Notices
Lancer Vendor Classifieds See what special deals and offers our vendors have going on! These vendors have registered their Tax ID and other pertinent information so you can be more assured when purchasing items.

Rear Tie Bars!!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Tie Bars- on the cheap!

Hi everybody. I've been fabricating these for a few months now and have decided to go public. I don't do the parts fabrication full time, so I only have a limited number of these.
Please PM me with questions.

EDIT 6/18 (price change)
The rear tie bar is $30 + $7 to ship, they come in a variety of shades of black. They're spraypainted, not powdercoated so don't be afraid to go at it with some Krylon

Ladies and Gents. I am rescinding my previous opinion on the handling and predictability of the car when both the rear strut brace and tie bar are utilized. I put the tie bar on again last night and threw the car through several corners. The rear tracked the front better than ever!
If I had to guess, I'd say my initial impression came from driving on a night when the roads may have been damp.

Order all you want!! I'll make more

Here's a pic:
Attached Images  

Last edited by engineerboy; Jul 27, 2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old May 19, 2004, 12:46 AM

Hi there Engineer!

Would you mostly recommend the Rear Tie Bars OR the rear strut brace then? (ie, what are the advantages of each?)

I'm considering buying a couple items from you, as I have heard good comments from other (canadian) member(s).. I'm figuring out which parts to get...

thanks!
fluke
Old May 19, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'm mostly trying to get rear ties to the guys with subs in their trunks, or people who don't want to sacrifice the way the trunk is laid out. Digdat had been having a hell of a time figuring out how to get a strut brace in his trunk with his speaker box and he loved this little baby. In fact, the picture in the first post is of the tie bar on his car.

If trunk space isn't an issue, and you can afford it, I'd get the rear strut brace. In fact, I'd get the rear strut brace before I did the sway bar upgrade. I drove with just the rear brace and it had almost as much effect as just the sway bar upgrades. Of course, with both sway and brace you get that much less roll and flex.
I stress that adding a tie bar to an already tight rear end makes driving unstable around corners- the rear starts to slide out and take the whole car with it. Very scary, even on empty roads in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the question!
Old May 19, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by engineerboy
Hi everybody. I've been fabricating these for a few months now and have decided to go public.
You just made my day I've been waiting to see this post for weeks now. To anyone who might be interested in Engineerboy's product. They are great

They're not fancy looking, but they serve their purpose really well. I have the front strut bar, and I love it since day 1. I've been promoting his products to Canadian members for a while now, and will continue doing so until he tells me to stop. Engineerboy is great to deal with and makes quality product for real cheap. Don't pay 125$ for something you could get probably half price with him.

A big for Engineerboy
Old May 19, 2004, 12:13 PM
jtc
Evolving Member

I will also vouch for engineerboy. I've had his rear upper strut in my car for a few weeks now, and it's a well built solid piece that's as good as any other vendor's. Big props and bump!
Old May 19, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

do you guys have pics of the front strut, just curious as to how it came out. also, what imrpoves with the rear brace? is it turning, or what? i might be interested
Old May 19, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Would that be a good upgrade if I don't have a sway bar... I don't want to f'up the rear suspension, but wouldn't mind the upgrade of having the rear stay on the road while taking turns
Old May 19, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

While this thread is getting the most buzz- don't forget to actually look in the vendor classifieds section! I have threads for rear and front strut braces and the sway bar perches.

Archangel: I'll answer your question here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=81294

Psionic: If you don't have a sway bar at all, I'd definitely recommend a rear strut brace.
Old May 19, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

DAMN THATS A NICE PIC! lol ... car looks familiar ..

I've had engineerboy's rear lower tie bar on my car for about 2 months or so now. The functional purpose of it is excellent. I didn't want to cut up my trunk interior and I have a sub box in there, so I didn't want the rear strut bar. I went with the tie bar. It is amazing how well it "tightens up" the rear end of the car. For those who have installed a front upper strut bar, you can tell a difference on "roll" and cornering. This lower tie bar provided the same feeling, except for it being on the rear of the car. I feel my rearend (of the car) is much more tight now, and the rear wheels want to "follow" the front wheels much better. Cornering abilities and speeds have drastically improved as well.

This is an excellent price and an excellent product. Its quick and easy to install and provides a great suspension upgrade. While it may not be the fanciest looking product out there, the performance by far out-does any "bling" factor which ANY rear tie bar may add. Oh yeah .. I tried a "durability" test on it .. my 200lbs couldn't even get close to bending this piece of metal. So .. I had another 200 lbs stand on it with me .. nothing, it was rock solid.

I highly recommend this product and enineerboy. He's a great guy to deal with, great prices, fast shipping and great product.
Old May 19, 2004, 02:56 PM
Account Disabled

pm me with price to 91763..im very interested
Old May 20, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Price to ship to 33624 and ill buy one. Thanks
Old May 21, 2004, 04:30 AM

So, would the sway bar be better, or would you ideally want both? I don't think it really matters being that this is only $15 and the sway bar is MUCH more than that, but I am curious. I will prolly buy this n e way. This part is just like I like it: cheap yet effective.

Last edited by jozilla69; May 21, 2004 at 04:32 AM. Reason: added question
Old May 21, 2004, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jozilla69
So, would the sway bar be better, or would you ideally want both? I don't think it really matters being that this is only $15 and the sway bar is MUCH more than that, but I am curious. I will prolly buy this n e way. This part is just like I like it: cheap yet effective.
He's offering this as an alternative to the rear strut bar, not the sway bar. This and the strut bar perform the same approximate purpose, by keeping the two strut twoers more or less vertical better than when they are disconnected. Both the strut bar the the tie bar "tie" them together, but at different points.

A sway bar is a completely different piece, designed for a different purpose. It essentially gives a stiffer rear suspension by forcing whatever compression one side's suspension on the other side as well, ideally doubling the stiffness of the rear struts.

Everything goes to support stiffening the rear end, but I don't think the tie bar and the sway bar are really related past that.
-N
Old May 21, 2004, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by neilscully
He's offering this as an alternative to the rear strut bar, not the sway bar. This and the strut bar perform the same approximate purpose, by keeping the two strut twoers more or less vertical better than when they are disconnected. Both the strut bar the the tie bar "tie" them together, but at different points.

A sway bar is a completely different piece, designed for a different purpose. It essentially gives a stiffer rear suspension by forcing whatever compression one side's suspension on the other side as well, ideally doubling the stiffness of the rear struts.

Everything goes to support stiffening the rear end, but I don't think the tie bar and the sway bar are really related past that.
-N

That has to be about the best reply I've seen on these boards. No bashing or insulting and very informative. Thank you neilscully.
engineerboy you have pm
Old May 21, 2004, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jozilla69
That has to be about the best reply I've seen on these boards. No bashing or insulting and very informative. Thank you neilscully.
Aww... I'm touched ;-)
I just wish I had money to spend on this kind of stuff so I could put some of the stuff I've learned on these forums to good use... but alas, Discover, Visa, and Mastercard get all my money every month.
-N

Quick Reply: Rear Tie Bars!!