Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

SmikeEvo's 2011 Mustang v6 Performance Package - HD Pics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SmikeEvo's 2011 Mustang v6 Performance Package - HD Pics

About 4 months ago I started my hunt for my new daily driver. Requirements - great handling, good pick-up, good braking, clean, simple, fun daily driver. I have a 02 Focus SVT that I race. This car did not need to fill any racing shoes.

I wont run down my thoughts and feelings on all of these cars listed. I drove 370z, 350z, Camaro, G37, base v6 Mustang, California Special 5.0 Mustang, and a few others. Evo X and Ralliart where on the maybe list, but never driven (I've been in quiet a few of them...). At the end of my furry of car test drives I had nothing that I was head-over-heals for. Until I heard about the performance package Mustang from my good friend otter. Did some research. And on paper, was really impressed with the Frankenstein car that Ford SVO had cooked up. Told my local dealer that if they had one show up, call me. Sure enough a base version showed up a few weeks later. Drove the pants off of the car. Instant grin. I was sold. And for the last 2 months I have been pretty hush-hush on my new car.

And neat factoid -- Ford still allows custom ordering of cars. Just like the COPO cars of the 60's. Working with my dealer, we sat down and drew out my one-off package. My name is even on the window sheet and build ticket. Very cool.

She was delivered early this week to my dealer. Dressed up and parked center stage on their showroom floor. The Sales Manager and my Salesman both kept joking with me on how many people came in and asked how much to buy my car. Even with the sold sticker in the window. Even when I went to pick up my car -- 2 guys where standing over her oogling every bit.

I have been traveling heavily for work. Flew back this weekend special to take charge of my new car.

2011 Mustang 200A 67B "Performance Package"
-Performance White with Saddle/Black Leather

200A
-305 hp / 280 tq
-3.7l v6 with Ti-VCT Intake and Exhaust
-7000 redline
-6sp (shared with GT)
-No rear wing
-Shaker sound system
-Leather interior

67B "Performance Package"
-A 3.31 rear axle ratio
-Mustang GT coupe front and rear stabilizer bars
-Mustang GT front struts and rear shocks/springs
-Shelby GT500 rear lower control arm
-19-inch wheels
-Pirelli Extreme Summer 255/40/19 tires
-Mustang GT front and rear brake calipers with Performance Friction pads
-A strut tower brace for increased body rigidity
-Unique electronic stability control calibration with Sport mode for performance driving
-Unique badging (I ordered without badging or stripes).

Impressions
Absolutely awesome! I have put on about 175 miles at this point. Car goes like stink. And I still have half a tank of gas left. Nimble feeling for being a bigger car. Engine sound is great at the upper band. Brakes are fantastic. Lots of driver feedback. Positive feel. Steering is precise and direct. Very easy to drive the car. I am still getting used to the dimensions. It is much like being back in my 1976 Corvette. Driver position is low and there is a bit more hood in front of you. The Evo and my SVTF both have very different seating postions. SVTF is much higher up for view and the Evo was in-between where the Mustang is and SVTF is.

Few points that I'll be addressing. When I was building it was that I could not get the factory HIDs without the full Navigational Package. 113-118mph limiter. Not enough in-car exhaust note.

My fixes - 4300k HID kit sitting on my work bench. ECU Programmer (~20 hp gain, no rev limiter, adjust fuel curves, 2-step launch program, etc.), and axle-back exhaust system.

EBC graciously shipped me over a set of BlueStuff pads for testing. And I am working a suspension company to develop some new parts very soon.

The Goods
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF1418.jpg

20% tint all around
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF1410.jpg

The desktop wallpaper
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF0067.jpg

Interior
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF0028.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF0026.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF1407.jpg

Gratuitous Shots
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF0034.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...o/DSCF0062.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...DSCF0022-1.jpg

Last edited by Smike; Nov 16, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks great!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats
Old Nov 7, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very, very nice. You have good taste. Also props for being able to resit the 5.0 for something that creams it in terms of fuel economy and still has lots of power. Not sure I could control myself like that.

