Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

SmikeEvo's 2011 Mustang v6 Performance Package - HD Pics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
OEM v. AL Drive Shaft Testing:

Big thanks to Force-Fed Performance out of Fayetteville, NC. Guys over there and at Epic Motorsports are top notch. My work keeps me traveling. I had found out I was needed on another assignment right when the drive shaft and safety loop came in. Guys said, "No problem. Parts are here. Come on in." Hard to beat the customer service. They fit me in. And helped with the testing. If you are in the Fayetteville, NC area - it is worth it to give the Force-Fed Performance guys a call!

The biggest gripe I had with the v6 Mustang was Fords decision to use a lower quality drive shaft and limit the car to 115 mph. Rather than using the GT drive shaft. Which from a manufacturing standpoint is a bit strange. The v6/GT/Cobra all share transmissions and rear-ends. Why not share the part in-between?

Old v. New:

The Shaftmasters Aluminum v6 drive shaft is a high quality piece. And 10lbs lighter than the OE unit. Thats 10lbs less rotational mass. Can't complain about that.

For the testing we used 3rd gear. Car has no limiters now. I was not comfortable using 4th for the drive shaft testing given it takes the car to 130mph. And after seeing a few failures already. For before and after tests 3rd was used.

Peak whp/wtq was unchanged, however, a gain of 8 whp/wtq was achieved across the power-curve. I was honestly surprised. Not expecting to gain that much power from the new drive shaft. This modification was for my own safety and track days.

Final pulls after we did the before and after testing, using 4th gear, showed the car makes 273 whp and 252 wtq on this Mustang Dyno. Force-Fed has tested a car on their dyno then drove over and tested the car again on another area shops DynoJet and found a 12% correction factor (Mustang reads lower). 273x1.12= 305.76 whp and 252x1.12= 282.24wtq in DynoJet terms.

Basing off Motor Trends dyno testing at K&Ns DynoJet (found here).

Originally Posted by Motor Trend
2011 Mustang V-6
3rd gear (1.67:1)
Horsepower: 268.06 hp @ 6700 rpm
Torque: 249.95 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

2011 Mustang V-6 (3rd gear pull, 15% powertrain loss)
Claimed horsepower: 305 hp @ 6500 rpm
Claimed torque: 280 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm
Actual horsepower: 308 hp @ 6700 rpm
Actual torque: 287 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Taking the 4th gear numbers from my pulls and factoring in the 15% powertrain loss that Motor Trend used - 352 bhp and 325 btq. Gains over stock of around 44 horsepower and 38 torques. Impressive for minimal modifications.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvXYzUh8UYA

Very impressed with the v6 motor.

Cheers,
MG
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, you rarely see such high gains with minimal mods to an already 'optimized' (at the factory) engine... cool beans
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Fords little gem. Appears to be under optimized Lots of room for gains!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Retired the "Aku" helmet this year. New helmet is a SA10 HJC AR10II.

Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:12 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
what's up smike?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Awesome write up mike. You are the man. helmet looks dope and just gave me some ideas lol. Glad we could help out and you are always welcome when back in NC.

Justin
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
what's up smike?
Hey Gene! Just keeping it real. Counting down the days until the race season starts.

Originally Posted by Force-Fed Performance
Awesome write up mike. You are the man. helmet looks dope and just gave me some ideas lol. Glad we could help out and you are always welcome when back in NC.

Justin
Should be fun to stare at other drivers when on the track with that helmet on. Really wanted to hit the 1/4mi to get some times in the car with you guys.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Looking good! Those gains are pretty impressive.

Your car sounds just like my 4.0 Tacoma did.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

The sound does catch people. They see Mustang and thing bumbly raspy v8. Then hear my more European sounding 6.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW I dynod 360whp on Epic's MD and 413 on National Speeds Dynojet in the same week and same weather conditions. Nothing was changed.

