Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

I HAD decided on a mazdaspeed3.....

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I HAD decided on a mazdaspeed3.....

but I went to several dealers to test drive and purchase but they were *****'s at every location and said it's policy that they don't give test drives unless you are doing paper work to buy . And I'm not crazy about buying a car w/ out driving it first, then I find out the Rallyart is AWD and turbo, and I think it looks pretty sexy, so it gives me even more pause. I know it's all speculation right now, but how do you think these two cars will compare performance wise? I'd especially like to hear from the Evom guys out there w/ speed3's. If you had to do it all again would you wish you waited for the RA? Thanks in advance.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

lol im in a similar boat....except im looking at the awd i-4 turbo ms6. best thing to do would be to wait for the car to come out before you make any decisions because no one really knows how "good" the RA is yet
Old May 1, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by detroitmuscle
lol im in a similar boat....except im looking at the awd i-4 turbo ms6. best thing to do would be to wait for the car to come out before you make any decisions because no one really knows how "good" the RA is yet
I agree. The MS3 is a great car and it's getting some pretty good aftermarket support from Cobb and others. But you need to do your own head-to-head comparo. Also, if you're interested in a hatch you might want to wait to see if the Sportback comes to the US as a Ralliart.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitmuscle
I sold my EVO VIII and got a MS6. Black on black with GT package very hot looking car, one of the better interiors, but the car as far as performance sucked. I missed my evo so much so I find a IX SE with low miles in stock form and traded my MS6 in just after 4 months of ownership. I hated that car and it was because I owned an EVO prior to it.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

I think the MS6 looks great but as you say performance is sorely lacking, that however is not the case w/ the speed3, the interior is pretty sweet as well, it also has the same gay *** option packages that the rallyart is going to have, just to get the better radio and hid's you have to jump up to the GT package. Navigation 2500 bucks? No thank you.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Plus it's hard to do a comparo when they won't let you drive it!
Old May 1, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dzraduzit
Plus it's hard to do a comparo when they won't let you drive it!
I can't believe they won't let you drive an MS3 given how many are sitting on the lots. If they're still won't let you drive one by the time the RA comes out, you've got a serious image problem that you might want to address before attempting to get another test ride. Take out all the peircings, cover up those tats with a long sleeve button-down Oxford, and wear some nice khakis or something.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

No piercings, relatively clean cut, I even had my 3yr old son w/ me. I went to 3 places and they all said no test drives for MS3 is mazda policy and they don't negotiate price on them, they might have done me a favor because I didn't know the new RA is awd and turbo at the time.

I also drove up in my Evo, which should show them I can handle the power of the car, or maybe that was my down fall?

Last edited by dzraduzit; May 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I would have told them to eat me!! What do you mean I can't test drive a MS3?

F U!!!

I worked at a Porsche Ferrari Maserati and Aston Martin dealership and I know I took several people for rides in cars that I knew they wouldn't buy. But they looked me up and bought other cars from me. So a good dealer is the one perspn you need- those Mazda dealers don't have the sales portion down. I would ask to drive the RX8 then the speed 3 to see if they'd budge. If not you don't need the car anyways
Old May 2, 2008, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

That's total crap what the dealers are doing to you. I bet it's the evo. They just think you want to check out the competition. In the last few weeks I have test driven the MS3, CSRT-4, Pontiac G8, 335i and the Evo X. Nobody batted an eye when I asked for a test drive. Once I rode up in my wife's Armada, others I pulled up in my pos 91 camry. I figure I must look like a whale, though, middle aged white fart that is looking to blow some cash on a mid-life crisis car.
A few years ago I showed up in dirty sweats with the smell of beer on my breath and drove a new STI within 2 minutes of arriving. When I returned, a cocky asian kid with a hot girlfriend was in a shouting match with them refusing to let him drive another STI. I asked why they turned him down and they said he looked like tourist.
Guess it all depends on how likely you look to buy.

BTW, the MS3 is a great bargain, but I think you'd be disappointed in it after your evo. I was and I sold mine two 2.5 years ago.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

The Mazda dealer in GA let me drive the Speed6 and 3 back to back as i was looking at trading the Evo in a while back for something with more creature comforts. Thankfully, I couldn't afford either at the time. My comparison is the Speed6 was much nicer IMO, but the 3 was faster. Both were great cars with nicer interiors and smoother rides than the Evo and the previous Lancer Ralliarts I had driven, but than again the Evo wasn't meant to be comfortable

As far as the Speed3 vs. the Ralliart, I really couldn't make a decision. The Ralliart uses the same 4B11 as the Evo X, so its capable of awesome power and its AWD which I have to say after having the Evo I couldn't go back to RWD/FWD unless its a 2nd car. Also the interior on both the Speed3 and Ralliarts are nice! My money would go to the Ralliart right now.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Pretty much anything will be a disappointment after the Evo but I have a new baby, and I need a warranty. I got my bike for thrills. I'll be selling the Evo to a private buyer, since they were only offering 17 for my car which only has 18,200 miles on it, though it is heavily modded. I was there for like 2 hours and no test drive. I did hear that the place that owns the 3 mazda dealerships around austin was getting them from all over so they can charge what they want, don't know if it's true or not.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:12 AM

How is it that a Mazda is too precious to allow let test drives.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:31 PM

****, im selling my speed3 if anyone wants it shoot me a pm.. >.<
Old May 3, 2008, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wtf? Mazda used to let you drive the **** out of their cars at their zoom zoom events.