Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

modded evo ix vs 08 m3

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've driven the E92 and too be honest it's not a very fast car. It's comfortable and looks pretty ok I guess but for some reason I never fell in love with it. The E60 M5 on the other hand is a different story and a better car. I would still take an M3 over an EVO but I think that unless you supercharge the M3 modded EVOS will kill it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

both are fast and beautiful cars, really depends on what your feeling more. bmw is more luxury refined, while the evo is basic, yet has alotta power plus 2 extra doors.

if your looking for something classy yet fast and don't plan on modding much jump on the M3, if you dont care if its classy or not, and plan on doing alotta racing, modding etc... i would suggest the evo.

whatever it is you do good luck, please keep us informed.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:02 AM

I was in the same boat before buying my evolution. After driving both, calculating maintenance cost and bang for the Buck, I went for the evo. The evolution community had a major impact as well, all the how to write ups
are great. With the money saved on monthly payments I bought an 08 Acura TL which voids the gap of luxury the evolution lacks. The m3 will definitely leave you wanting more in sense of driving/racing feeling. Good luck with your decision.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha X
Only car IMO worth getting over an Evo is a GT-R. You can get a used GT-R for 60k with low miles.

No BS. I share this man's opinion.

I like the idea of me and a M3 but I just think the car conforms too much and it looks too much like ...well, a BMW. I know I know but it makes the anarchist in me all excited. Where's my DRI cd collection lol(?)

The M3 is like safe looking. And it feels couchy to me.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shattered-4g63
I've driven the E92 and too be honest it's not a very fast car. It's comfortable and looks pretty ok I guess but for some reason I never fell in love with it. The E60 M5 on the other hand is a different story and a better car. I would still take an M3 over an EVO but I think that unless you supercharge the M3 modded EVOS will kill it.
I agree with this post about the E60 M5 being a better car than the E92 M3. I have driven both, and the feel of the M5, with its high revving v10 is incredible. I would at least check one out before making your decision.

Last edited by RoMeIX; Apr 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:53 PM

Edit: just saw that the original post referenced a IX and not a X, so my commentary here isn't exactly relevant except for the last bit.

I drive both on a daily basis, and it comes down to what you want. When we go on road trips, we take the M3. When I'm driving around town, I take the Evo.

The M3 is much nicer to be in, and in my opinion, makes better sounds. (That last statement is 100% subjective, and I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree with me.) The Evo is faster after a few bolt-ons and a tune, and the Evo you listed is certainly much faster.

They are fun in different ways. The Evo will let you do incredibly stupid things around a corner and make you look like a genius. It can put power down out of a corner way better than the M3 can, but at the same time, it's not you that's doing it, it's the car. The M3 is an incredibly predictable car that rewards good driving, but doesn't make its limits easily accessible to you the way the Evo does.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what's more fun. I still can't decide what I like better: the fearlessness I get with the Evo, or the challenge that comes with properly driving the M3.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the Evo just because it's someone else's project, and if the M3 isn't covered under warranty, I wouldn't buy it either. Really if I was cross-shopping both for an only car, I'd definitely pick the M3.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Revo15
Seriously..you are really asking for it!!! EVO FTW!!the M3 will bore the crap out of you and youll feel like your 60 yrs old!
over on the m3 forums:

Seriously..you are really asking for it!!! M3 FTW!!the Evo will bore the crap out of you with its awd and youll feel like your a 16 yr old pimple face!

and before any of you get your panties in a bunch, yes, I've heard people say Evo's are boring cause they're AWD, but then again saying an M3 is boring is just as ridiculous...
Old May 4, 2012, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stck_trbo_mnstr
basically what are the opinions on these 2 beauties.
2006 ww evo IX modded:
jdm mr evo 8 headlights
jdm side markers
jdm tails
jdm rear bumper
se lip
fender mod kit
18X10 ccw lms
tein springs
1200 cc injectors
running on e85
spoolin up cop
mishimoto radiator and hoses
intake
map o2 dump
ets intercooler and piping
tial bov
fp black
buschur ported stock manifold
full bown double pumper
gsc s2 cams
hks ti carbon ti exhaust
exedy twin disk
triple guage pod
aem boost guage
aem oil pressure gauge
aem air fuel gauge
pioneer z3.
jdm double din bezel
cyanide air relocation
back up camera

vs

2008 stock m3

which would you pick. paint on evo is 9/10 interior 9/10 car runs like new to be honest.
M3 paint 9/10 interior 10/10. Evo has 62000 miles on body and about 20k on motor. m3 has 40k miles.

Well, after reading this again with no spin from the top...... I think you should get the M3. It is worth more, like almost 10 grand more on the average. Plus it's a newer model car being 2 years the EVO IX's junior. The most convincing reason should be obvious. I bet your first choice was the EVO and then you ran across this little German Beauty. Now you are doubting getting the EVO. If you are doubting the EVO after driving it around then you don't want one. I like needed my EVO. I was deciding on what year 2008 or 2006. I liked the styling and powerplant of the 2006.

Long story short, go M3. It's what you truely want.