Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Anyone switch from evo to 335i coupe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually went from an 2006 evo ix mr to a 2008 335xi 6 speed to 2010 evo x gsr.

The evo is definitely far more raw, more exciting to drive, cheaper to mod.
The BMW is far more luxurious, comfortable, quiet and refined.

Like others have said its all about what you want. the 335 is no slug, tons of low end power, very linear power delivery, super smooth. It also isnt such a cop magnet. Where as the evo is a bit more, violent, edgy etc.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other specific questions.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unvyit
ok i wasnt sure , on the oil coolers, but i was told that on thew 335's that you couldnt add an lsd.?
You can still add em, just a bit more work to it

Originally Posted by KevinD
the bare bones m3 is pretty bare bones. and still 55k. a fully loaded 335 wont crack 50, and have stuff like leather, comfort access, nav. if your buying the m3 for the performance, buy an evo and save 25k for mods. the m3 is a super sweet ride, but its the little things that make it nice. like smart key, nav, premium package etc... in my mind, you wont be spending less then 63k on a new m3. although depreciation is awful on them. you can pickup an 08 model loaded for low 40's already.
Sticker on my 335 was about $54k. Honestly these loaded don't cost much less than a base M3 but I'd choose an optioned over a base M3 any day
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nauticabri
I actually went from an 2006 evo ix mr to a 2008 335xi 6 speed to 2010 evo x gsr.

The evo is definitely far more raw, more exciting to drive, cheaper to mod.
The BMW is far more luxurious, comfortable, quiet and refined.

Like others have said its all about what you want. the 335 is no slug, tons of low end power, very linear power delivery, super smooth. It also isnt such a cop magnet. Where as the evo is a bit more, violent, edgy etc.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other specific questions.

Will do, thanks
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:58 PM

335i coupe <evo all day homie
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by batmanz51
335i coupe <evo all day homie
Very informative !!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno guys. For the past couple months I've been dreaming of that 4dr m3. If your coming from an Evo and you really want to get into a BMW, the only choice is the m3. Sure mod the 335 and it's just as fast or faster... But I promise if you buy the 335 every time you see an m3 drive past you your gonna get upset. Might as well do it right the first time.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
I dunno guys. For the past couple months I've been dreaming of that 4dr m3. If your coming from an Evo and you really want to get into a BMW, the only choice is the m3. Sure mod the 335 and it's just as fast or faster... But I promise if you buy the 335 every time you see an m3 drive past you your gonna get upset. Might as well do it right the first time.
I don't get upset when I see one

I drove both before purchasing the 335 and once you add a few engine & suspension mods to the 335 you essentially have an M3 in terms of performance but with better mod potential, less depreciation, less expensive maintenance and cheaper aftermarket selection.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

I mean I hear what your saying but it goes both ways. U have to mod the 335 to get to the m3 status in terms of performance. I dont think depreciation comes in to play as the m3 will hold it's value longer, not right off of the lot, but buying used it will hold better. Also, that v8 in the m3 is fantasic, no 335 will ever sound like that. And if we are all enthusiasts (which we are) chances are you will mod the m3 as well, making it that much better than a similarly modded 335
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
I mean I hear what your saying but it goes both ways. U have to mod the 335 to get to the m3 status in terms of performance. I dont think depreciation comes in to play as the m3 will hold it's value longer, not right off of the lot, but buying used it will hold better. Also, that v8 in the m3 is fantasic, no 335 will ever sound like that. And if we are all enthusiasts (which we are) chances are you will mod the m3 as well, making it that much better than a similarly modded 335
Add an intake and exhaust on an M3 and you've spent $2k for 10whp. $2k in a 335 and you're already upwards towards 80-90whp gain. Can't really compare the two

An exhaust note is the least of my worries when purchasing a car these days, I'm way too old for that lol.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by VRSF Tiago
Add an intake and exhaust on an M3 and you've spent $2k for 10whp. $2k in a 335 and you're already upwards towards 80-90whp gain. Can't really compare the two

An exhaust note is the least of my worries when purchasing a car these days, I'm way too old for that lol.
so true , i had an e46 m3 and had just about every bolt on on it spend ALOT of money for very little power..

great car tough non the less, not like the over weight v8 pig, thats basicly for old people going through their midlife crisis. it looks weak ,and is weak imo.

its lot all its appeal, the body is lame , nothing like the e 46 , no big fender flares, etc, wayyy to heavy , and underpowered compared to other cars it compares to.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

2k for 10 whp is horrible, but for 80 to 90 on a german car is great for the 335i
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Power is overrated with that kind of a car. That's why we all have evos. The pure feel of the m3 is what makes it an m3, and why a 335 is a 335. In terms of being on the track at least
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

test drove the 335i today, gotta say i loved it, very smooth and quick, now need to make a good decision
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

It depends on your priorities.. It could be a good or bad move because if you dont need a luxury sports coupe then keep the evo because the BMW's suck in the winter because of how they develop so much torque so early in the rpm band and it's rwd.. The evo is 4wd and it's very capable no matter how you look at it.

If you want luxury trade in for a evo 9 that has the SSL pack and retrofit seat heaters and line it with dynamat lol.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oneofakindtrini
It depends on your priorities.. It could be a good or bad move because if you dont need a luxury sports coupe then keep the evo because the BMW's suck in the winter because of how they develop so much torque so early in the rpm band and it's rwd.. The evo is 4wd and it's very capable no matter how you look at it.

If you want luxury trade in for a evo 9 that has the SSL pack and retrofit seat heaters and line it with dynamat lol.

dynamat? lol, that does nothing to make the car quieter, it simply helps with panel vibration!!! if FJF see's this he gonna give you a good lesson on these materials

Quick Reply: Anyone switch from evo to 335i coupe?