Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Seconds thoughts about the Evo....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seconds thoughts about the Evo....

You guys might flame me for this but im gonan say it anyways. Ok well im gonna use my car for a track with turns and straite line speed. I was set for the evo but people kept on saying that the car had no "top end" and that it would get smoked cars like the srt-4 and what not. well when i was hearing this then i started gettting second thoguhts and was thinking about the Cobra. I know this car is fast in a straite line, but can it turn? And i want to make like a 11.5-12.00 second car. SO can i do this with a decent amount of money with the evo, or will the cobra do alot better in that catagory? Thank you for all the help. ? or ?
Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Take a 10th anniversary Cobra, spend $6200 bucks, make 498whp, and pull an est. 0.94 on a skidpad.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

how fast do you plan to go on the straightaways? and besides the fact that the "top end" problem can be fixed easily with a reflash or MBC. And you're asking if the car can turn???

If you're asking all these questions, you've probably never test drove an Evo. It might help if you go to a dealership and test drive one, that way you can be sure for yourself.

Nebo
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:07 PM

I know an evo can turn...im tlaking about the cobra
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Based on my last post, lemme say this. Take that same $6200 bucks and slap is on your EVO, and guess what? Now you can run with that same Cobra AND have three witnesses with you.

If you are truely interested, I agree with NEBO. Test drive both back to back. Any amount of mods can make one especially better than the other.

I vote EVO, you don't sound like an arrogant Mustang owner.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People who say "evo's has no top end" have been riding in stock evos. Boost controller cures that..
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Poo on doubting the Evo.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:56 PM

y do so little people reply? alot of people give feedback to the dummest things lol, but thx to the guys that did reply
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i am going to have to go with the evo too, its a better track or race car i general than the cobra.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

straight line is will the cobra both stock and with the same $$$ in mods will outperform the Evo. A cobra can be modified to handle well on the track too though. I believe it comes down to preference. Both cars are amazingly fast and botha great value.

These cars or soooooo different though, you really can't compare them. I didn't buy a cobra because I like the Evo better, and I'm sure vice versa for Cobra owners. Anyone with any automotive/perofrmance knowledge cannot deny both cars are awesome in theri own repspects. The cobra with its traditional sports car set-up, Front Engine - RWD, and it enormous amount of torque and HP available immediately. Not to metion the awesome sound of that V8 muscle. Then again the Evo has it's own very different perosanality, and sounds very good in its own respect.

The cobra is a very brutish/in your face traditional muscle car. The Evo a much more subdued presence, but just as deadly non the less. MY .02, get the Evo for a more all-purpose speedster/track car, but if you want to win at the 1/4, go with the cobra.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I hate it when people say the EVO has no top end, absolutely stupid, and sorry SRT-4 does not smoke an EVO on the top end, all though I admit it is close, and due to gearing the SRT-4 could possibly pull a half a car to a car up top, but come on does that mean it's slow. Ok the EVO pulls one to two cars on the 350Z, the EVO can pull one to two cars on an S2000, the EVO can pull one to two cars on VR4, but I don't hear people calling those cars weak on the top end. It's just that the EVO with it's AWD over shadows it's top end so much, that people forget that it does have it. Plus with $2,000 to $4,000 worth of mods your EVO will easily trap well over 110MPH+ (even as high as 115-116MPH). Also the Cobra does have more top end than the EVO, will of course it does with 390HP, but even with such a huge HP advantage the Cobra is no where near the track car the EVO is, if you think it is then you are just absolutely stupid. I don't care if it has 390HP, the EVO easily would hand the Cobra it's *** on a race course, the Cobra weighs over 3600Lbs and feels even heavier, better just stick to drag racing. I've seen many former Cobra owners post on these forums and they agree that the difference between the EVO and the Cobra is night and day, the Cobra is a 6 inch Knife that will cut you bad, but the EVO is a swiss army knife that will cut you, cut your nails, file your nails, open your cans, and cut your papers. The point is the Cobra does one thing very well, but the EVO does many things well.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
I don't care if it has 390HP, the EVO easily would hand the Cobra it's *** on a race course,.
i hate rustangs but this statement is completely false.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Competely false, Um I think not, you don't honestly believe a Cobra is a better all around performance vehicle than the EVO, even former Cobra owners would laugh at that comment. Maybe you should hand your EVO over to me if you seem to be having trouble beating 3600 to 3700LBs Cobra, that slalom almost 6-8MPH slower and have consistently pull lower skidpad numbers (mid .8g to the EVOs low to mid .9g), and take 15FT and 25FT on the average to stop from 60MPH and 80MPH respectively. Also you people act like the EVO is just a dawg to drag race, Subaru owners should know this, but I've seen plenty of Cobras beat by EVOs at the drag strip, I mean come on $4,000 to $4,500 and an EVO could see mid to high 11s, absolutely amazing, very few other japanese imports can hit 11s on stock turbo and no Nos.

Last edited by 3000ways; Sep 16, 2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:22 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Competely false, Um I think not, you don't honestly believe a Cobra is a better all around performance vehicle than the EVO, even former Cobra owners would laugh at that comment.
On a race course, with a straight, the Cobra will make up whatever time it loses under braking and in the corners due to its 120+ (390 is underrated) horsepower advantage. Go race even a stock Cobra from a roll and report back on how badly he beat you. The Cobras has some serious power and it's difficult to overcome that with handling alone. Don't get me wrong though, the Evo's still the better overall car.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I agree that a course with very long straights would make it much tougher for the EVO to beat the Cobra, cuz the Cobra would consistently pull on the EVO, but I don't think the Cobra has enough to make up for it's disadvantages. Sure the Cobra will pull, but the EVO will the close the gap substantially with it's superior cornering speed, and I believe the EVOs advantage in the corners is greater than the Cobras advantage in the straights. It's like a boxer (boxer A) with a very powerful punch fighting a boxer (boxer B) with a very good punch, exellent speed, and exellent reflexes. Is the very powerful punch of the boxer A enough to overcome his disadvantages? That's why I love cars, so many different ways of going fast, just love the EVO the most.