Notices
Lancer Vendor Classifieds See what special deals and offers our vendors have going on! These vendors have registered their Tax ID and other pertinent information so you can be more assured when purchasing items.

Rear Tie Bars!!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres another installed pic on my car. like i said before, it may not be the purdiest and fancy piece on the market, its performance out-values any bling factor you could ever want. that and .. you can't really see it from behind unless ya look under the car.

big ups to engineerboy - I love my tie bar!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Tie Bars!!-af_lrtb.jpg  
Old May 21, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

will this affect alignment
Old May 22, 2004, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Good question... I don't think so.... IIRC the two bolts for the rear arms go through a rubber bushing- this then keeps the arms from separating... I'll double check in the morning

Steve? Any alignment differences that were noticable? I'll check with Urbanknight the resident alignment expert to verify.
Old May 22, 2004, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Further, I don't know if this will work on an Evo anyway. I cater to the ES, LS and OZ crowd.
Old May 22, 2004, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy
Good question... I don't think so.... IIRC the two bolts for the rear arms go through a rubber bushing- this then keeps the arms from separating... I'll double check in the morning
Steve? Any alignment differences that were noticable? I'll check with Urbanknight the resident alignment expert to verify.
No alignment issues that I can tell so far. Lemme put it this way:

when I bought the car on my test drive, I could let go of the steering wheel and have it go perfectly straight.

when I added my front strut bar, I could let go of the steering wheel and have it go perfectly straight.

now, after adding the rear lower tie bar, I can let go of the steering wheel and have it go perfectly straight and not pull or move one way or the other.

I checked the rubber on the tires and it was an even wear, no abnormal wear on one side or the other. i'm not sure how ya define the word alignment, but I haven't noticed anything that, to me, would suggest it has thrown off the alignment. if someone wants to pay for me to go get it checked, i'll be more than happy!
Old May 22, 2004, 06:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question - I'll probably put mine on tomorrow. How do you jack the car up for install? Should I jack it up using the side points, so that the suspension is free? That seems like the best system (off the top of my head).
Old May 22, 2004, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

I use my floor jack with a block on it. I also use a piece of rubber floor mat on top of the block to protect the underside of the car (with my jack I'm only adding about 3" of block to let the jack get to the required height).

Otherwise, yeah, jack from the sides and hold with stands Please be careful!!
Old May 22, 2004, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

as for installing... are the nuts or the bolts on the side where we are attaching... i would assume that if its the bolts, wouldn't it be a pain to get htem out wthout the arm wanting to fall out of place?
Old May 22, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Those be nuts. I probably wouldn't even have made one of these if I had to take a bolt out to get it installed.
Old May 22, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Question - I'll probably put mine on tomorrow. How do you jack the car up for install? Should I jack it up using the side points, so that the suspension is free? That seems like the best system (off the top of my head).
I actually used the tow-hook on the underside as my jack point (not sure if thats a no-no or not :P). I jacked it up and put jack stands under the control arms at first, but found that with the control arms up, it spaced the bolts apart and I wasn't able to get it to fit. I think the control arms need to be "hanging" in order to have the piece fit over them and then it slips on very easily and the bolts go right back on.

I also used a pneumatic impact wrench to both get the bolts off and put them back on. I tried for a while with sockets, a breaker bar and a normal pneumatic air wrench and couldn't get em off .. the impact wrench got em off in no time. Not to say it cant be done without the impact wrench, thats just what i used.
Old May 22, 2004, 08:26 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy _____! Rob's right, you became a vendor. Congrats, and best of luck.
Old May 23, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

is it really that rough to get the nuts off the rear suspension... I wanna get one, but I don't have any type of impact wrench...
Old May 23, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psionic98
is it really that rough to get the nuts off the rear suspension... I wanna get one, but I don't have any type of impact wrench...
its not too bad. some wd-40, a breaker bar and some muscle should do it easily. for me, it was just more convenient to use an impact wrench.
Old May 23, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I see... I have all of the above! Just gotta get my jackstands back from my buddy... also, its better to leave the control arms hang right?
Old May 23, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely let the arms hang.

If you don't have an impact wrench, and you plan on doing more than installing a tie bar, I'd recommend picking up an electric one. Harbor Freight tools has them for $60 normally, but I've seen them as low as $40. I like harbor freight. What you're not paying for with these harbor freight tools is the sound deadening insulation that the "real" tools have. At least that's been the only real difference I've been able to notice. I was ear protection at all times anyway, so a few extra dB from a tool isn't very noticeable

Also some auto parts stores have started carrying common automotive tools (like elec impact wrenches, drills, heat guns and the like) for about the same price.

Quick Reply: Rear Tie Bars!!