Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Moving on (help with new cars)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Moving on (help with new cars)

Hello Guys,
So heres the deal, ive been a Evo fan for years and finally had the opportunity to buy my own a little over one year ago. Well my warrenty just went out (about 300 miles ago) and my second gear synchro is starting to go out on me. I have reluctantly decided to start looking at new cars, even though it pains me to part with my old one. Anyhow the real question is what are some good new cars out there now. Ive been looking into the 04 GTOs (maybe 05 if its the right price) and also the new Mustangs and some random used 03 BMWs. So what cars would you recomend for an ex-evo owner? I would like my new car to have some ***** but im not expecting the same kick in the pants the evo had. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:49 AM

you have over 50k miles?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

buy another evo.....if u really love the evo and its so fast why would u get rid of it
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ruchmate
you have over 50k miles?
I thought the 03 warrenty was only until 35,000 Miles, but I could be mistaken. Pleasee inform me if i am cus that would help a bit.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:26 PM

bumper to bumper is 3yr 36,000. I believe drivetrain is 5yr with i can't remember the mileage but its got to be 50k miles or more.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by trueno429
buy another evo.....if u really love the evo and its so fast why would u get rid of it
Because its also a pain in the ***, no cruise control and hard suspension make it really rough to drive long distance trips. Its really not the best crusing/long distance car and by no means was it meant to be. All I know is that after about 3-4 hours of driving my foot starts to fall asleep . Maybe ill look at the newer evos and see if they have any but I really dont want to run into the same problems again (synchros/possible transfer case). For the time being does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

07 G35
06 IS350
06 GTO
06 330i
05 M3
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Get a.......

06 IX RS

or...

06 IX GSR

or...

06 IX MR
Old Apr 12, 2006, 04:53 AM

Talking

Update, went and looked at some cars last night. Went to the BWM dealer and no one even came out to help me then went to Merc dealer and they treated me like i was had ebola. Went to the Pontiac dealer after that and they were super cool but were asking way to much for the GTO.

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Get a.......

06 IX RS

or...

06 IX GSR

or...

06 IX MR

HAH I see where you are going, maybe ill check the Mitsu dealership around here and see if they have any on the lot. I have always liked the RS, but would probably miss all the power options.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:15 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8me
Hello Guys,
So heres the deal, ive been a Evo fan for years and finally had the opportunity to buy my own a little over one year ago. Well my warrenty just went out (about 300 miles ago) and my second gear synchro is starting to go out on me. I have reluctantly decided to start looking at new cars, even though it pains me to part with my old one. Anyhow the real question is what are some good new cars out there now. Ive been looking into the 04 GTOs (maybe 05 if its the right price) and also the new Mustangs and some random used 03 BMWs. So what cars would you recomend for an ex-evo owner? I would like my new car to have some ***** but im not expecting the same kick in the pants the evo had. Thanks for the help in advance.
My first thought is that the cost to repair/replace the transmission and add an aftermarket cruise control is much less than the financial hit you'll take to get a new car.

If you really want to get a different car, it sounds like you're more into a GT type car. The Mustang GT is a pretty good value, and if you find the right dealer, you can get a good price on a GTO. The BMW 330 is a nice car, and while quite different from the Evo, will still be fun to drive. If you can find one with the ZHP package, or afford an E46 M3, you'll probably be happy. If you want to throw a few more bucks out there, an E39 M5 would be a great choice.