Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

words of wisdom: if it sounds like a broken belt its probably a broken belt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
words of wisdom: if it sounds like a broken belt its probably a broken belt

today has been the worst day ever. this morning i was on my way to work, and heard the sound of a belt coming off. ahh the lovely sound of the belt as it frays and smacks everything in its path. i immediately "thought" it was the serpentine belt as it looked cracked and worn the last time i changed my oil but put it off. i immediately pulled over to see if my suspicions were correct, but didnt see anything. i left the car idling as i looked with my cellphone which was very limited lighting. the ac pulley was spinning so i thought maybe i just ran over a limb and drug it or something? so i continued to work with no problem. put it off all day at work forgot about it and drove home tentavely and somewhat worried. made it home no prob. when i popped the hood to see exactly what the noise was there was half of the belt tangled around my licp and the other half somehow stayed on all the pulleys and held enough to get me 60+ miles to and back from work. how lucky is that?

moral of the story guys is dont be a douche like me and put off maintenance because it looks or you think it caan last a bit longer. if the part looks worn replace it immediately because you might not get so lucky.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow 0_0 ur lucky lol. that would have been really really bad :/
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya it would have. i prob should have just went home and went back to sleep cuz i was certain it was the serpentine belt.. but after getting all the way to work and the car not overheating or losing power steering and the car dying, i was second guessing what it could have been. usually when the smallest piece comes of it pulls the rest of the belt off with it. but i was lucky. i dont even want to know what the tow truck cost would have been to get it towed back home. and if i knew how easy it was to replace that belt i would have done it when i first found the crack in it. live and learn i guess.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

how many miles is your car sitting on?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:20 PM

It's hard to purchase the parts for EVOX now///
Old Nov 5, 2023, 09:47 PM

Your experience is a cautionary tale about the importance of timely maintenance. It's easy to overlook things, but your fortunate outcome serves as a reminder that addressing issues promptly can prevent more significant problems down the road. Thanks for sharing.
Spoiler

Last edited by CharlesRodrigu; Nov 20, 2023 at 02:40 AM.