Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

SEMA and Virginia Exhaust Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEMA and Virginia Exhaust Issue

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Legislation to Allow Reasonable Exhaust System Modifications

Introduced in Virginia

Legislation (H.B. 2895) that would allow Virginia’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test standard has been introduced in the Virginia State Legislature by Delegate William Fralin (Del_Fralin@house.state.va.us)

We Urge You to Contact Your Virginia State Legislators Immediately to Support H.B. 2895

· H.B. 2895 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test (Society of Automotive Engineers J1169 - May 1998).

· H.B. 2895 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.

· H.B. 2895 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust systems not of a type installed as standard factory equipment are considered illegal - even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

· H.B. 2895 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased durability and performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

· H.B. 2895 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.

Contact Delegate Fralin (Del_Fralin@house.state.va.us)to thank him. Contact your own state legislators in Richmond immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their support for this legislation. If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are and their contact information, please contact the Virginia Legislature’s General Information Line at (804) 698-1500. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007, ext. 38 or via the Internet at http://www.semasan.com/ContactYourLegislator.aspx Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org or fax to 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office

1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20004

Attention: Steve McDonald
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome... just a note, the Buschur race pipe I used to have was 97db at WOT :LOL:
I think this change would be perfect, because right now it seems to be very subjective, which is not fair.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

sweet
Old Jan 24, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vegasboy301
sweet
Thanks for the support but I dont think this applies to you.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QuickEvo
Thanks for the support but I dont think this applies to you.
Which is why threads that pertain to a specific part of the US belong in a regional forum, and not in Evo General. Please in the future pay closer attention to where you put newly created threads.

Moving this from Evo General to a regional...

SC~
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm confused with all this jargon. maybe it's cuz i'm exhausted, and i can barely see...

but does this mean that all our exhausts must be under 95 decibels?

it's cool that they can no longer ticket you for aftermarket exhausts... but what does this do, essentially? train the officers into accurately judging the legal sound limit of the exhaust? what exactly is a fair and predictable test?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hueman
i'm confused with all this jargon. maybe it's cuz i'm exhausted, and i can barely see...

but does this mean that all our exhausts must be under 95 decibels?

it's cool that they can no longer ticket you for aftermarket exhausts... but what does this do, essentially? train the officers into accurately judging the legal sound limit of the exhaust? what exactly is a fair and predictable test?
hueman, this isn't the law... yet. Right now, the law is very vague and subjective. Basically it says "no different/louder than stock". If the law said "under 95db", then you'd know exactly whether or not you're legal. Cops would need to carry a Db meter to prove you deserve a ticket, and you could carry your own to prove you don't. Also, only the very loudest (eg. Buschur with race pipe and race muffler) are over 95db.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

sweetness
Old Jan 29, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

I know when I lived in Upstate NY, a lot of police officers carrier dB meters... For stereo reason though... There was a 25 ft law... Yea gay!!!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

I saw the link on DCevo clubs site a few days ago and already signed it. I hope it passes. To many imports get pulled over when Mustangs and other domestics fly right by cops with no problem. And after we get pulled over they tickect us for everything else under the sun, just to hastle us. I really hope this is made law.

Fox