Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

Rant: 99.1 Whfs is now Spanish!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rant: 99.1 Whfs is now Spanish!!!

Those of you in the DC area who listen to the radio might, or might not know, what has happened to 99.1. For those of you that don't know, it is now a Spanish station... If you are just as upset about this as I am sign the petition

99.1 is a huge part of the Washington DC area and it going off the air means the end to an era. Without 99.1 all we got left is DC 101... a little compitition is a good thing. 99.1 also sponsers and promotes many local artists, and gives airtime to local bands. Their programming for years has been up to the DJs and not subject to corperate butt munches. 99.1 was the first place for new music. (Side note: They've introduced me to so many bands and artists that I would have never heard) They truely put the spotlight on unique music...

Also HFS Festival is huge deal in this area bringing many big bands to this area.

I'm all for Spanish stations but not at the cost of such an instatution in our area.

I grew up on 99.1 and have been an avid listener for years now. Even if you are a fan of the other radio stations realize that with the loss of 99.1 we are losing something very important to the Washington DC/ Baltimore area. Please sign the petition... it's a long shot but at the very least we can show that we want a radio station like 99.1.

Fox
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

I was really upset. I tried to tune into the sports junkies this morning and it was nothing but salsa. Not only did they change stations, but they changed languages. My friend is in and around the industry and he said that Infinity really wanted to cash in on the possible million hispanic people in the DC metro area. They've been slowly putting more of an edge on mix106.5 to try to take the place of HFS. HFS was having a hard time competing against DC 101 so thats mainly why they went under. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing. Everytime I turn on another station, AC/DC is playing and I want to throw up. Sorry but they're just not my taste. There are other rock stations but nothing can take the place of hfs. Even though theres not a snowballs chance in hell of that petition doing anything, I'll be a good sport and sign it.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

hahaha I thought it was really funny when I heard Spanish. I'm all for the Spanish station as well, but it was really funny.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

I speak spanish fluently, I married a Spanish girl, I lived in Central America for a few years, I love spanish TV, language, people, futbol, I even love a lot of Spanish music (Mana, Ricardo Montaner, Lucero, Older style "trio" music is the best), and I love dancing Merenque (I can't Salsa) at Spanish clubs in DC, etc...

But I HATE spanish radio! Bad memories of standing with my head bent to avoid the low ceiling on an old converted school bus driving 4 hours through the jungle in the rain (windows up - 100degrees outside) with smoke and B.O. and the occasional chicken on someone's lap with the lady sitting next to me breast feeding a 5-year-old with an old barely wired fuzzbox tweeter blaring spanish radio directly into my ear
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

theres spanish people in DC? How the hell did they get way up there?
There taking over I tell ya. they always wanna sell you a taco or something.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sophic
Mexicans go to the southwest (TX, AZ, NM, CA). Cubans to Miami. PR to NYC. Salvadorans come to DC. There are pockets of NoVa that are 99.9% hispanic. South Arlington, Northern Falls Church, older parts of Alexandria. It has become an prominent issue around here because people aren't used to it. 100 men loitering outside 7-elevens each morning waiting for day labor jobs, swarming to every truck that pulls up to get a breakfast burrito. Deadly Hispanic gang violence in primarily affluent Northern VA. Tons of people who barely speak 10 words of english working at customer-counter jobs and lost of people who simply don't know our customs (especially driving etiquette). This abrupt radio change is another thing that's driving more of a wedge for some people, and reaching out for others. On the other hand, we have some of the best landscaped yards around
Old Jan 15, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

I love Spanish/Latino/South American culture as much as the next non-Spanish/Latino/South American guy... I even took three years of spanish in Highschool and can understand the small words really well when spoken slowly.... But come on now... couldn't they take away Z104 or anyone of the crappy country music stations????? I'm still pissed.

Fox
Old Jan 16, 2005, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, I was in BelAir the night it went off the air and 98ROCK was broadcasting from the mexican resturant. I thought it was a huge joke so I just did a quick scan and I went from funny joke to pissed. HFS is a great station and I love there concerts. *sigh
Old Jan 18, 2005, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Those who can't live without the Junkies will be happy to know starting today at 11 they're back on WJFK...
Old Jan 18, 2005, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sophic

Old Jan 19, 2005, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Those who can't live without the Junkies will be happy to know starting today at 11 they're back on WJFK...
I can live without the Junkies just fine, they sucked and I guess will continue to suck on WJFK... my morning show is Elliot in the morning on 101... but 99.1 had better music by far. I think this seals it for me... I'm going satilite once I get the money for it. Maybe I can get in on my dad's plan.

Fox
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Damn...WHFS as we knew it is gone...the end of an era...
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:58 PM

HFS is reportedly back (so say the Junkies) 105 something or other is broadcasting as the new HFS.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bugula
HFS is reportedly back (so say the Junkies) 105 something or other is broadcasting as the new HFS.
For rizzile? Holy crap... I'm going to go check now...

Fox
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bugula
I checked the dial and couldn't find anything. I think the Junkies got moved to a new station but the rest of the HFS crew got dumped.

Fox

PS- I'll check again tomorrow...

Quick Reply: Rant: 99.1 Whfs is now Spanish!!!