Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

An "Airbnb / Uber" for Car Enthusiasts - Rad!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An "Airbnb / Uber" for Car Enthusiasts - Rad!

Whats happening fellow Brethren!

A good friend of mine shared a super interesting discovery with me the other night. He knows a guy that is working on developing a community marketplace for enthusiasts to seek help with mechanically related needs by connecting you with local enthusiasts that have the credentials (tools, expertise, space, resources...etc) to help you get the job done, at a far less cost than going to a shop.

I think this idea has tons of potential, as I know I am not always the most confident to tackle some jobs, and definitely cant stand going to a shop.

It seems the boom of the uberesque / Airbnb companies of the world are bringing awesome ideas throughout different industries..

Wanted to see what you all thought!

Last edited by Nsomniac; Mar 2, 2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I already make decent side money "mekaniking" with FB and Instagram, I certainly don't need an app to get business. Especially since when I see something that has the premise of "saving money" when it comes to fixing one's car, I just see a bunch of cheap asses being on there that don't have the money to actually fix their car. And then you have the app company taking money off the top of my hourly rate, no thanks..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I already make decent side money "mekaniking" with FB and Instagram, I certainly don't need an app to get business. Especially since when I see something that has the premise of "saving money" when it comes to fixing one's car, I just see a bunch of cheap asses being on there that don't have the money to actually fix their car. And then you have the app company taking money off the top of my hourly rate, no thanks..
Surely an interesting perspective. I think the "cheap people" scenario could actually be derived in a more intensified form through the channels you obtain side work through. Rather you could use a platform that integrates a double-blind rating system, secure payment transactions, vetted (background checked, verified individuals), and ease of finding exactly what you're looking for.

Either way.. If it works for you, that's all that matters!

Last edited by Black&Boostin; Feb 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

The rating system and vetting process more benefits the client than the mechanic. As far as secure payment, cash or venmo is where its at.

For the cheap people, I've had a few go elsewhere for work because I was "too expensive". Then they end up bring the car to me to spend twice as much to fix what the "less expensive" shop ****ed up. Evo's aren't super special cars, but they do require an above average knowledge or skill level to work on properly.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
lost what little interest I had cause I'm forced to sign up before I can see anything.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I either fix my own car or take it to STM
Old Mar 2, 2017, 06:57 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I deleted the link because this post floats dangerously close to advertising - especially if what Warmmilk said is true about signing up to view it. I have no issue with the group discussing the idea, just no links or "pm me for more info".

That said, I don't see value in it. There's a ton of shops available with ratings online. Support local shops that do good work. If that's too expensive, use the forum and youtube to do your own work. There's also a ton of facebook groups out there to support local gear heads.

This just reeks of someone who didn't do anything that is trying to get a cut.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
That said, I don't see value in it. There's a ton of shops available with ratings online. Support local shops that do good work. If that's too expensive, use the forum and youtube to do your own work. There's also a ton of facebook groups out there to support local gear heads.

This just reeks of someone who didn't do anything that is trying to get a cut.
This. Especially the bolded part. At least with Uber and Airbnb, you are being provided a platform that without it, you could not provide the Uber or Airbnb service. If a "mekanik" is worth his salt, word of mouth spread quickly, and business comes fairly easily. I've only been really do side work for the last 10 months, and I have already gotten to the point of turning things down, or losing jobs (meh), because I seem to be consistently scheduled 3-4 weeks out for the work load I want to take on.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that's an awesome idea. I have a few friends that will jump on the idea since they have a fully build garage in their homes and love to help out other car enthusiasts.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like a lot of motorsports ventures, this is super tough to turn this into a profitable business model. It's been tried many times before. That said, kudos if they can make it work.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Networking people with skills to the people that need them can only be a good thing. That said, why not use an established site, like Angie's List or LinkedIn? You are going to have a hard time getting any traction with a new site with no reputation or history, especially if its not free.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I would agree with most others, saying that this most likely will lead to very cheap people trying to get very cheap work done. I think most people also that are mechanically inclined can very easily get people lined up that want there cars fixed. I don't think there is any shortage there.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, this seems like it would be a little hard to get traction, seems a little too obscure a niche to gain popularity among "common people"
Old May 4, 2017, 09:12 AM

Seems like a good idea. I thought about something related to this but lack the means to make it happen.
Old May 9, 2017, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
I currently connect myself to local great mechanics by tipping them generously, so they teach me all sorts of stuff. However, this sounds like a really cool and effective idea.