Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Anyone switch from evo to 335i coupe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone switch from evo to 335i coupe?

I'm thinking about trading my evo 9 MR for a 335i coupe, anyone here own a 335i coupe or made that switch that can give me a insight on how the car is and if it is fun to drive like the evo? Pros?cons? Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

I went from 335i to evo dont do it
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoforlife
I went from 335i to evo dont do it

?? details please?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JoNaH
I'm thinking about trading my evo 9 MR for a 335i coupe, anyone here own a 335i coupe or made that switch that can give me a insight on how the car is and if it is fun to drive like the evo? Pros?cons? Thanks
Have owned both - the 335i was a great car for me, lots of low end tq, fun to drive, comfy, and was easy to maintain (and now 08 and up you get COBB!) - for a daily driver I would pick the 335i over the EVO... for a "fun" car only I would choose the EVO. I drive an EVO X now - and prefer it over the IX but do miss the 4G63!

Mike Huml
Slowboy -
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SBR INC
Have owned both - the 335i was a great car for me, lots of low end tq, fun to drive, comfy, and was easy to maintain (and now 08 and up you get COBB!) - for a daily driver I would pick the 335i over the EVO... for a "fun" car only I would choose the EVO. I drive an EVO X now - and prefer it over the IX but do miss the 4G63!

Mike Huml
Slowboy -

thank you for a great detailed response, I'm going to test drive one today and see how I like it,
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

To me i dont really care about luxury id rather have an all out performing machine like the evo the 335i is a cool car but id rather have an evo
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't "switch", but we do own a 335i that my fiance drives. Personally, the 335i is a "nicer" DD and obviously classier, but I still wouldn't trade my evo for it. Living in a place like michigan, I enjoy my AWD. Despite having snow tires, the 335i still has gobs of issue with traction due to its torque at low RPM's. Also, it never feels as planted as an evo. Similarly, sedans are endlessly more practical than a coup. I personally feel cramped in the back of a 335i, and I'm only 5'10. If I had the option of a 335XI sedan, I could be talked into that but honestly, I would keep the evo unless you absolutely need a classy car for work or such. I'm sure you'll be happy either way with both though, they're both amazing machines in their own way.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mind had one and it was a luxurious ride with lots of power. He ended up selling it and buying an STI, because it wasn't as raw of a vehicle for him and he couldn't go mod happy with it (and needed something for 4 seasons). Also his maintenance/parts at the dealer were pricey.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
It is tough to compare the two vehicles given that they are very different. I own an evo(obviously) and my dad owns a 335xi coupe. I have driven both cars tons of times so I can give you a little insight on what to expect.

It really comes down to what you are looking for in the car. The bimmer is pretty quick but it is no where near the level of an evo when it comes to performance in acceleration braking and steering. I am not saying that the 335 isnt fun to drive because that would be false but it is not as raw as an evo.

At the same time the evo is no where near the level of luxury and comfort that the bimmer has to offer. I really like the idrive system and think it is easy to navigate. On top of that there are things such as heated seats, heated steering wheel, cruise control just to name a few which would be nice to have in the evo.

It is all about compromises so its up to you as to what is most important to you.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

recently we sold my evo 8 and my wifes outlander and got a 2010 tundra and a 07 335xi.

my evo was much faster, but very loud and very bouncy. the 335 is quiet, has heated seats that are more adjustable, i can hear the radio, and it gets far better gas mileage then the evo ever did. since i got it used, it was less expensive then a new X which was my other choice. and since it was for the wife (although, now i drive it a lot now), the more refined car was the choice we made.

the tundra was purchased to tow the evo race car and since the race car is ultra expensive to maintain, faster then any street car i would ever want to drive, and is still an evo, i didn't think i needed a street evo anymore (at least not for now).
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car, lots of potential, lots of aftermarket support, lots of $$$. I swear it's impossible to find a catback exhaust cheaper than $1K-- the AMS catback is $2K.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:45 AM

apples to oranges really man , two tottaly differnt cars. it all comes down to what your looking for.

fun evo deff.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for everyones input, I need to get the test drive done today and go from there, I love the evo but just get tired of all the rattles and stuff the evo has,
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
You could always go old school and build a Galant VR-4 or DSM and DD the 335. Best of both worlds and you have a backup when one breaks
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two completely different cars.

I switched a few months back and there are plenty of things I miss about the evo (responsive steering, stiff ride, fantastic handling) and there are plenty of things I don't miss (super loud, lots of rattles, cheap interior). My current 335i (modded) is faster than my old Evo was (also modded) but the overall acceleration feels a lot different.

In a perfect world I'd own the 335 as a DD and the evo would be my weekend toy. If there's anything you love about the evo there's a good chance you're not going to get them in a 335 with the exception of HP (assuming you want to stay below the 450whp range).

Quick Reply: Anyone switch from evo to 335i coupe?