Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Tesla Plaid What are your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport9
I think one trick pony is the perfect way to describe it. Those evos were turned into drag cars (which I do not at all agree with). From the factory the evo is designed to do it all reliably as rally racing demands and by spending a pile turning it into a drag car you're wasting money when you could just do the same to a much cheaper dsm (or any car for that matter). The evo was never built for record breaking speeds but still capable of doing them, extremely nimble and controlled on the track using mechanical, not computer tech. Turning an evo into a drag car is like turning a gymnast into a body builder. This is a USA thing, in euro/uk, japan evo's have always been properly used.

I must digress though, The Tesla can only do one thing great. Go really really fast.
You obviously have tunnel vision in the way people use their vehicles. I see you are very opposed to diversity in car scenes. No you are wrong, other countries "exploit" the performance features of the Evo outside the U.S. as well. So what if the Evo is used as a drag car. There is a large following of drag enthusiasts as well as Rally enthusiasts. You are not going to sway people from the way they use their cars.
The Plaid shows just the rudimentary abilities of an EV product that is mass produced. It hasn't had the 100 years of development that ICE vehicles have had yet. This is the dawn of a new evolution of automotive technology. It does many "tricks" well. Sorry you can't focus outside of your limited view of vehicle development.
This being an enthusiast site displays many ways vehicles are enjoyed.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport9
No disconnect I get building a drag car to go fast in a straight line. It's just the way EV's do it. It would be like if humans could have babies without having sex. I just don't see the passion behind EV's but if others can, my hats off to them. I mean they make no sounds. BORINGGG!
Horse and buggy folks hated the "sounds" Model A's made too. It spooked their horses. I am tired of hearing loud exhausts from ICE vehicles (cars and bikes). Some quiet will be nice for a change. You seem to embrace the analog days more than what technology develops. Not saying it is wrong at all....just a limited scope.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Here’s a good video by 1320video with a girl running 9.08 the 1/4 mile in the Plaid.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.hotcars.com/worlds-first...ot-the-planet/

Electric Demon soon with a GASLOL license plate.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Here’s a run i did on a wet road.
The reason low 1/4 mph is i slammed the brakes because the road was ending.
9 sec 1/4 mile runs without even trying!!
Old Mar 6, 2022, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Can't wait for mine to arrive!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Can't wait for mine to arrive!
last week i ordered another Plaid too, its saying 4-8 weeks :-)

Last edited by DRAGHICI; Mar 10, 2022 at 03:13 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd rather get this but thats just me
Old Mar 21, 2022, 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
I thought you were talking Internal Combustion Engine when you said ICE but I see you were talking about the abs.....

I guess I haven't driven any new enough cars to know that's a thing now. Something like that did happen to MPP though when they were developing the Plaid for the track. Probably one of the mods they did made it happen.

snipped vid
looks like they figured out the brake issue... and they put a normal steering wheel on it

Old Mar 21, 2022, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
looks like they figured out the brake issue... and they put a normal steering wheel on it

https://youtu.be/K7K9zcJM0Bc
Dannggg that's really fast on that track. Especially with those missed apexes. Turns out with some chassis tuning it's more than a one trick pony. I don't know why it still has PS4S (One Lap requirement?) but that thing needs some R comps for sure.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 21, 2022, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
Dannggg that's really fast on that track. Especially with those missed apexes. Turns out with some chassis tuning it's more than a one trick pony. I don't know why it still has PS4S (One Lap requirement?) but that thing needs some R comps for sure.

​​​​​​
so other than watching the vid and seeing the brake issue isn't a thing anymore, I don't really know anything about it. as far as I know the only One Lap tire requirement is that you have to start and finish on the same set of tires. Given the cars weight and speed, the PS4S could be the best tire that can actually last all of One Lap.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
This guy is the classic doesnt get it. I have never once, thought to myself "why do I have to shift my own gears" or "why do I need a transmission" blah blah blah...LOL!

Just admit you want to drive a glorified iPhone and be done with it... :-)

Last edited by Crzykdd; Mar 31, 2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Here’s a funny video showing the speed difference in different situations

Old Apr 15, 2022, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
More info in a new video of the Plaid build. They talk about the brake failure (vaguely) at 5:15.

Old Apr 16, 2022, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Just like all cars, For everyday driving the brakes are fine.
for racetrack or spirited driving you need to get better pads and or rotors, fluid, ss lines?
it all depends how hard you want to push the limit!

Quick Reply: Tesla Plaid What are your Thoughts?