Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: 2003-2004 EVO VIII vs. 1997-2000 C5 Corvette?
Vetttte
30.00%
EVOooo
70.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

03-04 EVO VIII or 97-00 C5 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-04 EVO VIII or 97-00 C5 Corvette?

I am trying to decide whether to shoot for a 2003-2004 EVO VIII or a 1997-2000 C5 Corvette. I have taken other cars into consideration such as; STi, R32, E46 M3, SVT Cobra and a couple others but have ruled them out for various reasons. The STi just doesn't do it for me, the R32 though a great car... just isn't fast enough, the M3 costs too much to maintain/repair/modify and the SVT Cobra insurance is pure insanity.

I used to drive a 2005 Dodge SRT-4, I had an AGP WGA, 3" CTi TBE, springs, 72% Maddog STS, some cosmetics and other goodies. I sold the car in february in search of something else. I bought a 1998 Honda Accord LX so I could catch up on some debt and figure out what I really wanted. I loved my SRT-4 and it was no slouch in performance, straight line or handling... the motor and trans where strong too. My confidence is the car holding up was never in doubt... but it had no "bling" factor. What I mean when I say bling is, when you look at it you just think "niiice". You can't really do that with a FWD anything, some times but more often than not... NO. I want something that keeps my attention, a car I can really appreciate... instead of always wishing I had something else.

I have narrowed it down to a 2003-2004 EVO VIII or a 1997-2000 C5 Corvette. Both can be had for between $17-21,000 and that is my maximum. Both offer great potential and are very well rounded crowd pleasers. They both have there pros and cons and I understand this is an EVO forum but I wish to have advice from both EVOm. and Corvetteforum.

Here is my breakdown:

2003-2004 EVO VIII:

Pros:

I really like this car because of forced induction, the potential it offers and how complete the package is. This car is nimble, fun to drive and if you ever want/need more power it is on tap for MUCH less that anything else... you cannot say that for alot of cars. I would only have to have one car (living in the northeast) if I got one of these and I would have usable power in wet, dry and a lot of fun in the snow. There is space for whatever I need to bring with me and I think they look SO nice. The ultimate in bang for buck.

Cons:

These cars with miles on them more often than not have been used and abused, some 03/04 EVO's have had ZERO problems and under harsh driving and then others have been babied and seen the 4/5th gear grind issue, t-case, clutch, diff and misfire problems. AWD is more often than not, great but when it comes to highway play it just doesn't hold up to RWD or even powerful FWD cars that are hooking up... and as juvenile as this sounds sometimes you just wanna light em' up, or get sideways with no effort or harm to the vehicle. and these cars attract a lot of negative attention where as more often than not a cop would just shrug off a Vette thinking it is some 40year old mid-life crisis driving it like a grandma and when next to cars like Supras, Vipers, Cobras... it just looks like a toy (even though I am sure it can hang) it just doesn't have that badass kind of appeal. More like the underdog... I guess that's a con? Oh and insurance on these is outrageous compared to even a Vette... weird I know

1997-2000 C5 Corvette:

Pros:

This car handles well, has no power issues what so ever... the powerplant and other components are strong and the potential is enormous. These cars are a TRUE sports car with a heritage that goes back 40+ years (give or take). With some minor touches (wheels and what not) they are pure sex and though cheapy and chevrolet they can hang with the best of em' (even italians). There is power on tap in any gear and the LS1 is damn strong... besides who doesn't like a NASTY sounding 5.7L? These cars for what they cost and how long they can last are just a steal now. And considered to be the best Corvette ever made, yes even compared to regular C6's (umm well not the ZO6, ZR-1 etc). It's a car that you wash in your driveway on a sunny day and just say "mmm damnnn". Wax it, fire it up and tear *** down a straightaway or mountain roads, or the beach or WHATEVER. Mean

Cons:

The interiors rival a cavaliers, small things break, crap rattles, the shifter is that of a dump truck in stock form... they are a cheap car but I think a cheap I can deal with for what I am getting and what I am paying. I feel that a downshift into 4th with some bolt ons would make me forget all the cons that GM has to offer. And I say again, it's cheap... raw... rattly and sometimes annoying because of all the "not european".

