Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

03 Evo vs. 02 DINAN M5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Evo vs. 02 DINAN M5

Hi everyone.

Let me get straight to the point. I got my Evo a couple months ago. I say I'm definitely a better than average driver, with overall good (maybe not yet excellent) racing skills.

Anyway, this guy Bob at work just bought an M5 from an auction some 1 month ago. It's in mint condition, red, a 2002 6-spd. A couple days ago he had a HUGE Dinan package put in. I say HUGE because he claims to have spent about 12k on it (which I think is BS). I know it includes like CAI's, heavily upgraded ECU, bigger TB's, cams I thinks...the list goes on. Now he also claims that it gave him some 90 hp, is this possible? I mean he's still NA? I think he may be lying.

I know stock M5 is approx 400 and he now claims to have like 485. My Evo is stock and people told me that I would be eaten alive NOW. But I know this performance place that tunes Evo's with this one package that guarantees 400 hp flat. I know it's like bigger turbo, boost, blah blah blah etc.

So there, the guy wants to bet me big $$$ that even when I tune my Evo with the 400 hp package, he will still be faster. Should I bet him? I mean, I'm getting this package that's for sure, it's only a matter of time. So should I race him or will he really make me look like a clown?

Thanks in advance for all input!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

AEM EMS
GT35R Turbo
Front Mount IC
HKS 272 Cams
3-Inch Turbo-Back Exhaust
Boost Control
Tuning

This set-up should easily yield 500+ crank HP.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:26 PM

Spending 10k on your evo for the 1/4 mile will smoke the dinan m5. The dinan m5 is n/a, very heavy, and even with all the mods that dinan overcharges its customers I have no doubt that you should be able to take it in 1/4 mile, however you did not mention what type of race you were having, but for the 1/4 my bet would be on the evo.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:29 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
$12000 for a Dinan M5 package sounds pretty low, actually.

The Stage 2 M5 package runs $27k and pushes HP to 470 and torque to 419, and also includes a shorter final drive. You can piecemeal engine parts to get to 480+ without spending the full $27k.

Would I bet him? No. At least not without at least 450 HP under the hood.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

M5's are sweet...you can check out Dinan's website...they are very pricey and usually yield minimal results for what you pay. Check out what they gained on the e46 M3 in actual tests. The M5 can get pretty good results from being uncorked and is a formidable car stock...low 13's high 12's possible.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:43 PM

big and heavy, yes, but they run high 12's normally (Car and Driver). i have spent a lot of time in a '01 and you might get him in the quarter but after that forget it. a normal M5 will eat you alive after the 1/4 mile. now an S2 dinan gets to 60 in 4.2 (again C&D) and i can't quote the exacty times after that, but i hope you have some serious mods to bet him big bucks.

now on a twisty mountain road? gimme the evo.

good luck
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if it's a road race on a racetrack and not 1/4 mile, then don't even bother upgrading the engine ... get the RRE suspension and put John Mueller in the driver's seat and split the winnings with him, hehe

l8r)
Old Aug 17, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

What are you guys talking about, M5 is an awesome car, but it has no where near the dollar for HP potential of an EVO, I mean RS guy said it right-

AEM EMS
GT35R Turbo
Front Mount IC
HKS 272 Cams
3-Inch Turbo-Back Exhaust
Boost Control
Tuning

Should easily net an EVO well over 450WHP and 11 second 1/4 mile times, the Dinan M5 could never touch that. Sh*t even less expensive turbos can yield 400WHP+ and can run 11s. Dude even stock turbo EVO with $4,000 to $5,000 worth of mods have been running high 11s to low 12s. I'm not so impressed with the Dinan M5, especially when a tuned bolt ons EVO can take it out.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
**** M5s, over priced overweight wannabe sports car plush pillow pieces of ****. granted i wouldn't mind pushin' one as a daily i wouldn't give up the performance associated with an evo. if you wanna take him after mods that's ok... but i bet you can take him on the turns NOW.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

**** M5s, over priced overweight wannabe sports car plush pillow pieces of ****.

WOW, ok, they are wonderful cars, in fact when the NEW M5 comes out, it will probably handle as well if not BETTER then our Evo. The older 5 Series sedan is Just as FAst as Vette if not faster from a roll. That DINAN package makes it as fast as a Z06, ,you need mods but not unbeatable.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:28 PM

Talking

The E60 m5 does the ring in 8:00 minutes, while the e46 m3 does it in 8:25. That saws a lot for a sedan to run the ring in such an amazing time. How can these cars even be really compared? The m5 a comfortable daily driver with some power, while the other is a japanese sedan with rally roots, awd, and of course affordable to own and mod while compared to the m5.

The torque on the e39 m5 (current model) will definately eat you up after a 1/4 so be aware. Why not have the best of both worlds and have one of each?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Streetrcrm3
The torque on the e39 m5 (current model) will definately eat you up after a 1/4 so be aware. Why not have the best of both worlds and have one of each?
...you are...wrong. No offense, just factually speaking. Don't even talk to tuners about torque and horsepower, PICK UP A PHYSICS BOOK AND READ IT. The answer is so simple, yet for like 50 years people have been meaninglessly debating horsepower vs. torque with only hearsay as evidence. I have no idea why people haven't gotten any smarter and just...went to school and checked "physics" as a science course their senior year of high school or something.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
wow... you're all really amazing... laps the ring in 8:00 huh? i'm sure that means you guys know what the shape of the ring is, and i'm sure you all know that the record holder for the fastest lap around the ring spent most of his time above 140 miles per hour, let's see if you can figure out what i'm trying to insinuate from that.

faster than a zo6 huh? handles better than our evo huh? care to tell me why its top gear time is lower? cuz the top gear test course is actually challenging perhaps? it's not a ring in germany that is full of straights and highspeed corners perhaps? that's just like saying nascars have great handling... they ****in' have all their weight on the driver side to lower their center of gravity on a circle track for god sake.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

I cant believe you're comparing the top gear test course to the Nurburgring. Ask some drivers about that one. Oh my I'm in real shock...thats the sillyest post ever.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:17 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by trinydex
wow... you're all really amazing... laps the ring in 8:00 huh? i'm sure that means you guys know what the shape of the ring is, and i'm sure you all know that the record holder for the fastest lap around the ring spent most of his time above 140 miles per hour, let's see if you can figure out what i'm trying to insinuate from that.

faster than a zo6 huh? handles better than our evo huh? care to tell me why its top gear time is lower? cuz the top gear test course is actually challenging perhaps? it's not a ring in germany that is full of straights and highspeed corners perhaps? that's just like saying nascars have great handling... they ****in' have all their weight on the driver side to lower their center of gravity on a circle track for god sake.
The new E60 m5 is not even released yet I dunno how Top Gear got hold of one. Your immaturity is pretty amazing, I guess when the evo doesn't win in every category we have a serious complex?

For a sedan to have a v-10 producing 507 bhp I doubt it would have any trouble going over 140 mph, buts its not really about big hp to go fast around the ring.

MJT

editted for spelling.

Last edited by Streetrcrm3; Aug 18, 2004 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 Evo vs. 02 DINAN M5