened to me before although it was the slave that was the dud. The slave cylinder and the TOB are one unit.
Looked into it more. Could it be the input shaft since the sound goes away with the clutch pedal pushed in?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kzg5126
Looked into it more. Could it be the input shaft since the sound goes away with the clutch pedal pushed in?
Ah yes it very well could be and I have changed that bearing in 2 different lancer transmissions so it must be a weak part. Here are some steps to test out this theory.

1. If the noise occurs no matter what is happening and you dont have the clutch pushed in, whether you are moving or not.

2. If you are moving, keep the shifter physically in gear and push in the clutch and hold it and listen for the noise, if it is there stay moving and keep the clutch pushed in while taking the car out of gear. If at that moment the noise stops then It is pretty well confirmed it is your ISB, also with the car out of gear and moving if you take your foot off the clutch and the noise returns this is also an indication.

To recap since I am a horrible explainer

Clutch pushed in + out of gear moving or not = no noise

Clutch pushed in + transmission in gear while moving = noise

Clutch pushed in + transmission in gear not moving = no noise

Clutch pedal off moving or not, in gear or not = noise

These spell bad ISB

Last edited by 03lances; Oct 3, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 01:46 PM

Talking

Hello everyone. I've got a strange clunking sound coming from the rear when I go over bumps and every cobble in the road. It sounds just like when the sway bar end links are loose, and thats what I thought so I took the entire sway bar out and it didn't make a difference.

I've got 40,000 miles on the car, lowered on Vogtland springs on the stock shocks, everything else is stock. The noise has been there the whole time, and I'm embarrassed to say I thought it was the sway bar all along.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

It could be the exhaust hitting something back there. Mine does that, finally getting around to replacing all three exhaust hangers this coming weekend. Hopefully that takes care of mine. Have a friend move the tail pipe around while you're in the car to see if its the same noise.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hmmwv
Hello everyone. I've got a strange clunking sound coming from the rear when I go over bumps and every cobble in the road. It sounds just like when the sway bar end links are loose, and thats what I thought so I took the entire sway bar out and it didn't make a difference.

I've got 40,000 miles on the car, lowered on Vogtland springs on the stock shocks, everything else is stock. The noise has been there the whole time, and I'm embarrassed to say I thought it was the sway bar all along.
To add to Auto's post. If you did not remove the perches for the RSB try removing those, this is the most likely thing that the exhaust would be hitting.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:00 PM

Thanks guys. I tried moving the exhaust around but it isn't hitting anything. I found I get the clunk when I go over a bump on one side of the car only, including the side without the exhaust. It makes a makes a noise when the wheel gets to the top of a bump and again when it comes off.

It seems I got the clunk not long after I installed the springs, likely a bad install. Is there anything on the strut or tower that may be worn or out of place?

Last edited by hmmwv; Oct 9, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ok so when im turning around 35 mph and up on bendy roads i have a vibration when i turn right but not left...any ideas what this could be? i feel the vibration mainly in floor
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:52 PM

Ok I got a newb question. I've got an 02 OZ Rally, an I noticed that when I'm driving there is a tick tick noise coming from the left front wheel. I just replaced the pads and rotors but now the noise is even louder. Any idea what this could be?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 06:09 PM

Hi everyone. Just today my car developed a metallic rattle at idle with the stick in Drive. It isn't the usual Shiver (RPM dipping in idle) and occurs whenever the car is at stopped to walking speed and the stick is in Drive. It sounded like a really large loose screw vibrating.

It's a 07 Lancer ES CVT.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 06:12 PM

I have a 2003 Lancer with 135,000 miles that just started making clicking noises out of no where. I checked my oil and noticed the level right at the tip as if it were leaking. I've changed my oil and filter every 3,000 miles and my next change is due at 136. I looked around and didn't notice any oil leaking out anywhere. Could there be an oil leak internally? If so, how can I check that?

Last edited by jigjoe; Mar 5, 2014 at 04:21 AM.

Quick Reply: post all STRANGE NOISE complaints here