I have a 1998 Honda Accord to drive in poor whether, it would be sold if I bought an EVO. What do you guys think? Any advice or things that I am missing?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evo.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Since you're in Maine, I would go out on a limp and say Evo. This has nothing to do with the fact that you're on an Evo forum.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I like the Evo b/c its good for a lot of different things. Its fast, handles well, and can tackle snowy roads with no worries. Also, being a 4 door is very nice. Just last night my girlfriend and I picked up my parents and took them out to dinner; both of my parents commented on how the backseat was comfortable and how it has more rear leg room than my mom's Grand Cherokee Limited. I am 6'3" and my girlfriend is 6'0" so neither of the front seats were crammed forward.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
I like the Evo b/c its good for a lot of different things. Its fast, handles well, and can tackle snowy roads with no worries. Also, being a 4 door is very nice. Just last night my girlfriend and I picked up my parents and took them out to dinner; both of my parents commented on how the backseat was comfortable and how it has more rear leg room than my mom's Grand Cherokee Limited. I am 6'3" and my girlfriend is 6'0" so neither of the front seats were crammed forward.
I am indeed leaning towards the EVO, but we also do have nice hot summers, nice fall and what not in Maine... even if I end up in PA... it is the same thing weather wise. I take that into consideration for the Vette but having one car is a bonus. It's such a tough call.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I'd say the evo, I'v raced a 2003 vette at the track and beat him, I have little mods and the vette was stock, and he claimed 360 hp. I think it's up to you, both cars have lots of potential but remember the evo can hold more passengers, like when you have kids you can still keep it.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't voted yet but have you checked an insurance premium on a cobra? I had a terminator (03-04 Cobra) before I got the Evo and it was expensive, but not THAT expensive.... not compared to a vette anyways
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
You're parents are insane! I had a 4 year old and a 6 year old ride in car seats in the back of my car giggling because of how bouncy it was... My parents hated it, and anyone around my age didn't like it much either. Hell, my mom rode in the back "seat" in the Porsche and liked it MORE than the back seat in the Evo. Course, I didn't have factory suspension or the factory exhaust (bouncy and loud), but the backseat of my Evo was avoided like the plague. But the whole kid comment makes sense, unless you're going to keep the accord or stick to a girl who has a 4 door before you have kids

For example, IF somehow the girl I end up with has a 2 seater and I still have the Porsche when I have kids (which is at least 5 years out) I'll probably buy a Jeep Wrangler or other SUV/truck to haul the brats around in.

Oh and btw, the Evo is going to be the most expensive of any of those to insure, I almost guarentee that.

Last edited by UT_Evo; Jan 27, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbotkin5
I haven't voted yet but have you checked an insurance premium on a cobra? I had a terminator (03-04 Cobra) before I got the Evo and it was expensive, but not THAT expensive.... not compared to a vette anyways

I'm 22... Cobra is about $390 a month and the Vette because of age and the typical driver... is $267...
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have raced C5 on the track...even z05's i wasnt impress at all....i have 360 whp at the time.

as far as handling, a neighbor of mine has 460 whp, could not believe a family car can overtake him on winding road.

Just for sake of arguement, even if you have c5 with 600whp how are you gonna hook it up to the road easily?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Depends on what you want to do with the car, but this is a Evo board and just how many days a year can you drive a Vette in Maine. Don't worry about snow, just consider rain and 300+ mm rears on a rwd car. Get the Evo and a set of all weather tires, thinking about some Blizzak LM25s myself for going on ski trips.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63 T
I have raced C5 on the track...even z05's i wasnt impress at all....i have 360 whp at the time.

as far as handling, a neighbor of mine has 460 whp, could not believe a family car can overtake him on winding road.

Just for sake of arguement, even if you have c5 with 600whp how are you gonna hook it up to the road easily?

People say I have raced this or that and I was not impressed... well it may have been the driver. and would you not drive a 600whp rwd car on the street because traction can be an issue? I think not. And more often than not it is the tires, or the street conditions... there are plenty of RWD making UBER amounts of power that stick, at the strip or the road course... the highways... roads whatever. Suspension set up, rubber, wheels... all contribute to traction. Not just HP numbers and RWD or FWD = no hook up. You make 600whp in an AWD EVO and you can have traction issues.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Remixx02

Evo.
if thats a z06 it would pwn the evo.

but yea i voted for vette. not because im a vette owner, but its different, and they take mods like a champ. and you can still turbo/sc it and etc.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
People say I have raced this or that and I was not impressed... well it may have been the driver. and would you not drive a 600whp rwd car on the street because traction can be an issue? I think not. And more often than not it is the tires, or the street conditions... there are plenty of RWD making UBER amounts of power that stick, at the strip or the road course... the highways... roads whatever. Suspension set up, rubber, wheels... all contribute to traction. Not just HP numbers and RWD or FWD = no hook up. You make 600whp in an AWD EVO and you can have traction issues.
Noobie,

All im telling you is base on my experience nothing more nothing less.
driver error? possible...but less probable .

would i not drive 600whp rwd, yes if it is on slick. otherwise, whats the use if you cant hook up 1 to 3 gear. if you compare to evo 600whp with summer tire i will be 1 car lentgh ahead from dig or low speed not to mention i can still drive evo in the rain.

you have to ask yourself, what goal do you want to attain: performance? function? show? or status symbol or better yet, i want to maintain my american musculinity that i will stick with muscle car that can only run straight.

did you search on youtube?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

and im not bashing american car..i think they have its purpose that cater for some people.

Quick Reply: 03-04 EVO VIII or 97-00 C5 Corvette?