Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

CTR, Golf R, STI, EVO - Can I pick your Brain?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 04:18 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
If not tracking, Golf R, hands down. None of the other cars will be as "nice" and friendly to drive around in.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 05:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
All are great choices except the Golf (cheaply built). You can stop by the local car club events of these cars, before you make an informed purchase decision. For enthusiasts, it is important that you like the people in your car's club.
LMAO. Literally built the best of them all.
The following 3 users liked this post by Noize:
alpinaturbo (Jan 28, 2019), evoforstevo (Feb 1, 2019), GTS.Puerto Rico (Jan 21, 2019)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes. Lol if u want something real comfy, all the updated tech, fit and finish the R delivers in spades. Trust me I test drove the WRX/sti/s3/rs3 (my first choice but that space in the back was limited compared to the R).

But like I said, by the end of the week I'm begging to get back on the evo. I did hear stage 1/2 changes the car. But brand new parts is crazy compared to Evo platform.

Originally Posted by GTS.Puerto Rico
2019?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 05:56 PM
EvoM Administrator

Owned all three. Not an STI because EJ257 maladies.

​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
GTS.Puerto Rico (Jan 21, 2019)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@Noize Thank you for chiming in. Especially about the build quality, not that I know any better, but that statement from Light contradicted a lot from most, threw me off. Anyhow, following you on the CivicX forums, beautiful ride.
Noize (Jan 21, 2019)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Man, you're welcome. I'll post a little more for you about the cars in case it's helpful.

STI: Did not consider because of prior WRX ownership and working on friends STIs. Neat cars, but single turbo boxer not for me. EJ257 needs to be put out to pasture.
Focus RS: Did not consider due to head gasket failures and other things I won't bother to go in to since it wasn't on your original list.

Evo X:
+Best canvas for modifications by a mile.
+High rev capacity is great groundwork for big turbo in the future.
+True performance AWD system with real yaw control.
+Port injection means more fueling options.
+/-Infotainment obviously dated, but very easy to address in an older car.
-Gearing is not the best.
-Trunk is small, back seat doesn't have a pass through if you need to carry things.
-Used performance cars scare me. Unless you have a comprehensive history on it, I'd tend to shy away. Look for a stock one.

Golf R:
+Build quality, rocking audio, best infotainment package, and safety features that destroy the competition.
+Best visibility.
+Hatchback practicality.
+Fast with a DSG. Mid-high elevens with minimal mods.
+No MAF
-Worst handling of the trio.
-Not good with a manual transmission, as it's much slower than the DSG, and the clutch is barely adequate for stock power levels.

Civic Type R:
+Lightest, best handling, most nimble.
+Almost no torque steer, hides its driveline configuration better than any FWD car I've ever driven.
+Fastest stock around a racetrack.
+Hatchback practicality.
+Very well sorted out of the box.
-Aftermarket still emerging.
-FWD with big torque mods seems counter productive. If you can be happy with 300-350 HP and a little less torque, it's a great choice.

At the end of the day, what do **you want? If you want a comfortable quality car that will fly under the radar of police and punk alike, is very quick with light mods, and handling isn't a big priority, the Golf R is really the only choice.

If you want an all-out modifiable racecar that can do it all, the Evo is the only way to go.

If you want a handling dream with hatchback practicality, pick the Type R.

Right now, I'm really having a blast with the Type R. Someone made a comment about it that although its not as fast as some other cars on the market, it's one that you're most likely to lose your license with even stock. The turn-in and handling potential of this car is pretty inspiring. I thought I was getting older and more afraid when I had the Golf R. It only took a few minutes behind the wheel of the Civic to know the problem was that my former dancing partner had two left feet.
GTS.Puerto Rico (Jan 21, 2019)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

@Noize Thanks again. An interesting "trend" I see with all 3 is that they all need some type capital $$$ to make them suitable to my needs/wants. Example: If I get a CTR, I will need to purchase some winter tires/rims to make it work for me, or buy a cheap beater to DD during winter (doable), if I get the Golf R, looks like an upgraded tranny will be needed, (Want a Manual in my life), if I get a used Evo X I will obviously need to spend some $$$ to get it up to date (bleed the brake lines, change tranny oil, motor oil), basically anything/everything to get it refreshed. So they all need some $$$ upfront for the most part. I could probably live with the stock Golf R tranny for a while, but not too long. (Going to have to research this new insight)
Noize (Jan 22, 2019)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Well, the Honda I leased my Accord with called me over to see their latest CTR. It is a 2019 Crystal Black Pearl. I really want a Sonic Gray CTR if that is what I end up with but the black looks soooo sweet. More importantly I took the wife. Again, she loves the segment but she had not seen a CTR up close and her feedback in terms of looks and how comfortable she is in the passenger seat are very important. To my surprise she really liked everything. Now, the black hides a lot of the nuisances, like the fake vests and stuff, so she is not sure how she would like a Sonic Gray.

