Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Ford Focus Race Car Concept

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Ford Focus Race Car Concept

General specifications
Country of origin United States
Numbers built N/A (Prototype)
Produced in 2010
Introduced at 2010 LA Auto Show

Engine
Configuration Ecoboost Straight 4
Location Front, transversely mounted
Displacement 2 liter / 122 cu in
Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC

Ford Motor Company is putting racing on the map at the 2010 Los Angeles International Auto Show with the debut of the Focus race car concept, demonstrating future potential for the all-new 2012 Ford Focus to compete in road and touring car championships with teams around the world.

The Focus race car concept is a dramatic example of Ford's global approach to product development and builds on the company's comprehensive approach to leveraging its global product platforms.

This race car concept, powered by the sophisticated 2.0-liter Ford EcoBoost I-4 engine, is the first to benefit from a collaborative effort between Ford and race teams around the world that have already built and raced successful Focus race cars. The Focus race car concept has been based around rules governing circuit racing in the United States and beyond.

"This teamwork has resulted in a global racing platform using a common Focus body and a safety cage built to FIA regulations - a competitive platform that can be tailored for regional competition, based on different rules," said Jost Capito, director of Global Performance Vehicles and Motorsport Business Development. "By leveraging our collective experience and Ford technology worldwide, this approach parallels our global dedication to the Focus production car and specifically its exciting performance derivative, the new Focus ST, to deliver a competitive race car that can be campaigned around the world."

Using the all-new Focus as its base, the Focus race car concept features AST performance coil-over adjustable dampers, Ford Racing upgraded sway bars with adjustable end links and front brakes with 320-millimeter two-piece rotors and race pads. The Anthracite 18-inch wheels and Hoosier race tires put the finishing touches on the exterior.

In addition to the FIA Super 2000 regulations roll cage, interior components include a Recaro racing seat, AIM MXL Pista data system and AIM SmartyCam. Ford Racing fire suppression system and Ford Racing six-point safety harness round out the modifications that bring the car from street-spec to race-ready.

"There has been tremendous interest from the racing world in the new Focus, and it's the perfect fit for a global touring car," said Capito. "Even more, by working with professional private race teams, we're ensuring Focus has the support it needs to compete and win around the world."

Professional private race teams are partnering with Ford to develop common technical specifications for the race car, which will conform to FIA Super 2000 regulations with potential to adopt to other regulations.

The teams are being brought together by Ford to harness their strengths and define roles for the development of the race car. Ford will also support the race teams by providing data, advanced engineering tools, state-of-the-art testing facilities and production parts, resulting in teams racing more competitive cars that are developed with greater efficiency.

"Ford's commitment to using motorsports to influence high-performance vehicles will be highly evident, as the development of the Focus touring car will also provide valuable input as we develop the upcoming Focus ST production car," said Capito. "It's very similar to how the Mustang team was able to apply learnings from the Ford Racing Boss 302R to the 2012 Mustang Boss 302."

The first race appearance for the Focus is targeted for the 2011 British Touring Car Championship. Globally, the race car has the potential to run in many national and regional championships, such as the China Touring Car Championship and 24-hour endurance races like the classic Nürburgring in Germany.

The new Focus is the result of a global product development program bringing together Ford's best engineers and technology from around the world. The new Focus will be sold in 122 markets worldwide and manufactured in Ford plants in Asia, Europe and North America.

All Focus models sold in North America will be powered by Ford's most advanced naturally aspirated engine ever: a new, 2.0-liter gasoline engine equipped with direct injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing - two important fuel-saving technologies. A six-speed PowerShift automatic transmission will be offered.

A Focus ST version also will be available, boasting exhilarating performance and an addictive sound. Ford's first global high-performance model, scheduled for 2012 launch and developed by Ford's global performance vehicles team, will deliver a 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 engine, lowered chassis, high-performance brakes and unique suspension tuning. The standard transmission for Focus ST is a six-speed manual, optimized with sporting ratios matched to the performance characteristics of the engine.

Ford's North American engineering team is targeting fuel economy of 40 mpg highway for the most efficient Focus model, equipped with an automatic transmission. The new Focus will also offer North American consumers a full suite of Ford technology - including Ford SYNC, MyFord Touch, in-car Wi-Fi capability, active park assist and rear view camera.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its ugly, and its very apperant they are trying to copy the evo x front
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Why Why Why couldn't they use the sedan or coupe??? Wagon race cars, not high on my list. But great idea by ford, I give them props. But maybe make a mustang like this? FWD not the best for me either.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
The hatch (like my SVTF) is more structurally stable than the other versions.

I really like this car. Don't like the graphics -- bit to TME VI with the colors.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

The ST is officially coming to the US. It looks amazing. This car is amazing. If there isn't an Evo XI out by the time i can buy a used black ST, or an STI i like, ...well, i'll be buying a used black ST lol.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:07 AM

doesnt look to bad but before i bought that id buy an evo or a gsx
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

if they don't offer awd this car is a little pointless
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford will only go AWD when they're serious and racing. They will then brag about some victory in Rally and use that in advertising for their FWD only model. When the customers ask for AWD, Ford says AWD didn't really improve the car, and the weight increase made it handle worse with no real benefit. Then for the next race, they'll go produce yet another AWD model because they want to win. Then they'll go back to customers selling FWD junk and proclaim they don't want AWD because it makes the car worse........ silly Ford with their double logic!

I say who cares if the car is not available to us. I watch rally to see my car in action and know full well that I can go to a showroom and purchase another one. I was rooting for the Evo's in Rally all year simply because I can purchase one... (and now I own one).

I remind people whenever we talk about cars, that Ford is seriously lacking in this area and even someone who works there with wonderful A plan pricing on Fords *still paid more and bought a Mitsubshi*.

I had a Cobra that I bought in 2007 and waited all this time to basically see Ford's new 2011 Focus/Fiesta lineup. I kept saying my next car will by the Ford Ecoboost AWD manual trans Focus or Fiesta. After they announced the release I was waiting for since 2009, I saw FWD only again and immediately threw the Cobra up for sale and started calling Mitsu dealers. It would have been a Ford, even though the Evo is still better I wanted a Ford. But I REFUSE to own FWD and will never buy a Ford small car again until they fix that.

Last edited by acidtonic; May 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:31 PM

As Rally car this look nice.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can appreciate what Ford can do with these cars for racing, but like acidtonic said, it's very disappointing that Ford won't really integrate that racing technology into the cars they sell. Sure, better suspension and brakes but the damn thing is still SLOW and FWD, sorry but I'll stick to my Mazda before I would go for one of these.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

They just posted again today in the company portal about some kid who won a 2wd rally event with a nearly unmodified Fiesta.

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages...0SnoDrift.aspx

"Van Way’s Fiesta was powered by the stock factory drivetrain featuring the 1.6L 16-valve Duratec® I4 engine and the same standard 5-speed manual transmission standard brakes found on Fiesta at any Ford dealer. The only technical modifications made to the class winning 2011 Ford Fiesta was the installation of the mandated RallyCar Series safety equipment and rally spec dampers. "

“The goal was to have a clean rally and stay in the middle of the road and let the Fiesta do all the work and not drive out of control, and it worked out great,” said Van Way who will celebrate his 19th birthday on Tuesday."

Wow, really?

Yeah mate, don't let all 120hp torque steer you off the road at once now.... Surely anymore horsepower and people would die. It would be like, too much horsepower for the street.

Articles like this make me literally sick to my stomach. These are the people Ford is trying to impress using words like "Rally"! General public individuals without any race inspiration at all happily driving a 120hp FWD econo-car thinking it's a race car.

I'm glad those people have all the input into this serious $35K vehicle if Ford is building one. People like that who would be suggesting all the wrong things in an Evo-like car. People who think a Fiesta has amazing handling and is a real Rally car.

