Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

LS1 Rx7 vs C6 vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1 Rx7 vs C6 vs TSX

To start, i'm aware the TSX is not even remotely the same type of car as the other two, i'm only including it due to it being an option, if I choose to go practical.

I told myself i'd pick up a nice lexus / bmw / acura daily driver with a warranty and leave the modified game, but nothing get's me going like a fast car.

I'm also considering evo's - but finding what I want with an evo is very unlikely (06 white MR low miles not beat to crap)

So, it's either - "grow up" and get the TSX and use it for a diverse daily driver and suck up the lack of speed and handling.

Or get an rx7 or a c6. I'm looking at two right now, 2006 red on black C6 2LT unmolested 15k miles, $30k

94 Black on Black LS1 swapped RX7 3k on swap 70k on chassis 2 owners very clean swap done right all suspension wear items changed mint interior etc. $20k

The price difference doesn't really matter to me, but what would you guys do? I'm concerned that the RX7 would have lost it's feel with the swap and the geometry change of the stock suspension. I LOVE the looks of it though, and I like the idea of the -400lbs chassis.

The vette would be the more adult version of the sports car path, more refined, probably quieter and more reliable with a warranty - but i'd also be paying for it.

Kind of torn, looking for impressions and ideas from you guys.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

No matter how 'grown up' you think you need to be nothing beats a scary hot rod car thats cleaner/neater and has more diverse street cred than a new car.

That being said the LSX swaped FD would be a way cooler car than the others. 20k also? Never ending aftermarket support? Utmost street creed of the 'tuner' base and the mostly conservative domestic only lovers when they see the coil on plug LSX under the hood? FD cars are just as nice or nicer looking than the stereotyped C5/C6 grey hair ex-disco-danny owners poor mans Ferrari.

Sounds like all the hard work is done with th FD? Go make freinds with LSX tuners or learn LSx edit software and go nuts

FDLSXFTW
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about an IS-F?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DawnoffateX
To start, i'm aware the TSX is not even remotely the same type of car as the other two, i'm only including it due to it being an option, if I choose to go practical.

I told myself i'd pick up a nice lexus / bmw / acura daily driver with a warranty and leave the modified game, but nothing get's me going like a fast car.

I'm also considering evo's - but finding what I want with an evo is very unlikely (06 white MR low miles not beat to crap)

So, it's either - "grow up" and get the TSX and use it for a diverse daily driver and suck up the lack of speed and handling.

Or get an rx7 or a c6. I'm looking at two right now, 2006 red on black C6 2LT unmolested 15k miles, $30k

94 Black on Black LS1 swapped RX7 3k on swap 70k on chassis 2 owners very clean swap done right all suspension wear items changed mint interior etc. $20k

The price difference doesn't really matter to me, but what would you guys do? I'm concerned that the RX7 would have lost it's feel with the swap and the geometry change of the stock suspension. I LOVE the looks of it though, and I like the idea of the -400lbs chassis.

The vette would be the more adult version of the sports car path, more refined, probably quieter and more reliable with a warranty - but i'd also be paying for it.

Kind of torn, looking for impressions and ideas from you guys.
To me, if you want a sedan with a more grown up feel and performance, get an Evo X. What about a BMW 135I?

Or if you really want a white 06 MR, play the waiting game. Dont get rushed by having to think you have to get a car right this second, its too much money to make a mistake on the wrong car.

As far as the Vette, well they are nice but did you drive one yet? Fast and perform well, but they just seem so big and hard to pinpoint exactly what the car is doing. Maybe its the isolated steering feel...

About the RX7, definately a cool car with unlimited support for the LS. You mention the owner changed all the suspension wear items. Unless that includes new (and different length) A-arms, fully adjustable tie rods/lateral links, etc, the suspension GEOMETRY has not changed. The feel of the car might change, but thats not the geometry.

Its all about what you want, and what feels right. When you find and drive the car for you, you will know it. I had that feeling with my Evo VIII, and the Elise I intend to purchase in the near future.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 by a MILE. Come on man, so easy to mod, just the best all around sports car. Stay away from the modded RX-7, fast yes but man trouble ahead. TSX 2nd.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

C6 = old man/woman image...the car has too much comprimose built in stock for the average upper middle class 401k junkie....

This means your hardcore and into cars..... rip the wing off if you wanna be considered or feel more grown up
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

C6, for 30K you should be able to score a newer C6. . hell give it a tiny bit of time and you may be able to pick up a 08 C6 for around that.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Easy, RX7 with the LS1!!! With the engine swap, it got rid of the only unreliable part of the car. Plus, the LS1 is retarded easy to mod... a cam swap, LS6 intake manifold, exhaust and you should be at 400whp with a torque curve as flat as florida.

