Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

How fast is an M3???

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2002, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pimpson
When you start the car it takes a few minutes but the redline moves from 6 to 8k as the engine warms. the sculpting of this heavier car is remarkable, almost 50/50 weight balance. (Check an MCoupe..they're like 65/35)
This is wrong...
MCoupe has the near 50/50 weight distrib also...
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...20Coupe&page=4

The new one for 2001 has 315hp instead of the old 240hp...

From what I understand... ALL BMWs has near 50/50 weight distribution..
from 3 series to the NEW 4 ton 745i (the ugly one) to the X5s... all
have near 50/50 weight distibution...
Old May 12, 2002, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Whatever M3, even the light version, they are some slow-*** machinery. The funniest thing is that the M3s are actually breaking down like nobody's business, the engine just let's go at around 10k km, lots of things like that being reported all over the world.... it's not only slow, but also unreliable
Old May 12, 2002, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Michaelk
Whatever M3, even the light version, they are some slow-*** machinery. The funniest thing is that the M3s are actually breaking down like nobody's business, the engine just let's go at around 10k km, lots of things like that being reported all over the world.... it's not only slow, but also unreliable
I definitely DISAGREE
Old May 12, 2002, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Fuhgedaboudid!!

Fuhgedaboudid!!

I've heard of some breaking down, but every car make has some bad apples...btw, bimmer owners I've known all had good experiences, except with the damn dealers and the bad services they provide!
Old May 13, 2002, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

i used to be an M3 (E36) owner, and must say that the car was disappointing. Took the E46 M3 for a day and liked it even less. So this is one ex-M3 owner who is less than impressed
Old May 13, 2002, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Never owned one, but driven quite a few E36s and I've said it many times, not that great. hehehehe, reg. the bad apples, no, not every car has bad apples like that, every badly engineered car has. It is completely unacceptable for any car to have something like a serial fault which is so big, even more so for BMW...
Old May 14, 2002, 06:47 AM

Question

Originally posted by 3171
i used to be an M3 (E36) owner, and must say that the car was disappointing. Took the E46 M3 for a day and liked it even less. So this is one ex-M3 owner who is less than impressed
The e36 was disappointing how, exactly? It's quick around town or on the track, comfortable, luxurious in an understated way, and it quite obviously handles very well. Used ones are also quite reasonably priced. So what's not to like?
Old May 14, 2002, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

donkeymaster,

its not quick (stock WRX is just as fast) and the handling is only OK if you drive it around town (no feedback in the steering and snap oversteer). its OK if you want to use it to pose around town and cruise down the highway, that's what it was designed for but if you take it to the track prepare to be dissapointed.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

donkeymaster,
its not quick (stock WRX is just as fast) and the handling is only OK if you drive it around town (no feedback in the steering and snap oversteer). its OK if you want to use it to pose around town and cruise down the highway, that's what it was designed for but if you take it to the track prepare to be dissapointed.
human #3171,
I admit a WRX is street fast as in stoplight to stoplight (as fast as an E36 on street only), but **** it sucks on the freeway, especially when you downshift and race on freeway due to drivetrain loss. I think of the WRX as a truck, where it flies initially until you get on the freeway... I see it very humerous when I see V6 sedan/family cars take it on the highway!
Old May 14, 2002, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

evosoul,

is the US WRX different from JDM or euro WRX? Like I said I used to have a euro-spec M3 (286bhp stock) with upgraded suspension and exhaust mods and my dad has a 95 WRX (stock engine but has Tein suspension). On the highway, the WRX keeps up until 160 km/h and has more predictable handling.

which M3 do you have and holw long have you owned it?
Old May 14, 2002, 01:32 PM

Some people...

donkeymaster,

Huh? What do you mean it's not quick because a WRX is just as quick? 0-60 in ~5.5 seconds is absolutely quick. It's not astonishing, blinding acceleration, but it's quite fast. My bike does 0-60 in a hair over 3 seconds, which no street car you'll ever drive will even touch -- does that make your cars slow?

I do take my M3 to the track, and I can go faster than much "quicker" cars with it. So, no, I don't find it very disappointing when I overtake Z06s and 500HP 300zxs in the corners. No feedback in the steering? Do you live on mars? Compared to a shifter kart, definitely not. Compared to an Elise, probably not. Very likely not compared to the Evo, either, but infinitely more liveable than any of those off the track.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

not saying its a bad car. its just that for the price i expected more.

i'm glad that you have overtaken other "quicker" cars on the track, maybe the car suits your driving style.

btw, comparing a bike to a car is not an apple to apples comparison
Old May 14, 2002, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

donkey, have you ever driven an Evo? My guess is no, cause you obviously have no idea of the difference between the two cars. There are three people here that have driven both cars, two of them owned both and they say the same thing, are you saying we are lying? Or are you the better judge as you have never driven an Evo? Answer these questions, then I will continue....

Quick Reply: How fast is an M3???