Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

CTR, Golf R, STI, EVO - Can I pick your Brain?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 02:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
That CTR is legit.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
From what I have learned about performance cars.

1. Under no circumstances will I ever want a front wheel drive performance car. Terrible memories of the past owning Sentra, SRT-4 etc.. search for traction and wheel hop problems etc... There were things that can be done to gain more traction and reduce wheel hop but the negatives side effects of those mods just brought about new unwanted side effects . My first preference is AWD and if that is not possible then rear wheel drive.
Just want to put it out on record that the cars you quoted have been obsolete for 15 years. Tech has come a hell of a long ways since then. The MK6+ GTI is one of the best all-round cars money can buy. I have about 100hp over stock, with good tires, and I have never once experienced wheel hop. I launch the **** outta the DSG and it's held up wonderfully for my 60k miles of ownership (purchased with 73k miles, btw). With the pilot super sports, I never really want for traction.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:02 AM
kaj

Plus, FWD cars aren't really meant to have silly horsepower. I.E. in my drag racing days, we had Civics and Integras with anywhere from 300-650whp. We did it because of the challenge. Definitely not because it was the fastest or easiest way to do things We recognized we were fighting an uphill battle but it was fun.
Expecting a FWD to do well with a bunch of power is unrealistic. That being said, I think Honda has done something remarkable in regards to making this car drive so well and be FAST. I mean, like, all-around fast. Quarter mile is irrelevant here.
If someone is looking to run 10s, impress their friends with dyno numbers, or roll race on the freeway, this car is not for them. For someone looking to mod the crap out of a car and get the most WHP out of it.. probably also not. They should look elsewhere.
For what this car is meant to be, I think Honda hit a home run. Not easy for me to say, as I miss the old N/A days of revving to 9k. The looks are subjective, but growing on me, especially after seeing a few in person.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Plus, FWD cars aren't really meant to have silly horsepower. I.E. in my drag racing days, we had Civics and Integras with anywhere from 300-650whp. We did it because of the challenge. Definitely not because it was the fastest or easiest way to do things We recognized we were fighting an uphill battle but it was fun.
Expecting a FWD to do well with a bunch of power is unrealistic. That being said, I think Honda has done something remarkable in regards to making this car drive so well and be FAST. I mean, like, all-around fast. Quarter mile is irrelevant here.
If someone is looking to run 10s, impress their friends with dyno numbers, or roll race on the freeway, this car is not for them. For someone looking to mod the crap out of a car and get the most WHP out of it.. probably also not. They should look elsewhere.
For what this car is meant to be, I think Honda hit a home run. Not easy for me to say, as I miss the old N/A days of revving to 9k. The looks are subjective, but growing on me, especially after seeing a few in person.
Idk, from a roll they're pretty quick to my understanding. A guy said he pulled on I believe a C63 AMG from a roll from with a stage 1 Ktuner twice.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:12 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by jayevo23
Idk, from a roll they're pretty quick to my understanding. A guy said he pulled on I believe a C63 AMG from a roll from with a stage 1 Ktuner twice.
I'd consider that a bonus.

Also, kinda funny and related: I drove the Evo the other night to test some stuff. A Camaro was messing with me while getting on the freeway. Once the on ramp straightened out, he gunned it (of course he wouldn't try that while turning LOL). Anyway, I gave chase, turned on my signal and then passed him. I bet he wasn't too happy about that. Not bad for a road race car.
The following users liked this post:
jayevo23 (Feb 1, 2019)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jayevo23
lmao. A stock 1st gen C63 AMG does mid to low 12's at over 115mph. A stock Type R does maybe mid 13's at 105mph.

Going to need more than 50whp to gain 10mph in traps.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Old Feb 2, 2019, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the next gen golf r might be worth waiting for. Theres supposed to be a big bump in hp. I’m thinking they might use the rs3 engine since they both have the same basic platform.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 08:50 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
lmao. A stock 1st gen C63 AMG does mid to low 12's at over 115mph. A stock Type R does maybe mid 13's at 105mph.

Going to need more than 50whp to gain 10mph in traps.
I’ve seen as low as 102 and as high as 108 stock, but agree it isn’t pulling a C63 AMG with stage 1.

There’s an FBO car in PR trapping mid-high 1-teens, but already at fuel system limits with the smallish stock turbo and pump fuel. Sad.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 09:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ace75
I think the next gen golf r might be worth waiting for. Theres supposed to be a big bump in hp. I’m thinking they might use the rs3 engine since they both have the same basic platform.
Not gonna happen. Golf R is already 40k. The more exotic RS3/TTRS 5cyl would bump the price wayyyy higher.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 01:44 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Noize

I’ve seen as low as 102 and as high as 108 stock, but agree it isn’t pulling a C63 AMG with stage 1.

There’s an FBO car in PR trapping mid-high 1-teens, but already at fuel system limits with the smallish stock turbo and pump fuel. Sad.
Why sad? For a car not meant for drag racing, that sounds respectable to me.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I believe he is stating the car is already at some maximums with the stage 1 tune. Welcome to DI fueling.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 02:59 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by kaj
Because there’s not a current path to high horsepower. Coming out of an Evo X and Golf R, all you had to do was snap your fingers (and swipe your debit card). The K20C1 is going to be lots more tricky and expensive.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 03:43 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Noize

Because there’s not a current path to high horsepower. Coming out of an Evo X and Golf R, all you had to do was snap your fingers (and swipe your debit card). The K20C1 is going to be lots more tricky and expensive.
I gotcha. Yeah ,for someone needing a car with lots o' power, they'll need to go another route.
Honestly, I'm kinda glad I'm no longer on that path. It opens up a lot more possibilities. Plus, I spend less money and time working on the car.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 05:40 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by kaj
I gotcha. Yeah ,for someone needing a car with lots o' power, they'll need to go another route.
Honestly, I'm kinda glad I'm no longer on that path. It opens up a lot more possibilities. Plus, I spend less money and time working on the car.
Totally agree. I have no intention to mod it yet. There aren’t any Bryans or Jons tuning the US CTR at this time. Though I did find a great guy in the UK, that’s not helping me too much across the pond.

Quick Reply: CTR, Golf R, STI, EVO - Can I pick your Brain?