Notices
Member Unresolved Disputes Discuss incomplete sales including undelivered parts or payment for member to member sales.

So, I bought a broken transmission...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
So, I bought a broken transmission...

To keep my personal opinion out of this post, I will just state the facts as I saw them. I will say the guy (Jsiebert) seems like a cool enough guy, so I'm not saying anything personal about him. Here's what happened:

1. He approached me via Facebook, I believe it was. He stated that he had a 5spd trans for sale.
2. I asked if he had an EvoM account, he said yes. He gave me his screen name, I then looked him up and he seemed to be a legit guy.
3. I sent $1150 for the 5spd.
4. The transmission arrived in a box that was a bit beat up (I worked for UPS, so i get it LOL). No big deal.
5. Upon inspection, i saw nothing wrong with the transmission. I did note that a LOT of pieces were missing. My fault for not asking about it being 100% complete; I guess I'm ignorant as to what comes with a transmission.
6. Pieces that were missing: Guide for the throwout bearing (transmission retainer), all rubber vents and inspection covers, cable bracket, clutch release fork boot, select lever shoe. Again, I'm not sure what should come with a used trans, but it definitely wasn't ready to be installed.
Seller did offer to order and send me an aftermarket, improved shoe, which was very cool, but I haven't heard back yet. It was coming from overseas, so could take a while.
7. I get all the parts in (ordered my own shoe, because i needed the car on the road) and realize the lever shoe doesn't stay in. I then take a closer look and see the bracket attached to the shift assy is bent. I take the bracket off and try to hammer it straight. After doing my best, everything *kinda* fit.
8. I get into the car and it won't go through the gears. That's when I take a look and see the entire shift assy is bent. Pics at the bottom of this post. My first thought was to put the blame on UPS, but the damage on the box wasn't near the assy. Also, the assy, shows no signs of being hit or dropped on. When I went to remove and inspect the part, one of the bolts were loose; not even hand tight. the other three were very loose.
9. Seller said if wanted to send the trans back, he'd refund my money. At this point, I can't because all my cash is gone. My payment, minus shipping, leaves me with not enough to get something else. I'm kinda committed at this time.
10. Seller offers to send me some money back. At first I tell him it's "buyer beware" and i accept the situation but he insists because "that's not how my shop does business". Fair enough. I tell him I appreciate it and keep him updated on the cost of shift assys. I tell him I scored one for $100 but stopped hearing back.

So, that's what's happened thus far. I bought a crappy transmission because i didn't think to clarify all parts where there and I assumed it wasn't damaged.

Old Jul 15, 2016, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
aw damn. sounds like a decent guy, **** happens sometimes I guess? if I were you I really would send it back.. maybe rebuild the 6 yourself? at least shotpeen the gears or something?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 04:28 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
aw damn. sounds like a decent guy, **** happens sometimes I guess? if I were you I really would send it back.. maybe rebuild the 6 yourself? at least shotpeen the gears or something?

I bought another 6 and listing the 5 swap for sale. Bleh
Old Jul 15, 2016, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
That sucks. i have a 6 i could have sold you, the exchange would have been in your favor lol. Hope the 6 you bought works out.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 04:49 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
That sucks. i have a 6 i could have sold you, the exchange would have been in your favor lol. Hope the 6 you bought works out.
I dunno. Paid $1000+ for the 5spd and $400 for the 6spd.. Not so sure that would have been a favorable trade for me. LOL
And thanks, I'm excited to go back.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 08:13 PM
kaj

Update: no parts. No cash returned. I fixed the transmission, replaced the parts, and sold it at a loss (my choice to sell, of course).
Seemed like a cool dude at first. Another lesson learned: don't trust anyone just because they seem nice LOL.