No wonder Ford hasn't joined the real Rally game. They think they already have a winning Rally champion with their 16K 120hp economy car.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
No wonder Ford hasn't joined the real Rally game.
What is the "real rally game" to you? Since they are fairly competetive in WRC...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by c_reber
What is the "real rally game" to you? Since they are fairly competetive in WRC...
Warning, verbose passionate response with some dry humour. Don't take me too seriously. These are my thoughts, I don't want to start a big argument and derail the thread.

Basically who cares what they do in WRC, it's not sold to the public. The special one-off cars are awesome, but Ford never releases anything back to us consumers in the form of a factory AWD fast small car, or even a fast FWD small car. I'm talking about the upper spectrum of the class here, the $30-40K range. I understand they now have the 250hp Focus ST FWD, but it's still not out and it's rather tame and focused more on mild fun, but great mileage all at a lower price point. Wonderful, but this *can't* be the range topper here, we need another higher-priced model with less focus on a comfortable ride and cushy suspension, with a power/weight ratio suitable for a stock 13.0-13.4 1/4 mile.

Currently what we have is the 200bhp SVT focus which really isn't in this league price wise, and it's not fair to even compare the two (SVT Focus Vs Evo). The SVT Focus was great for that market price and segment. The ST is really targeting the same segment, with a higher 25K price tag and lots of comfort oriented features. Again I think the ST will work and be successful. But we can't stop here Ford....

Ford makes the Mustang, and conveniently it shares the segment with this $30-40K Focus we need. Of course this vehicle will be handicapped to avoid self competition with the Mustang, Ford will probably lie and contradict itself *again* to shut people up if they call Ford out on the crippleware. (See Porsche Cayman)

Remember when the Focus RS received the RevoKnuckle upgrade to prevent torque steer? It really helped, but didn't fix the issue, even at stock power levels... After modding and a few more ponies it's back to torque steer city and that ruins the fun for the hardcore. When Ford publicly had to answer questions one of which was the reason to not offer AWD, Ford said that AWD ruined the balance of the car, added unnecessary weight, and *didn't help the overall performance of the vehicle*. Next up in WRC, we see another custom AWD vehicle to race. This happened a few times and Ford basically contradicts it's own internal actions. So is AWD better for that car or not? It's kind of like saying "We're, smart enough to want AWD when we race, but you are not smart enough to have an AWD car, here take these training wheels we call Revoknuckle! It's race ready and completely fixes that torque steer problem those car guys keep talking about! Even though we actually ditch that and use AWD to race".

Ford completely misses the point and will advertise until they are blue in the mouth about how much they support Rally. When in reality, we get nothing but contradicted excuses and no vehicle to purchase. Our money that buys the millions of base models will go only into Factory backed special purpose vehicles. Now Subaru and Mitsubishi for example, give back to the community that just paid for millions of Lancers, with that special model they call the Evolution. After all we paid for it by buying base model lancers..... Ford is cheating here and keeping the race goodies for themselves because they happen to make a RWD V8 car in the same market category that they prefer to develop instead. I believe the two markets have quite differing interests and a $35K Focus next to a $35K Mustang will still capture the hearts of people that would otherwise *not* buy a Mustang anyway. In other words it would attract new sales rather than steal sales from the Mustang.

It's sad really. No one seems to get it. Ra Ra Go Ford! All I hear is that the Focus ST is a fast race car! Why would Ford make something better?

Last edited by acidtonic; Feb 15, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

I do agree with you. I was being a bit sarcastic too.

You know what's really funny, I'm looking at a ford focus ad on the bottom of this page LOL
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by c_reber
I do agree with you. I was being a bit sarcastic too.

You know what's really funny, I'm looking at a ford focus ad on the bottom of this page LOL
It says ford focus recalls at the bottom of mine.

IMO it's ugly

Quick Reply: Ford Focus Race Car Concept