Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

toyota supra

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe, maybe not

there are supposed to be a lot of killer cars coming out but with all the regulations and miles per gallon stuff coming out, who knows what will actually get released.

the NEW NSX - with a v10

Toyota Supra made a protype that was beautiful

Audi released theirs....

I guess the question is would you rather have a nsx or a supra.....

I see what a turbo can do on an NSX - 500 - 600 whp in an NSX, that car flies.....

never had the chance to ride or drive a supra but it is a car that they could release today with the same styling and have it look just as good.... The supra's are just down right dirty...

I think toyota should come out with a supra again to combat the skyline and chevy corvettes....

I think if they could make a 500-600 horse supra and keep it in the 50-60k range they would have a beast on their hands....
Old Jan 9, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
maybe, maybe not

there are supposed to be a lot of killer cars coming out but with all the regulations and miles per gallon stuff coming out, who knows what will actually get released.

the NEW NSX - with a v10

Toyota Supra made a protype that was beautiful

Audi released theirs....

I guess the question is would you rather have a nsx or a supra.....

I see what a turbo can do on an NSX - 500 - 600 whp in an NSX, that car flies.....

never had the chance to ride or drive a supra but it is a car that they could release today with the same styling and have it look just as good.... The supra's are just down right dirty...

I think toyota should come out with a supra again to combat the skyline and chevy corvettes....

I think if they could make a 500-600 horse supra and keep it in the 50-60k range they would have a beast on their hands....
Umm a 600hp car for 60k yeah it's not going to happen sorry.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by WickedIXMR
I got a headache just from reading that. What are you 10? Seems like it..
no i 6

btw keep on topic if not dont post

Last edited by StrikeFreedom; Jan 10, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JEP
I work with a lot of (Japanese) toyota engineer's and there are a few cars coming down the line. Just wait...
I sure hope so. Been waiting for Toyota to come out and compete. Hopefully its something affordable.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
please see your high school's basic economics class for any further answers. while you're there, drop in on an english class or two.

as for why they dont make it. tons of reasons:
cost to design a new model.
demand for coupes dropped off the deep end in the mid-late 90s.
low profit margins
just to name a few...
but im sure if Toyota knew you loved the car so much, they certainly would have continued to build it. perhaps a kind letter to toyota might sway them. have your teacher proof read it for spelling errors first.
Jesus Matt, you're such a dick... I was going to post a similar reply.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

There are few cars that make Supra unlikely to happen anytime soon:

Nissan GTR
Lexus LF-A
Toyota FT-86

Following the trend of automotive industry in general and the difference between R32 to R34 Skyline GT-R vs R35 GTR, below features are most likely set:

- 18" wheels standard, 19" optional

- 6 pot front brakes, 4 pot rear, carbon ceramic unlikely even as option

- Little over 3900lbs

- Slightly taller, wider, but possibly shorter

- Most likely direct injection, although I am sure they are aware of the consequences

- Dual clutch auto, possible manual option

- May not sell in North American market

- 500-520hp from a twin turbo engine, not sure if it would be from a modified 3.5L V6 (stroked, bored etc) or 4.6L/5.0L V8 *

- Need equal or better amenities than a GTR, probably leather seats, xenon + LED lights, bluetooth and decent sound system, front and side airbags maybe head as well, power seats possibly heated *

- Intent to run in JGTC series *

- Should equal or better a Nissan GTR by a slight margin in straight line *

- Should run about $60-65k USD (has always been slightly cheaper than a Skyline GT-R) *

* These features are very likely to affect LF-A negatively

That is a helluva car to build to sell at 60-65k, while gambling in such terrible and unpredictable market, with possibility of affecting their flagship supercar with controversial pricing. It is possible though that they may consider it after testing the waters with FT-86.

The demand for a 60-65k production car is very different from a 20-25k rare and used car, let alone the modability. If you want them to keep building Supra's, I'm sure they will if you promise to buy 30,000 of them every year at 60-65k each...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

i thought initially the LF-A was rumored to be the next supra and was pushed to the luxury division of toyota.

so in a way the supra's successor is already here but not close to the same class with a rumored $400k price tag.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Best option I could imagine would be that, down the road, getting a tweaked version of the upcoming FT-86 as the next 'Supra.'