Anyhow, long story short, the dealer was very anxious for me to take it. The do have a $5K ADM on it, he said we can negotiate. Since my lease has low miles on it, he said I have equity and that would help me lower the car price. (new to this process (Lease) so not sure how well that works) I told him about the tires not being this season compliant and he said they would work with me on that as well. Another thing he told me was that we cannot pre-order a CTR, they only offer what is in inventory, looking to get about 1 car every quarter or so he said. (They do get another one in March though)

From my side, the car is sweet. Probably one of the most bolstered seats I have sat in, like putting on a glove, wife felt the same way, though she said it reminded her of a GTR so she likes it even more, lol. (Again, the black looks so menacing) The back seats are ok, I drive really close to the steering wheel so ppl in back do have good space. This will be my daily, although I plan to get a beater for next years winter. Will I be ok to drive lets say a couple hundred miles, like for vacations and feel good? The fun will make it lovely but what about comfort? And, yes, I know this is a purpose built track car, not a grand tourer, but still.

Thanks in advance for any response.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Well, the Honda I leased my Accord with called me over to see their latest CTR. It is a 2019 Crystal Black Pearl. I really want a Sonic Gray CTR if that is what I end up with but the black looks soooo sweet. More importantly I took the wife. Again, she loves the segment but she had not seen a CTR up close and her feedback in terms of looks and how comfortable she is in the passenger seat are very important. To my surprise she really liked everything. Now, the black hides a lot of the nuisances, like the fake vests and stuff, so she is not sure how she would like a Sonic Gray.

Anyhow, long story short, the dealer was very anxious for me to take it. The do have a $5K ADM on it, he said we can negotiate. Since my lease has low miles on it, he said I have equity and that would help me lower the car price. (new to this process (Lease) so not sure how well that works) I told him about the tires not being this season compliant and he said they would work with me on that as well. Another thing he told me was that we cannot pre-order a CTR, they only offer what is in inventory, looking to get about 1 car every quarter or so he said. (They do get another one in March though)

From my side, the car is sweet. Probably one of the most bolstered seats I have sat in, like putting on a glove, wife felt the same way, though she said it reminded her of a GTR so she likes it even more, lol. (Again, the black looks so menacing) The back seats are ok, I drive really close to the steering wheel so ppl in back do have good space. This will be my daily, although I plan to get a beater for next years winter. Will I be ok to drive lets say a couple hundred miles, like for vacations and feel good? The fun will make it lovely but what about comfort? And, yes, I know this is a purpose built track car, not a grand tourer, but still.

Hey that’s great that you’re wife likes the car, if that’s the car you like go for it! I will always be biased towards the evo , but the CTR sounds like a solid car. Good luck!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Make them work on that ADM and watch for return lease tricks. Try to work out winter tires on your own- will cost way less. I like my FK8 a lot and would drive it anywhere. Black > Sonic to me.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:57 AM
kaj

Nice choice! I got my woman to agree on a CW one, as soon as we get back.to.work. I can't wait.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I'd go a low miledge 2009 5 speed evo x and lighten it, get some good mods into it and go have some fun

other then that id go a 2nd H Focus RS, get the gasket recall done, then mod it for tracking, i like the extra head room of the 2.3 for future modding

i also like the merc hatch, dont think you guys have them in the states
Old Jan 29, 2019, 08:24 AM
kaj

I don't think OP is looking for a project/race car.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
no track use , and no too much aftermarket , I would go with the Golf R.
Even with occasional track use, and mods etc, I would go with the X.
hands down.

Just to impress guys, looking like transformers, and want to be look like a lost Japanise hoonigan , that is the Type R.

Talk about old... the EJ25 appeared first time in 1995, the STI i think around 2004.. lol And even today still not a good engine. That is freaking 15 years later. So the STI to me the last of this comparison.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 1, 2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/01/2018-honda-civic-type-r-review-its-still-all-that/

Quick Reply: CTR, Golf R, STI, EVO - Can I pick your Brain?