Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
how. how did i miss all of this? LOL. thanks for the morning entertainment, guys.

the new STi still seems like a great car, compared to the older ones. but it's still in a different class (i.e. different purpose) than the Evo VIII & IX, but close to the X. that's not necessarily a bad thing. it looks to be a really, really good DD, if you ask me.
This exactly! My buddy has a '15 STI and it's nicer than my 05 STI was for sure. I think they are still using the exact same ****ty seats they did in 05 though, why won't SOA just bring Recaros to the USDM STI's?

Why are people even arguing about spark plug changes being harder on an STI? They are, it's a fact and I personally hated doing them with a passion. Just like it's a fact that Serpentine belt replacements are harder on an Evo but they are not nearly as rage inducing.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Thank you, I'm well aware what you wrote. What I was getting at is why you care about a power dip at 2000 rpm in a car that is designed to be driven above 3000 rpm. I have not experienced this power dip in my 2006 STI or my 2007 WRX.

Perhaps you need to exercise some comprehensive reading since you apparently missed the part where I said I owned a Subaru.
Neither a 2006 STI or a 2007 WRX are a "GR STI", so your argument is irrelevant. Once again you either have not comprehensively read my post, or you are just being a troll. I understand at this point you are just going to keep arguing even though I have already explained the reason for my question in plenty of detail, so I am done feeding the troll. Have a nice day.

To the OP, sorry for getting off topic...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by blooo
Neither a 2006 STI or a 2007 WRX are a "GR STI", so your argument is irrelevant. Once again you either have not comprehensively read my post, or you are just being a troll. I understand at this point you are just going to keep arguing even though I have already explained the reason for my question in plenty of detail, so I am done feeding the troll. Have a nice day.

To the OP, sorry for getting off topic...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

wait, not one pic of the STI....fail.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 06:46 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Get to drive my friend's 2015 STI in a couple hours. Excited!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:39 PM

Great little review.

I wonder if they'll release a facelifted version in the near future with an updated engine, or if they're just committed to the EJ25 for the duration of this generation.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'll be interested to hear once they updated the engine.

i talked to a buddy who owns a shop that works on stis etc. he said the chassis is very very similar to the gr sedan sti, but with a lot more reinforcements to make it stiffer. not sure how true that is or not.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Just noticed this thread. I have a 15 as well, and I had a IX MR. I loved the IX, and I kick myself often for selling it (I didn't have room, and was building a Spec E30). The Sti is more tail-happy (if you set it one click off locked) but the IX had a far superior motor. Sti has too much sound deadening, steering doesn't have as much feel, it feels heavier. I also was one of those seemingly rare Evo owners who never had any issues with the car, despite running it on the track a lot. Just regular maintenance. The Sti has been in the shop I think 8 times, for 3 different issues that took multiple trips each. Leaky diff, loose trunk banging and chipping, backup screen all wavy. I also found 1/4 of a hamburger patty under the e-brake lever one time when I picked it up but that is probably a one-off issue

I wish I'd kept the IX. I like the Sti a lot, but it is too mature. The IX was more playful. I liked that it felt like it was going to blow apart at any moment, kind of like my Spec car. By mature I mean everything feels a little softer, a little slower, a little muted. Less raw. As a DD, Sti hands down. As a toy, the IX.

Also if ambients hit 95ish and drive over 75ish mph the car goes to ****, knocks like crazy (logger showed 8s, 2 is normally where people start to worry from what I've ready, and it was loud). On CA 91 pisstane, but I suspect that isn't the only issue. The guy who ran the 15 at the isle of Mann said they had to pull boost significantly at high speeds because the design of the scoop sucks and stalls at high speed...combine that with high temps and you get a butter-pistoned motor knocking like it is trying to intrude on Little Richard.

Oh and the torque vectoring is garbage, I always use all-off mode to disable it. It is inconsistent and lurchy.
Old May 7, 2015, 04:22 AM

I used to have some Subarus. Last one was a 99 Legacy GT. Camshaft decided to destroy itself while my wife was driving it. After 6 or 7 of them over a few years, they just had a lot of problems. All were used, I never bought new, but yah, I'm done with Subaru. enjoy your car, sir, but I don't think i'll ever get one.
Old May 7, 2015, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Good 1 month bump.
Old May 7, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump
Old Jun 18, 2015, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...l-quality.html

interesting , but usually i dont believe magazines. Anyway, something to read a mean time... crickets...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jun 18, 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Cool, that's relevant in a personal review thread.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:33 PM

I've had a '15 STI for a few months now and in terms of handling, fit and finish it is much better than my previous 3 Subies. I still have a '10 STI hatch so I sometimes get back-to-back comparisons and the new car is so much nicer. The OEM handling is much improved.

Obviously engine performance is pretty similar except the '15 has a slightly larger turbo so it does make slightly more power up top. My only disappointment is that it still uses the EJ25 and the perceived problems that go with it. This is my 4th EJ25 and I didn't have any issues with the first 3 but obviously there are people out there who have had problems for a vaiety of reasons.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read a magazine that the next gen sti is going to look like the BRZ and not the base model impreza. Maybe it means a new engine ect.

Quick Reply: 2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos