Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Need some help with Audi vs Subaru...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with Audi vs Subaru...

With the fact of college going to start costing around 30k per year coming up for me my hopes of getting an EVO are about shot. I like my ralliart but want something turbo and awd, because it snows a lot, and i just want something turbo. I would love to get an EVO but I can only find either salvaged ones or ones with high high miles on them, and I am probably going to be doing a lot of driving which would make me cry, if i put a lot of miles on an EVO. So my plans are to bet something to beat around in during college and then get an EVO when I get out.

Right now I want to keep it under $13000(just to give myself extra money to mod with), so my two choices are:

2000-2001 Audi TT Quattro 1.8t

2002-2003 Subaru Impreza WRX

These are about the only two awd turbo cars that I like for under that price range. Im not too bent on being the fastest thing, but I want something that I can make semi fast and still be reliable and get good gas mileage.

Audi:

Pros:
1.) Great gas mileage, somewhere like 34-36 mpg
2.) Very very nice interior
3.) Insurance will probably be way cheaper than my Ralliart
Cons:
1.) Would be hard going back to two door
2.) Absolutely no room for my snowboard

Subaru:

Pros:
1.) Four doors, and even the option of going wagon
2.) Great modding support
3.) Love the huge foglights

Cons:
1.) Hate the bug-eyes
2.) Interior is cheap
3.) Gas mileage isn't that good

I would love to find the 225 hp TT version, but they are hard to come by, because I think the 6speed would be a great attribute to the car, but then gas mileage goes down so its a win lose kinda situation.

I would love to hear feedback, or other ideas on possible cars. Has anyone owned a TT and how was the experience, how fast can they get, and how reliable are they?

Any and all comments, helps, flames, or whatnot would be very much appreciated, thanks guys
Old Jun 30, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are just going to use the WRX to go to school then I would say choose the WRX but if you are planning on modding the WRX please stay away from that pocket whole. Have a emergency financial plan for the expected tranny failure.

I destroyed 2 trannys in less than two months not even driving it too hard and with moderate power.

You can't go wrong with the Audi but it is significantly slower than the stock WRX. Why not to buy a 2 G DSM put $1000-$1500 and make it a 13 sec beater?

Carlos
Old Jun 30, 2007, 02:13 PM

Well I have a cavalier that I am currently throwing and M62 supercharger on, and thats gonna be my 12 sec beater. I need something of higher class to ride around in and have at school, and something newer. Im a sucker for the feel of luxury but the output of power. I really like the 2g GSX's but every one that I find is somewhere around 10k, why not spend 1k more for an Audi right? plus the audi has a nicer interior.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you prefer the Audi... anyway the WRX is not bad either.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
godd@mn man, 3 cars! whats the ralliart for? lol
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:38 PM

Ohh I love the ralliart. It's been a great car over the last few years. Gonna sell it to one of my friends, he really loves the car and I'm gonna give him a good deal on it. My old job used to have me traveling a lot, so right now its sitting at 82,000 and I bought it in OCT of 04. He's in the guard, so he won't be driving it as much as me, so he will get more use out of the warranty in the next 20k. Just want something turbo and awd to drive around.

Would rather perfer an EVO, but gonna have to drive whatever I buy, becasue my Cavalier isn't really street legal, and school will take up most of my time, so just trying to find something respectable until after school. When I'm done I plan on buying a used IX and a brand new X or XI by then. I think the Audi has my attention more than the WRX. Too many bratty ricers, are upgrading from crap and running WRX's all over the streets up here, and a few people picked up EVO's, so I wanna go for something original. I've never seen a nice TT before, so I think im gonna go that route.

Funny thing is, all these punks with WRX's and the two EVO's around, are soo poor at driving that I could beat them with my Ralliart. Hate to see what happens when I get a faster car that will get off the line. On the 1/8th the one kid ran a 9.4 in his EVO. Bet him $50 I could beat his time by more than .5 in his car, so he tossed me the keys. I pulled a solid 8.54 and walked away with $50. Nobody where I live can drive, but a hand full of people?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
A couple of things to consider. I know a bunch of TT guys and none of them get anywhere near mid 30s for gas mileage. Not saying you can't do it, but it isn't at all common. I got mid 20s in my WRX wagon on the highway and they don't get a whole bunch better.

Second, I wouldn't mod the Audi much more than a basic flash and/ or exhaust. Much more isn't really worth the cost. Also, it will never be fast unless you dump big money into it.

Finally, the Audi's maintenance will be expensive. I would seriously check that out before you commit.

If you spend much time in the mountains, I would get the WRX wagon. You have more room and a roof rack for all your great. I loved mine and sometimes wish I would have never traded it. The Audi is a great car and the style is tops, but I'm not sure it is practical for you.

Last edited by robertrinaustin; Jun 30, 2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I destroyed 2 trannys in less than two months not even driving it too hard and with moderate power.

Carlos
That's an atypical experience. My (also "moderately powered") 270 whp 2005 WRX has been fine on the stock tranny almost 2 years of usage (15,000 miles - not a lot, but Singapore is a small country). I do drive it very hard though, redlining at least 30% of my roadgoing 1-2-3 shifts and doing weekend trackdays at Sepang F1 circuit at least once every 3 months.

Last edited by Turb0flat4; Jul 1, 2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for all the help form the WRX owners. Right now I think im leaning towards the TT unless I can find a nice used 04 WRX for under $15000. I'm not a big fan of the 02-03 and the bugeyes and crappy seats. I would definitely get the WRX if i could find a 04 or 05 for a nice price, but everyone still wants around 20k for one, and if im gonna spend that I would just buy and EVO. Im gonna do some looking, and test driving. Found a very nice TT for only $11000 within reasonable driving distance so im gonna go hop in it and see how it feels.