OT- Did you see my BBY Evo there? Been sitting there for a few weeks and I want it back lol!!! Driving the Honda all the time SUCKS!!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

~14% difference. Yeah. I know the feeling. I had rental cars for a while until I decided to just drive my car.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: First AX

Winged Warrior is a charity event for Riley's Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. Its a multiple faceted event with drag runs, autocross, time slalom (in AX), and car show. Each event is worth points for the overall champion in the class. NASA AX sanctioned the event. So classing is a little different than SCCA. NASA does base class then points per mod. Hit a certain number of mod points and your car will bump up to the next class. Classes are Top Gun (unlimited), A, B, C, D, E.

Our cars start off as D classed cars. Good base class. Other cars in D are 98-02 F-Bodys. 4.6 GTs. Saturn Redline / Cobalt SS, MazdaSpeed 3s, etc. Either 250-300hp RWD, FWD, AWD. With the few mods that I have I was still in D.

Day started off hot. By 8am it was in the 80s and humid. T-Storms on the outskirts walking in. D was paired up with E class for the day. Our first event was drag racing. 4 runs. Lowest ET counts for event. We used ORP for the 1/4 section. They added the tack agent to the start line, but after that - it was an ice skating rink. I would have had better luck on an ice skating rink...

Shallow staged, 3000 rpm, walked clutch back - ignited tires. Once I pedaled back to traction, into 2nd gear. Repeat of 1st. Gingerly into 3rd. Walked sideways. Felt like a 600whp monster going no where fast.

Next pass was my best run. I went to the other lane. Lowered launch RPM to idle. And tried to feed in the clutch between shifts as best as I could but with speed. I clicked off a 2.26 60' and 14.17 ET at 100.1 mph. That is slow for the car. Everyone (Evo, Mustang, F-body...) ran .5s slow and 3-5 mph slow. Just one of those days.

Third and forth passes ended like the first. Smoking and sliding. I gave up after 2nd on both runs. 14.17 was good enough for the class.

Our next event was autocross. Back to RWD after years of AWD and FWD cars. Should be fun. And it was. As we staged for grid a massive thunderstorm came though. Sideways rain type of storm. Buckets of rain. Oh...joy...

Once the lightning stopped we all re-walked the course and fixed the cones.

3 to 4 inches of standing lakes in the track. No drainage. Upside for the Mustang was no low cold-air intake to suck up water like some of the other cars had. And no low front aero to rip off in the water. I have Conti DW (dry/wet) tires. Really put that W to the test.

First 2 runs had downed cones in the slalom from previous run. Both re-runs for me. Third run was clean and I got off a 75.93. Everyone else was in the 78-82 range. Saturn Redline and MazdaSpeed 3 eventually caught up to the 75.x range. Redline got in a 75.91. Then the MS3 did a 74.7. FWD pulls you though corners. In the wet, thats an advantage. I had to be on/off throttle and left foot brake for stability. If I was in FWD, I'd just keep my foot to the floor. Stepped up to my third run. Muffed the box coming into the slalom. Decided to go for fastest slalom time and not worry about the run as a whole. Went for broke on the slalom. Had an awesome tank slapper after that. 360* both feet in. Car still shut down. Stayed in track. Finished with an 88.x. Forth run was for all the marbles. I had to beat the MS3. Had a friends wife in the car. Not always the best time to take someone with me. Not the added weight. Just might scare them. I was going to go all out. Clean run of 74.6. Beat the MS3. All was well until it stopped raining and the MS3 was gridded just right for that. He managed a 74.4 on his last run. Besting me by .2s. Foiled.

Car show as a much of a car show you could have after puddle diving in the autocross for an hour.

End of the day?

3rd place in the drag racing.
3rd place in the slalom.
3rd place in the car show.
2nd place in the autocross.

Overall is still being calculated. I was the most consistant top 3 driver in the day. I hope to add one more trophy to my list of D Class Overall Champion.

Not a bad start in a new car

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=099rDNdLodo
Old May 24, 2011, 05:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Sweet Mike
Old May 24, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really need some Tein S-Tech springs on that mustang....

Old May 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Why I outta.

Researching my options on the suspension front. I'd like to get a dry event in to see what it does with lots more grip.

Quick Reply: SmikeEvo's 2011 Mustang v6 Performance Package - HD Pics