I know you haven't driven it that much but please do keep up posted on real-world fuel economy. I remember reading that Ford managed something ridiculous like 42 mpg in an endurance test on an oval.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys!

Yeah the 30 highway MPG seems very doable. I'm expecting a good 350 miles out of this tank.

Next weekend I'll be driving ~850 miles with her. Ill post up my MPG after.

Last edited by Smike; Nov 10, 2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: I stand corrected.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Nice pictures and car. Close to the Wildlife Refuge? I recognize that wind farm and the worn down rocky hills.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you.

Yep, pictures from the refuge. Had a run in with a long horn later that day too.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Seats look like. Congrats on the new set of wheels
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

My condoleance. :P

just kidding
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:16 PM

Nice ride...

I definitely want to pick up a 5.0 next summer
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Congratulations on the new car, I very much like how you put the car together aesthetically. The seat color/stitching looks great. I wouldn't expect such thing on a car from Detroit. I see that you don't have the Brembo package, is it only available with the V8? Have any direct injected Fords had any carbon buildup issues?

I've never been a hug fan of Mustangs, but I think Ford really hit a home run with this current model (especially the 5.0l). If the finances are there, I would definitely consider looking at a GT when the RS is paid off in the spring.

This is kind of off topic for your car, but do you know if 18" wheels fit over the Brembo equipped cars. I'm not a huge fan of the factory 19's, and I wouldn't want to shell out the extra cash for the bigger tires. I'd imagine that there are probably more tires available in 18" as well.

I'll be curious to hear what kind of fuel mileage you're able to achieve with that rather stout V6.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Nur!

Originally Posted by 06RS
Congratulations on the new car, I very much like how you put the car together aesthetically. The seat color/stitching looks great. I wouldn't expect such thing on a car from Detroit. I see that you don't have the Brembo package, is it only available with the V8?
Yeah, totally agree. Ford has really stepped up their game. Brembo brakes are a GT only option. But MT showed off how good the OE brakes are with the Performance Friction pads in there.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

Originally Posted by Motor Trend
...our test car recorded maximum lateral acceleration of 0.96 g and 60-to-0 braking in 104 feet. Not even a feathery Mazda MX-5 Miata (0.91, 120) can match those numbers.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz14mzbL1d8
Have any direct injected Fords had any carbon buildup issues? I've never been a hug fan of Mustangs, but I think Ford really hit a home run with this current model (especially the 5.0l). If the finances are there, I would definitely consider looking at a GT when the RS is paid off in the spring.
Not that I have heard or seen in my pre-car research. Same. In the family we had a 2004 GT. And I test drove a 03 Cobra and Rouch Stage 1 before I bought my Evo 8. None of them impressed me to the point of owning one. The new 5.0 has a the grunt for sure.

This is kind of off topic for your car, but do you know if 18" wheels fit over the Brembo equipped cars. I'm not a huge fan of the factory 19's, and I wouldn't want to shell out the extra cash for the bigger tires. I'd imagine that there are probably more tires available in 18" as well.

I'll be curious to hear what kind of fuel mileage you're able to achieve with that rather stout V6.
I believe only the 19s fit the Brembos, but not 100% on that. In that MT test, the GT they had shows the Brembo performance. 105 60-0. The v6 does have a lighter front end though.

I like the rims. But tire costs - no so much. 255/40/19 -- $150-250 ea. And you are correct. More sizes in 18in right now. However, as the trends change there will be more 19in options. Most new cars are going bigger these days.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
http://www.facebook.com/evolutionm.net?ref=ts
Look at the second comment! Who would say such a thing?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:55 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like mustangs, reminds me of this....

Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Hairdressers in a hurry - haha Top Gear esk there.

I was unaware that DB also was in the Mustang hunt. I ordered my car just after Labor day. Kept it a forum secret until now.

Quick Reply: SmikeEvo's 2011 Mustang v6 Performance Package - HD Pics