Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Get a Gen III Viper or a C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Get a Gen III Viper or a C6 Z06?

I'm thinking of converting the Evo back to a more daily friendly winter car and getting a Viper or Vette. The 2003-2006 Vipers and 2006-2009 Z06's have gotten pretty affordable.

The Z06 is faster in most respects, but something makes me want the Viper a little more. I would probably also be autocrossing it in AS/SSR where C5-C6 Z's tend to dominate but Viper wouldn't be bad.

They are both a little over 500hp stock but the Z is a little lighter. Viper counterintuitively has friendlier more predictable handling and better steering. Just curious which one you guys would pick given the choice.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 Viper Coupe
Old Mar 8, 2017, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
C6 Z06 for sure. Much better handler.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
If this was for anything other than Auto-x, I would say Viper all day. I've always loved them. But if you want to compete well, you better stick with a C5/C6Z. I had a SSP C5Z that was very competitive against C6Z's, small advantage on the tighter courses, small disadvantage on HP courses.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I vote C6 Z06. I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one,
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
if you want crazy attention everytime you drive it, get the Viper

if you want the more enjoyable drivers car, get the Z06
Old Mar 17, 2017, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a C6 Z06 new, I did my review here back in 08 when I purchased the car new. With less than 1000 miles I already had tune, LTH and air filter, then I took it to a shop and did Cams, heads and porting of the intake.

The car is a dangerous ride. The 335mm rear tires don't mean $hit, the car is scary to drive. It goes sides wise at the touch of the gas pedal.

I wouldn't never go back to the C6 Z06. I crashed the car on my neighboors mail box just exiting the neighboohood, almost crashed several times at the dragstrip and on the road. You always have to have the traction control on or have a 100 feet 5 lane otherwise it will spin.

By far one of the worst RWD cars I ever driven. I changed for a C63 AMG which drove phenomenal, much more composed, much more planted.

Good luck with your Viper or Z06, good looking cars, very fast indeed but just be careful.

If you look under my username I opened a topic back in 08, I think I named it 200mph supercar or something like that.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta go with the gen III Viper with a blue paint job and the 2 white racing stripes. Just reminds me of my grandfathers Viper, when I was a kid.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I am a big Viper fan, and I don't think they get the credit that they deserve. A lot of people with track time in Vipers say they drive like a big Miata or S2000, especially the Gen III +. IMO you either get Vipers or you don't...if I ever sell my Evo I will probably pick one up.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I had a C6 Z06 new, I did my review here back in 08 when I purchased the car new. With less than 1000 miles I already had tune, LTH and air filter, then I took it to a shop and did Cams, heads and porting of the intake.

The car is a dangerous ride. The 335mm rear tires don't mean $hit, the car is scary to drive. It goes sides wise at the touch of the gas pedal.

I wouldn't never go back to the C6 Z06. I crashed the car on my neighboors mail box just exiting the neighboohood, almost crashed several times at the dragstrip and on the road. You always have to have the traction control on or have a 100 feet 5 lane otherwise it will spin.

By far one of the worst RWD cars I ever driven. I changed for a C63 AMG which drove phenomenal, much more composed, much more planted.

Good luck with your Viper or Z06, good looking cars, very fast indeed but just be careful.

If you look under my username I opened a topic back in 08, I think I named it 200mph supercar or something like that.
I'm sorry, but this sounds like more of a driver issue than a car issue. not to mention that you added over 100hp with your mods... did you do any mods to improve traction or stability? and about the 335 tires, IIRC, those are goodyear eagles in factory trim? not exactly a great tire. these days you can get much better. basically my take away is you did all the e-peen mods but didn't like the car when you couldn't handle the power

^me being an honest a$$hole post for the day. do the mods right and it won't be nearly as big of an issue. better yet, keep it stock + sticky tires till you get used to the power, then upgrade from there if its not enough for you
Old Mar 20, 2017, 02:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah, my friends vette with NT05 (road tires, not the drag radials) is very driveable. Sounds like someone using too much right foot.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 09:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
I'm sorry, but this sounds like more of a driver issue than a car issue. not to mention that you added over 100hp with your mods... did you do any mods to improve traction or stability? and about the 335 tires, IIRC, those are goodyear eagles in factory trim? not exactly a great tire. these days you can get much better. basically my take away is you did all the e-peen mods but didn't like the car when you couldn't handle the power

^me being an honest a$$hole post for the day. do the mods right and it won't be nearly as big of an issue. better yet, keep it stock + sticky tires till you get used to the power, then upgrade from there if its not enough for you
I'm in complete agreement. The OP wants something to autocross, and a C63 AMG will not fit the bill. Those goodyear eagle tires were the worst traction I've ever had on a car, and I still managed to be in complete control of my 450+ whp C5Z at all times. Throttle control is your friend.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk

I guess I should point out that stock tires on a C6Z are 325's, not 335's. So WRXtoEVO was either mistaken, or the tires were not stock.

To just play devils advocate a bit, most of the magazine comparison reviews do echo his other comment. The Z while being extremely fast, is squirrelly and didn't inspire confidence. I think one quote was, "The Vettes throttle is the trigger of a gun pointed at your head." Most preferred the Vipers handling, but knocked it for livability.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DeweyD
I guess I should point out that stock tires on a C6Z are 325's, not 335's. So WRXtoEVO was either mistaken, or the tires were not stock.

To just play devils advocate a bit, most of the magazine comparison reviews do echo his other comment. The Z while being extremely fast, is squirrelly and didn't inspire confidence. I think one quote was, "The Vettes throttle is the trigger of a gun pointed at your head." Most preferred the Vipers handling, but knocked it for livability.
well of course its not a kitten to drive, its a 500hp rwd car... my point was that instead of doing mods to help the chassis handle the power better, he left the chassis as is and gave it even more power. honestly I think a set of modern grippy tires (EP class or better, MP isn't sticky enough in my opinion) would go a long way in taming it. proper alignment also goes a long way.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I would get a viper as well.

Quick Reply: Get a Gen III Viper or a C6 Z06?