Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

S2000 VS all...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S2000 VS all...

I know there are former s2000 owners on here. I was looking on there forum, in s2000
VS all..and it seems those cars can beat just about anything on the road. I'm not just talking about other hondas, but new 5.0 mustangs, cobras, sti, Evos, and even ferraris and porsches! A lot of these guys claim they are beating these cars with bolt on mods and of course superchargers and turbos. What do you guys think? Especially former owners. Here is the link.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/34-s...et-encounters/

N
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Street racing is for retards.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

I agree, I just find it hard to believe all those cars they claim to smash on.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
The S2000 is a capable car with good aftermarket support.

Stock vs stock, its clear the S2000 does not beat the world.

Once you open the door to modification it really becomes about how much you spend and what your goals are. Throwing a turbo on and making high horsepower on a honda is nothing new. Civics have been doing it for years.

It really just comes down to what platform you want to start from.

To me 4g63>F22C & awd>rwd = Evo>S2000.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The S2000 is on the same level as a Miata. In both the S2000 and Miata community there are some impressively modded cars.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by novem
I know there are former s2000 owners on here. I was looking on there forum, in s2000
VS all..and it seems those cars can beat just about anything on the road. I'm not just talking about other hondas, but new 5.0 mustangs, cobras, sti, Evos, and even ferraris and porsches! A lot of these guys claim they are beating these cars with bolt on mods and of course superchargers and turbos. What do you guys think? Especially former owners. Here is the link.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/34-s...et-encounters/

N
It's relatively easy to get an S2000 up to about 450-500 RWHP (just like it's relatively easy to get an Evo well north of 500), and at that power range most stock cars are beatable, especially since the S2000 has a 500-1000 lb advantage on most of the cars you mention. It comes to how much someone wants to spend.

Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
Street racing is for retards.
Very much this.

Originally Posted by nemsin

If you're strictly looking for straight line speed and ease of gaining power, I can't really argue. But the S2000 does a lot of things well that the Evo doesn't... including look good
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin

To me F22C>4g63 but EVO>S2000
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Dollar per dollar, you gotta spend more dollars on the S2 to have it beat an Evo/STi. Also, you have to take into consideration what form of competition 2 cars are going up against each other.. You can drop a turbo'd H22 into a $500 CRX & have it beat on Ferrari's or Lambo's, but the only thing that thing will be competetive in is the 1/4 mile. Any other aspect, there's just no competition. With the S2, the stock motor is very high strung. Honda did everything they could to squeeze every last horsepower out of that engine. For example, there are dyno tests that show some aftermarket exhausts make you LOSE horsepower over the stock exhaust! Forced induction is the only way to make any serious power, & that won't be cheap! After considerable thousands, you have an S2 that can accelerate great, but everything else is stock. More thousands to spend..
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
It's relatively easy to get an S2000 up to about 450-500 RWHP (just like it's relatively easy to get an Evo well north of 500)
I don't think that's true at all. The S2000 motor is pretty well maxed from the factory. It's not like an Evo where an ECU flash will net you 30+ whp for free. Try getting 30 rwhp out of an S2000 without adding a turbo/super.

There are upgrade paths to 400 rwhp, but I wouldn't call them "relatively easy", since it is one of the hardest engines to get more power out of (short of a supercharger/turbo). Modding an S2000 reliably to this level also isn't even close to what I'd call 'cheap' even with the aftermarket support it has.

A Miata will be better in almost all respects across the board - after market support, modability, reliability with mods, and cheap to mod.

S2000 does look better, I'll give you that. If I owned an S2000 I would just appreciate the motor in it's stock form. It's very much a Formula 1 inspired engine and honestly the S2000 is decently fast stock. Having no torque is just part of the fun
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Having come from an S2K myself, boost was all she was lacking. People are putting down some pretty serious numbers with just bolt on kits.

Kraftwerks SC FTW!!!

God, I miss my S2K bad.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
I don't think that's true at all. The S2000 motor is pretty well maxed from the factory. It's not like an Evo where an ECU flash will net you 30+ whp for free. Try getting 30 rwhp out of an S2000 without adding a turbo/super.

There are upgrade paths to 400 rwhp, but I wouldn't call them "relatively easy", since it is one of the hardest engines to get more power out of (short of a supercharger/turbo). Modding an S2000 reliably to this level also isn't even close to what I'd call 'cheap' even with the aftermarket support it has.

A Miata will be better in almost all respects across the board - after market support, modability, reliability with mods, and cheap to mod.

S2000 does look better, I'll give you that. If I owned an S2000 I would just appreciate the motor in it's stock form. It's very much a Formula 1 inspired engine and honestly the S2000 is decently fast stock. Having no torque is just part of the fun

This^^^.

1. It takes a lot more money to make 400whp with an S2000 than an Evo, or 5.0
2. After you make the power, you don't have traction
3. S2000 power curves, even under boost, are sooo weak compared to, let's say, an evo.

$ for $, an S2000's are actually pretty weak. And with enough money, you can make anything fast. Sure they can make high hp numbers with a stock block, but it's only because the tq is so damn low...... So yeah, imo, the people on those forums have no clue what they're talking about. Boost a new 5.0 and watch it destroy you.

Last edited by Carloverx; Jun 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The S2000 is on the same level as a Miata. In both the S2000 and Miata community there are some impressively modded cars.
The S2000 is significantly faster than a Miata. Also, the F series engine can handle retarded horsepower on a stock block. The miata requires a built bottom end over 250 ft/lb of torque.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:45 PM
El Jefe

Most of the turbo kits can get north of 400 whp. They're essentially bolt on + piggyback ECU, which I consider "relatively easy", since you're not removing the engine and altering its guts. It's just money spent and time lost. N/A, yeah, getting to even 250 WHP is brutally expensive and difficult (ITBs, aftermarket ECU, blah blah blah... and you still don't gain much).

There's no doubt that the 4G63 offers upgrade paths that the S2000 doesn't - something to be said for an iron block with a relatively short stroke from the factory. However, much like the Evo crowd, most of the street racing bragadouchebags in S2000 land are beating stock/lightly modified high end cars. How hard is it to beat a stock 911 turbo in a street race? How hard is it to beat a lightly modified 5.0 mustang or stock-ish Cobra in the 1/4? Honestly it's not hard if you throw money at the problem. These guys aren't comparing $ spent to $ spent. It's just dick waving.

And at the end of the day... the guys with the big dicks don't brag.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

S2000 < All

Just jokes

I have never driven one myself, but they look to be a pretty enjoyable car to drive. The high-revving nature of the engine would be fun, but the lack of torque, RWD, tiny cabin, and premium price would not.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:56 PM
El Jefe

In 10 years of driving the S2000, I've never thought "I wish it had AWD".

Quick Reply: S2000 VS all...