Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe Time Attack

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
And all of these cars have a ton of factory support. I can guarantee you that if I had Subaru's factory support that I'd walk every single Evo on Evo M. With money like that, there's no excuse not to be able to.

Think about it. GM Vs. Average Joe Tuner. That's like comparing Bill Gates' paycheck to that of a McDonalds employee's.
Lets be realistic here.

The car is using similar parts that every other car probably used -- sparco seats, aftermarket wheels/tires, ~30 more HP than stock, a nitrous system, roll cage, fuel cell, Ohlins shock absorbers, springs, sway bars, exhaust, stock brakes etc.

The other cars were engineered better from the factory with much more aftermarket support and years of tuning. All the parts used for the Cobalt will be available and GM will probably release the tuning specs like they did for the 1000hp+ Ecotec. You can see some of the build up here: http://powellmotorsport.com/modules....bum.php&page=1
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
Lets be realistic here.

The car is using similar parts that every other car probably used -- sparco seats, aftermarket wheels/tires, ~30 more HP than stock, a nitrous system, roll cage, fuel cell, Ohlins shock absorbers, springs, sway bars, exhaust, stock brakes etc.

The other cars were engineered better from the factory with much more aftermarket support and years of tuning. All the parts used for the Cobalt will be available and GM will probably release the tuning specs like they did for the 1000hp+ Ecotec. You can see some of the build up here: http://powellmotorsport.com/modules....bum.php&page=1
While I agree with what you're saying, there's a lot more to it than just slapping on some high-end aftermarket parts. Anybody could slap on a set of Ohlins coil-overs or something, but it doesn't mean it's going to improve the performance. These parts need to be tested, researched, dialed-in, and so forth and so on. These huge manufacturers have the necessary equipment and means to do so, more-so than a tuner company.

GM has already commented that they are going to be offering a lot of the parts on that car for public distribution.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The build-up of the Cobalt was on the first season of 'Street Tuner Challenge'. The motor stuff is 'off the shelf'. The suspension work most certainly is not! Relocating suspension points, and making custom components and whatnot is not something even a tuner shop can do easily.

And for the Time Attack where many of the small shops were towing in cars on trailers behind trucks, GM rolled in with 2 full semi's with a whole team for support.

This goes to show what GM engineers can do given a blank check, too bad they aren't allowed to do what they want on the passenger cars.....
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Domestic companies have the ability to make decent cars. They just usually choose not to do it. You can throw a whole bunch of money at any car and make it fast as hell! It is the factory stock quality and performance that counts.

I do have high hopes for the new SRT-4, since it will have the same platform and engine as the Evo X.

Last edited by Dinothegreat; Dec 23, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The suspension work most certainly is not! Relocating suspension points, and making custom components and whatnot is not something even a tuner shop can do easily.
And how do think aftermarket parts are developed?

Originally Posted by spdracerut
This goes to show what GM engineers can do given a blank check, too bad they aren't allowed to do what they want on the passenger cars.....
Yeah, those 'Vettes, V-series Caddies, and kappa cars are really lacking.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dinothegreat
Domestic companies have the ability to make decent cars. They just usually choose not to do it. You can throw a whole bunch of money at any car and make it fast as hell! It is the factory stock quality and performance that counts.
Umm, the Cobalt SS S/C is a "decent" car stock. Check out Car and Driver's Lightning Lap where it ran a MUCH MUCH faster lap time than the GTi, Civic Si and MX-5.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Umm, the Cobalt SS S/C is a "decent" car stock. Check out Car and Driver's Lightning Lap where it ran a MUCH MUCH faster lap time than the GTi, Civic Si and MX-5.
And beating a GTI is tough? I think not!
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Well it is going to be a long time before I stop thinking of them as a Cavalier.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Well it is going to be a long time before I stop thinking of them as a Cavalier.
+111111111111111111111111111
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

And beating a GTI is tough? I think not!
It depends on what your budget is. Not many sport compacts for $21k will easily outperform the GTi/Civic Si. I can think of 2 -- the Cobalt SS and Mazdaspeed 3. Additionally, for ~$500 you can upgrade to the GM stage 2 kit which makes 240-245 whp AND keeps the warranty. Not bad an entry level sport compact.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

An SRT-4 is still just a Neon, but I think they are very cool.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

evo is still just a lancer??
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on what your budget is. Not many sport compacts for $21k will easily outperform the GTi/Civic Si. I can think of 2 -- the Cobalt SS and Mazdaspeed 3. Additionally, for ~$500 you can upgrade to the GM stage 2 kit which makes 240-245 whp AND keeps the warranty. Not bad an entry level sport compact.
Not bad at all until you dip into a corner....
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
And how do think aftermarket parts are developed?

How many 'normal' guys modify the suspension mounting points though? I also believe the Cobalt TT car required custom hubs also. Some guys will go to the extent of changing the tie-rod geometry to fix bump steer, but not too many guys are welding new mounting points to their chassis.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Not bad at all until you dip into a corner....
Again, compared to what? A $34,000+ STi? A $40,000+ Corvette? A $35,000 G35? Lets just throw out price. By your logic, 99.99% of cars on the market handle bad when you dip into a corner......compared to a Carrera GT.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe Time Attack