Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

My Car is Wrecked :-(

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2005, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Car is Wrecked :-(

Last night I ended up in a ditch because it was raining and the road I was on had tight turns. When I made a turn the car slipped I hit the guard rail on the passanger side and then I ended up in a ditch on the left side of the road. Its amazing that the car did not hit any big trees! Both airbags went off. I posted on a forum decicated to my car model. I drive a 2005 Civic Si. I have heard from 2 people that I should just get something new at this point. The car starts fine . The tow guy backed it out of the ditch and told me there was something wrong with the steering. When you steer to the right the car is hesitant. Im not attached to the car at all. So I really dont care if it is totaled. The car is brand new I purchased it back in July it has 5k miles on it. I have not called the insurance company yet because I was too upset last night. People are telling me that I should get something new because the steering is messed up and both airbags are deployed. This is a link to my yahoo photo album to show your pictured of the damage. http://photos.yahoo.com/amakusa47
Old Sep 17, 2005, 07:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That sucks
Old Sep 17, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks, bro. I know that most insurance companies will total the car if the cost of repair is varying percentage of the total cost of the car. It varies by state. If the airbags deployed, then that is a major cost factor in the repairs, and the car may likely be totalled. A new car may definately be in your future. If you're not capable of affording an Evo, there are a lot of exciting and relatively cheap cars out there. I'd consider the Cobalt SS or SRT-4 to name a few( Don't flame me, EvoM). They all offer a lot of car and excitment for the money. Good luck and post what happens!
Old Sep 17, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

The damage to your car doesn't look that bad. I highly doubt that the insurance company will total it out. Even with new air bags, fender, door skin, and mechanical repair, your still around 8-9k and that car is worth atleast twice that.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Get an o6 Si.

k20z3, DOHC i-VTEC, 197hp, 8kredline and LSD. Not bad for a car under 20k.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Get an o6 Si.

k20z3, DOHC i-VTEC, 197hp, 8kredline and LSD. Not bad for a car under 20k.
+1
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:20 AM

Man, sorry to hear that. Btw did you spray something to your licence plate? cuz looks like you have the "PhotoBlocker" .
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:49 AM

Yes I have a spray on my plates for thoes fking cameras lol. I got a ticket once on my car and the the I updated the pics by the way. I took some today in the light to show more detail
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlingBling3314
The damage to your car doesn't look that bad. I highly doubt that the insurance company will total it out. Even with new air bags, fender, door skin, and mechanical repair, your still around 8-9k and that car is worth atleast twice that.
That is what you think, but it's never that easy. I speak from experience. I wrecked my first '97 Eclipse GSX. The damage didn't seem that great, but once they took it into the shop, with the costs for the parts, and labor, the repairs came out to be almost 115% of the value of the car. The insurance company's value of the car, anyways. Now, Marukai's car is almost brand new, so he probably won't be in the same boat as I was, but never try and judge damage repair costs just from the look of things is what I'm saying. Especially if there is something wrong with his steering. He may have bent the unibody (I'm almost positive the Hondas have a unibody). Now, a unibody is easier to fix then a car with a frame, but it'll never be the same if that's the case.

Anyways, my opinion in this matter is see what the insurance company wants to do. If you're truly not happy with the car, move towards them totalling it (If they are willing to give you what you think is fair), then go out and buy something you'd be happier with. Possibly an Evo.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Get a Volvo so you hopefully don't kill yourself the next time, or slow down when you're driving at night in the rain on a road with tight turns.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

That is what you think, but it's never that easy. I speak from experience. I wrecked my first '97 Eclipse GSX. The damage didn't seem that great, but once they took it into the shop, with the costs for the parts, and labor, the repairs came out to be almost 115% of the value of the car. The insurance company's value of the car, anyways. Now, Marukai's car is almost brand new, so he probably won't be in the same boat as I was, but never try and judge damage repair costs just from the look of things is what I'm saying. Especially if there is something wrong with his steering. He may have bent the unibody (I'm almost positive the Hondas have a unibody). Now, a unibody is easier to fix then a car with a frame, but it'll never be the same if that's the case.

Anyways, my opinion in this matter is see what the insurance company wants to do. If you're truly not happy with the car, move towards them totalling it (If they are willing to give you what you think is fair), then go out and buy something you'd be happier with. Possibly an Evo.
I have taking estimating classes, along with extensive refinishing and body work. I realize that these are only pictures, but still the damage looks repairable. The only way I can see it being totaled is if Marukai lives in a major urban area where shop rates are $120 an hour.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 04:19 AM

What if the car isnt a total loss and they fix it? I don't want the car anymore. I want them to total it so that I can get something new :mwink: . Is there any way out of this if the car isnt a total loss? I don't want to end up with a car with a really bad resale value due to structure damage. Carmax will not take the car if it has frame damage.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry about the wreck bro, glad you came out okay.

If it has frame damage, it's probably gonna total.

As for something new, it's a 2005 you've had for like 3 months. How much newer does it get?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ru4real
Get a Volvo so you hopefully don't kill yourself the next time.
+1 VOLVO'S ROCK! (Note: see what I drive)
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:36 PM

that doesnt seem too bad... airbag repair is expensive, but body wise it doesnt look too bad. i'd say its about 6k worth of damage... probably not enough to total it...