Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

03 Evo vs. 02 DINAN M5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:20 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how long would it take to lap Tsukuba
Anyways, not so young NSX-R lapped the Ring in 7.56 with almost half the horsepower.
And everyone knows that the Ring is a very fast track.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:20 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by verc
...you are...wrong. No offense, just factually speaking. Don't even talk to tuners about torque and horsepower, PICK UP A PHYSICS BOOK AND READ IT. The answer is so simple, yet for like 50 years people have been meaninglessly debating horsepower vs. torque with only hearsay as evidence. I have no idea why people haven't gotten any smarter and just...went to school and checked "physics" as a science course their senior year of high school or something.
Ok well I guess I am wrong, and I guess you like telling people that they are, but can you post up some information why. It would be nice if you could save me the step of finding a physics book.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
tell us what happens man!. my bet is on the evo just like half the people said as long as u have around 450 hp and if u can find better suspension that would be good too
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:28 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Streetrcrm3
Ok well I guess I am wrong, and I guess you like telling people that they are, but can you post up some information why. It would be nice if you could save me the step of finding a physics book.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com

Please don't turn this into another HP TQ thread.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'd race him once you get aleast 370whp. I raced a modded Z06 and a 450whp supra and beat them from 40-110 with my 366whp evo. I'm not sure how but maybe our power delivery is different or something
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evolanced
Hi everyone.

Let me get straight to the point. I got my Evo a couple months ago. I say I'm definitely a better than average driver, with overall good (maybe not yet excellent) racing skills.

Anyway, this guy Bob at work just bought an M5 from an auction some 1 month ago. It's in mint condition, red, a 2002 6-spd. A couple days ago he had a HUGE Dinan package put in. I say HUGE because he claims to have spent about 12k on it (which I think is BS). I know it includes like CAI's, heavily upgraded ECU, bigger TB's, cams I thinks...the list goes on. Now he also claims that it gave him some 90 hp, is this possible? I mean he's still NA? I think he may be lying.

I know stock M5 is approx 400 and he now claims to have like 485. My Evo is stock and people told me that I would be eaten alive NOW. But I know this performance place that tunes Evo's with this one package that guarantees 400 hp flat. I know it's like bigger turbo, boost, blah blah blah etc.

So there, the guy wants to bet me big $$$ that even when I tune my Evo with the 400 hp package, he will still be faster. Should I bet him? I mean, I'm getting this package that's for sure, it's only a matter of time. So should I race him or will he really make me look like a clown?

Thanks in advance for all input!

Bob is out of his ever-loving-mind. High power Evo's are capeable of 1.6sec 60 foot times and 0-60mph launches in 2.6 seconds; yes that's right 2.6 seconds. But don't take my word for it, ask Dave Buschur
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hooptie157
I'd race him once you get aleast 370whp. I raced a modded Z06 and a 450whp supra and beat them from 40-110 with my 366whp evo. I'm not sure how but maybe our power delivery is different or something
Absolutely - Stage 1+ on race gas will beat the Dinan M5

Last edited by meanmud; Aug 18, 2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolanced
Hi everyone.

Let me get straight to the point. I got my Evo a couple months ago. I say I'm definitely a better than average driver, with overall good (maybe not yet excellent) racing skills.

Anyway, this guy Bob at work just bought an M5 from an auction some 1 month ago. It's in mint condition, red, a 2002 6-spd. A couple days ago he had a HUGE Dinan package put in. I say HUGE because he claims to have spent about 12k on it (which I think is BS). I know it includes like CAI's, heavily upgraded ECU, bigger TB's, cams I thinks...the list goes on. Now he also claims that it gave him some 90 hp, is this possible? I mean he's still NA? I think he may be lying.

I know stock M5 is approx 400 and he now claims to have like 485. My Evo is stock and people told me that I would be eaten alive NOW. But I know this performance place that tunes Evo's with this one package that guarantees 400 hp flat. I know it's like bigger turbo, boost, blah blah blah etc.

So there, the guy wants to bet me big $$$ that even when I tune my Evo with the 400 hp package, he will still be faster. Should I bet him? I mean, I'm getting this package that's for sure, it's only a matter of time. So should I race him or will he really make me look like a clown?

Thanks in advance for all input!

Hey, just think about it this way. I have ATP turbo kit 3071 with xede and I have somked so far but not limited to: M3, M5, 911 966 TT X(3) (5 cars ahead till 130 mph) ferrari 355, RS6, and Z06 backing down. Most of these cars were smoked by 2 to 6 cars except the 355 it was a car behind me until 110 mph. You dont need a huge turbo to smoke him you need GT30 R and you will eat almost anything on the road.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what's ridiculous is how you guys are comparing a low speed course results to a high speed course results. the top speed of the evo is 167, that's marginally over the average speed of the fastest lap around nurimburg... i don't care if the evo loses in the ring, i think it suffices to say it's not really made for it. now what is the m5 made for? answer that one. apples and oranges.

but at least there are others that think the same as me, how fast would it go round tsukuba and how well does the evo do? anyone know? i'm sure i wouldn't be THAT dissapointed.

Last edited by trinydex; Aug 18, 2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yes the M5 can be fast but I just finished street tunning my AEM in the rain try that in RWD car. I say run him from a stop and it shoud be game over.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Out of curiousity, what does the Evo stock (or FQ versions) run around the infamous ring? To top it off, GM was claiming pre production that the CTS-V would run it in 8:00 flat only to come up about 35 seconds slower when it was tested.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 09:07 PM

If you have or will have a 400 HP EVO and you're confidence in your driving skill and the race is from a stop with a reasonably short distance (1/4-1/3 mile), bet him. The M5 will have a higher top speed than you with it's aerodynamic power, and gearing and I suspect that it will begin to reel you in after about 115 MPH.

A 400 HP EVO with a good launch will net you low 12's @ 110 mph + at the 1/4 mile. Here's a little link about the Dinan M5:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tuned/0402ec_dinan/

Are you sure you're going to get 400 HP? If so - again, bet him.

I'm a former M3 owner and will never bash an M/// Car. Comparing an M5 to an EVO is apples and oranges. Let us know of the result...
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

an evo with 400 hp will probably trap close to 120.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by trinydex
wow... you're all really amazing... laps the ring in 8:00 huh? i'm sure that means you guys know what the shape of the ring is, and i'm sure you all know that the record holder for the fastest lap around the ring spent most of his time above 140 miles per hour, let's see if you can figure out what i'm trying to insinuate from that.

faster than a zo6 huh? handles better than our evo huh? care to tell me why its top gear time is lower? cuz the top gear test course is actually challenging perhaps? it's not a ring in germany that is full of straights and highspeed corners perhaps? that's just like saying nascars have great handling... they ****in' have all their weight on the driver side to lower their center of gravity on a circle track for god sake.
Do you know what the **** you are talking about? The Ring is easily one of the world's greatest tracks to test out cars.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:14 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Google
Out of curiousity, what does the Evo stock (or FQ versions) run around the infamous ring? To top it off, GM was claiming pre production that the CTS-V would run it in 8:00 flat only to come up about 35 seconds slower when it was tested.
I found a time of 8:25 for a Carisma GT Evo VII, which I think is the same car as the Lancer Evo but with a different body (correct me if I'm wrong). Another site has the JDM Evo7 at 9:37 (STi 9:42, Z06 8:53, S2000 9:51) but I'm not sure about the driver or source.

Quick Reply: 03 Evo vs. 02 DINAN M5