Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

Virginia Exhaust Violations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is the officers discretion to say it was loud or not. Lots of my boys are state troopers now, or at the local pd. They just say to have different state plates and your chances get reduced dramatically. Its like the Aggressive Driver Bullshi*. Either way, I cant stand virginia.
And yes, I have gotten pulled over for deffective exhaust- aftermarket. The officer just wanted to pull me over. It was 0530 on a dark empty street, so guess he had to up his adrenaline to wake up.
The judge said that the officer said it was to loud, I mentioned that I realize this and since have installed my exhaust sound dampner on the tip of the muffler. She said well, guess you should have thought of that before the officer pulled you over- guilty have a nice day.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have been pulled over and ticketed twice for my exhaust. once by state and once by VBPD. it sucks but hey what ever I like my exhaust and I am going to keep it. I just take it easy around the cops. my thing is you have the motorcycles, like the harleys and such type bikes, that I never seen pulled for exhaust noise, I mean I know that they are pretty much straight pipes and all. or the guys with mustangs that have their loud exhausts, now don't get me wrong I love modified exhaust, I don't own a vehicle that does have stock exhaust. my truck has flowmasters and I have never been pulled on that. I think cops just have a thing against the imports.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by InsaneEVO
Aftermarket exhaust isn't illegal. It's only illegal if it exceeds factory exhaust in volume. Unless it's been changed within the last 5 years, that's how I read it when the officer highlighted it and handed it to me to read after I disputed how "loud" the car actually was. The messed up part is they have no clue how loud the factory exhaust is and yes, in my traffic court experiences in Virginia it's up to you to prove you are innocent which is even more messed up in my mind.

Hell, I was ticketed for my exhaust when I wrecked my car. Tell me how the officer has any idea how loud it is when the car won't run...
Unless they changed it since September of '06 (when I left NoVA), ANY modification to your exhaust, unless being replaced with an OEM or OEM equivelent, is illegal, regardless if it meets the decibal limit.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I know that is what the law says but that means just about anybody that has a sports car( there aren't many that don't upgrade the exhaust) would get pulled for it but it is like they just pick and choose. that would also mean that almost every truck in my home county would get pulled cause I don't know too many that have their stock exhaust. I just think that it is just a stupid one to enforce or try to enforce. that is just my thought though.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

One of the main reasons i traded my evo in was FFX county cops, i got pulled over so many times that i didnt want to take it out at night anymore. I have been followed for about 10 miles for absolutely nothing, given a sobreity check when i've had nothing to drink, and 2 warnings and 2 tickets for exhaust(one was when i was sitting idle).
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by lilgunz
Yeah I know that is what the law says but that means just about anybody that has a sports car( there aren't many that don't upgrade the exhaust) would get pulled for it but it is like they just pick and choose. that would also mean that almost every truck in my home county would get pulled cause I don't know too many that have their stock exhaust. I just think that it is just a stupid one to enforce or try to enforce. that is just my thought though.
Don't get me wrong... I think the law is complete BS also. It realy comes down to these two things...

1. As long as you're not driving like a douche, they really won't mees with you.

2. If you're in FFX, the above doesn't hold true.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

that is the one area that I haven't been pulled over yet, I got a friend that lives in Alexandria. so now if i am up that way don't drive the Evo. Roger that. Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Ive been pulled over 6 times for loud exhaust, in stafford county VA. the last time i had the stock exhuast and was still ticketed. This state sucks period. I mean window tint cant only be 35%. cmon!!!!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

that blows
Old Dec 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Don't get me wrong... I think the law is complete BS also. It realy comes down to these two things...

1. As long as you're not driving like a douche, they really won't mees with you.

2. If you're in FFX, the above doesn't hold true.
not true.^^ ive lived in alexandria va till i was 18 years old...those cops up there will pull you over for no apparent reason..i can feel your pain man..it doesnt make it any better that you drive a evo.!! you cant win man..its like this...if you dont give a fk..then its cool..pay the ticket and keep rollin.!! if you do give a fk..its in your best intrest to just not do any exhaust work and hook the rest of the car up.!! this is comming from a guy that had no plate on the front(ever) and no state inspection sticker and no county sticker.!! (yes,young and dumb) oh yea,limo windows too..so just chill and figure out what you need to do..good luck man because i feel you...
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:36 AM

Arrow

Just want to say hi.. :-) I drive an 05' sti... so... no flames :-p

But I saw this topic and wanted to comment on it.

I also live in Fairfax. My car is registered in PA, has PA plates, and emssios/inspection stickers.
I have gotten pulled over in the last 3 years about 6 times... EVERYTIME the cop gives me a warning citation but no ticket... then we talk about the car and what's done to it and they normally say nice car..etc. IF the car is ever registered in VA you will get tickets and have to change this..that..etc..

Fine fine, but I don't plan on doing that..

Car is registered under my father's name.

So last night I get pulled over for passing a cop at 32mph near tyson's corner... He pulls me over saying "do you know why I pulled you over" I said no. he said "you exhaust is so loud I couldn't hear myself think" *Probably not much in his head to think about but whatever....lol So I give him my license and registration, 10 minutes later he walks back to my car with the OTHER officer and hands me a ticket. Saying that I have an illegal exhaust...

I state to him how can you give me a ticket if the car is REGISTERED in PA. He goes on to tell me that if I drive on VA roads I have to conform to VA laws.. so then I nicely asked him how come I am not getting a ticket for not having a front license plate since it's required in VA but is not required in PA.... he did not have an answer to that and chose to move on to tell me that I can either prepay the ticket which is $92 or go to court and show the judge that my exhaust is back to stock and that I bring pictures...

So my questions to yall is how is this even possible that this can hold up? I do definatly think that the front license plate example is a good one because if VA requires a front plate but PA doesn't, does that mean that every PA person or other states traveling THROUGH VA must get another plate for that time being..?

Yes I know we have cars that attract the poo poo... yes I realize my car is no where NEAR stock form.. yes I do realize that a fully catless TXS TBE is going to be loud... but it doesn't make sense to me how this could hold up?

Is it worth going to court and fighting indicating that the car is REGISTERED in PA via my father and yes I have a VA license and insurance in VA... but how do THEY know if the car isn't being driven back and forth between states...etc?

Thanks much,
-Nigel
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:29 AM

Take it to court and they will throw it out. I have recieved 3 fines in the past 2 years and they have all been in the past 6 months......how long I've had my exhaust. The last 2 I got smart and had my registration changed to PA and they threw them both out.
Interstate travel would be impossible if this was the case.
Next time this happens, tell the cop he's an *sshole and let him write you a ticket for that too. Then you can explain to the judge there is nothing illegal about telling the truth.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel sorry for anyone that lives in Va.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:26 AM

Same, I feel bad about folks that keep getting pegged down in VA. I live over near Capital Raceway off 3 and to be honest if they pulled me over for my exhaust I could probably point out just while sitting and waiting for a ticket half a dozen Mustangs, Trucks, Harleys, you name it that are 10x as loud as me...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:16 PM

ive been pulled over in mah cousins s2000 for that stupid cop

Quick Reply: Virginia Exhaust Violations