Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

So what is the consensus on the new Cobalt SS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
That's wonderful. Looking foward to seeing what a modded SS can do.
It seems you have some kind of abstract definition of modded. Prey tell why you wouldn't consider it stock - we can go from there.

However, simple math is not your specialty. I suggest you look the word "many" up in the dictionary before you "try" again.
I guess reading comprehension isn't your specialty, ehh? I wasn't the one who proclaimed there were "many" test. Maybe english is a second language for you?

Care to take another whack at it, kiddo?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
E.Haskell is completely correct. The only way to fairly compare two cars is stock-for-stock. One you start modding, the only limit is money.

$10k into the SS and it'll EASILY beat the X in everything except 60' time.

In case you guys don't remember, GM Performance built the old Cobalt SS that was supercharged for that TV show on Speed. Then, at one of the first Time Attacks here in the US, it beat EVERYTHING. Including Skyline GTRs, and whatever else showed up that day.

I don't get why some of you are so stuck on the Evo being a 'superior' car. Yes, it's a very good car, but the track numbers have shown that stock for stock, the SS is just as fast. If you want to talk about modding, then I think using the price difference between the two cars is a fair amount to allow for modding the SS, at which point it will destroy the Evo.

So you want to put $5k into the Evo? Put another $5k into the SS and I bet it'll still be faster. You're not going to reach the point of the Evo eclipsing the SS in performance, dollar for dollar, probably until you get around $50k-$60k, or more.

Speaking of bang for the buck, I just came across this: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...4-4_169452.htm

13.2 @ 104.3 with just a reflash and catback.

I imagine the GM kit should give similar results (with the warranty in tact).
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by E. Haskell
It seems you have some kind of abstract definition of modded. Prey tell why you wouldn't consider it stock - we can go from there.
Stock means how it comes out of the factory, as delivered to the dealer. Your definition doesn't apply.

ICare to take another whack at it, kiddo?
I already showed you where your reasoning was wrong. Have someone reread my posts to you.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Stock means how it comes out of the factory, as delivered to the dealer. Your definition doesn't apply.
So let me gets this straight.....

GM made parts
GM engineered, sold and tested
GM warranty retained while using said parts
GM certified power numbers
GM tested to meet all emissions regulations
GM installed via GM dealerships

And it's not stock because some guy at a GM dealership puts it on instead of some guy at the GM factory?

Honestly, who give a shyt about who puts it on?

I already showed you where your reasoning was wrong. Have someone reread my posts to you.
Translation: I've been owned.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
hmmm LSD is no longer an option on the Build It thing on the GM website