Also, I've driven a C6, and had a number of friends that tracked one that also have raced in NASA, and we all agree: the C6 feels like a boat. It just feels like a 'big' car. Yeah, it might be fast, but it just doesn't have that nimble feel to it.

Actually... link me up to the FD, I'll sell my Evo for it.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking with experience driving all three(and owning/building an LS6 RX7) get the RX7..it does not in any way lose its handling and in many cases ends up taking a few lbs off the front end giving it closer 50/50 weight balance.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
How about an IS-F?
Out of my price range, but I LOVE that car. My budget really caps at 30k (I can afford up to 40 but dont' want to, and if I could lower it to 20-25 I will - but who wouldn't)

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
To me, if you want a sedan with a more grown up feel and performance, get an Evo X. What about a BMW 135I?

Or if you really want a white 06 MR, play the waiting game. Dont get rushed by having to think you have to get a car right this second, its too much money to make a mistake on the wrong car.

As far as the Vette, well they are nice but did you drive one yet? Fast and perform well, but they just seem so big and hard to pinpoint exactly what the car is doing. Maybe its the isolated steering feel...

About the RX7, definately a cool car with unlimited support for the LS. You mention the owner changed all the suspension wear items. Unless that includes new (and different length) A-arms, fully adjustable tie rods/lateral links, etc, the suspension GEOMETRY has not changed. The feel of the car might change, but thats not the geometry.

Its all about what you want, and what feels right. When you find and drive the car for you, you will know it. I had that feeling with my Evo VIII, and the Elise I intend to purchase in the near future.

Yea - I can't stand the evo X and I also can't stand the fact it looks like an is250 from behind (hate that rear end) - the 135 is a pretty girly looking car too. I considered a 335 for a long time and was actually two days away before picking it up when I realized a bmw isn't a liability I want to get into. I want to mod, so i'd lose my warrantly - mods are 3x as expensive, maintenance is terrible, the cars are unreliable etc - so it opened the flood gates for me with other cars.

I think about say, the 370z and I really like the way it looks - but then I think well.. I can get more horsepower , lighter weight, and better mpg in a vette.

Then I think i can get same horsepower, lighter weight, and better mpg in a swapped rx7 =P slippery slope..

Originally Posted by High_PSI
C6 by a MILE. Come on man, so easy to mod, just the best all around sports car. Stay away from the modded RX-7, fast yes but man trouble ahead. TSX 2nd.
This was my primary concern, a modified older car - but really, the ls is bullet proof and what else can really go wrong? (jinx) but seriously, it's not some huge horsepower turbo charged 20 year old ticking time bomb anymore - unless im missing something here. I figured rx7 would be best of both worlds.

I also like the idea of not worrying about my car getting broken into or stolen, about hitting "start" on a remote start from my kitchen table on a cold winter day and having a nice comfy ride waiting for me with the heat already going and the heated seats and heated outside mirrors etc. but i want speed =\

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Easy, RX7 with the LS1!!! With the engine swap, it got rid of the only unreliable part of the car. Plus, the LS1 is retarded easy to mod... a cam swap, LS6 intake manifold, exhaust and you should be at 400whp with a torque curve as flat as florida.

Also, I've driven a C6, and had a number of friends that tracked one that also have raced in NASA, and we all agree: the C6 feels like a boat. It just feels like a 'big' car. Yeah, it might be fast, but it just doesn't have that nimble feel to it.

Actually... link me up to the FD, I'll sell my Evo for it.
Can you tell me anymore about the ls6 intake manifold? Pros cons cost installation etc. I was thinking what else I could do if i I wanted some more power. Full intake exhaust is already done and i don't want to do head and cam work (if I pick up the rx7 - but the same would apply for any vette I suppose) I was thinking a pulley set and an intake manifold is really about it.

Thanks for replys!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DawnoffateX
Can you tell me anymore about the ls6 intake manifold? Pros cons cost installation etc. I was thinking what else I could do if i I wanted some more power. Full intake exhaust is already done and i don't want to do head and cam work (if I pick up the rx7 - but the same would apply for any vette I suppose) I was thinking a pulley set and an intake manifold is really about it.
The LS6 intake manifold is just the version that comes off the LS6 engine, as opposed to the LS1. It'd think it'd be a pretty easy swap as it's right in the middle and on top of the engine.

There's an aftermarket intake mani (can't remmeber who makes it, but should be very easy to find) for LS engines that's great, not sure if it's worth the price for performance over the LS6 mani though.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

1st C6
2nd Ls1 swapped FD
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:46 PM

RX-7... as long as it was done right is my choice