Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

Virginia Exhaust Violations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Fairfax County (Falls Church) since a year, before that in Arlington, and drive through arlington and alexandria to DC every day.

Had one cop ask if I was modified while giving me a speeding ticket in the WRX. I denied, he smiled "ok" and left it at that, was genuinely just admiring the car, lol.

*HUGGING the wooden table leg*

I've never had an exhaust ticket

Last edited by wjamyers; Dec 3, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: 2005 >> 2003
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading all the stories that's happened to you all, I feel very aggravated as far as customizing my Evo here. I live in Va bch and just had my third offense after thanksgiving. The trooper even said my car can be impounded on a third offense. I am in the process of restoring my evo x's exhaust profile to stock. Soon a Greddy TI will be for sale. I dunno if laws changed or anything for this matter.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

wow. crazyness. sorry to hear it. but, aren't you going from one extreme to the other? My exhausts are very stock-appearing compared to bullet style. Both fullsize mufflers with 4" tips but still stainless and nice looking. The Tanabe looks exactly like stock, only shiny. The Subaru went from dual tips to a single which could be a tipoff but "from across the street the pipe tip does NOT look big especially in contrast to the size of the magnaflow. it's only when you are standing right next to it that it is clear [to us gearheads] it is aftermarket. cops have not given me seconds looks."

maybe that's why they don't bother with me?

or maybe there are just too many fartcan-running civics in NoVA? I don't know, but that's over 9 years of running aftermarket 3" exhausts without incident.

Last edited by wjamyers; Nov 26, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:40 AM

Well, I've been hit twice before already. I guess the real question is "what are their standards"? They can citate the law a million times, it's whatever they deem "aftermarket or looks aftermarket". Each officer/trooper is different. There must be some standard of some sorts. I dont' know, I am not a physic but I am tired of it. Now finding out what the "State of Virginia"'s definition of extreme is....that would be the real question.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just talking about a simple visual comparison...

you went from this:

to this:

There must be some kind of middle ground available:
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:39 AM

Very nice and clean exhaust, as far as middle ground, I have a feeling that this system will be an issue out here as well. A wrx buddy of mine is going through the same ordeal. . Even the hondas around here mostly have stock pipes. n. As far as middle ground...I wish i knew.

Last edited by Mtamoria1; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:58 AM

Here's my exhaust and car

[ATTACH]Virginia Exhaust Violations-evox2.jpg[/ATTACH]

Now compared to the following pics, here is what i got. They got me for that exhaust....I guess things are getting a little strict. The silencer is present too.
Attached Thumbnails Virginia Exhaust Violations-evox.jpg  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I think that greddy is screaming loud just visually let alone sound wise. sell it and get something less in-ya-face.

Last edited by wjamyers; Dec 3, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:30 AM

effin VA Cops

I wish bro, I wish...but your point still stands about some mid ground...I need to find out what THAT is..to help all of us virginians ..LOL
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Fairfax fuzz was on my rear bumper for a couple of blocks this PM, I thought, "oh boy, here comes karma for all my talking on evom". he turned off. I really need to clean my car, looking a little sooty back there.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:40 AM

Thats good, just don't stay in my area too long.

Last edited by Mtamoria1; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Change in opinion
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:57 AM

I have been pulled over about 5 or 6 times in my Evo since i have had it. I have never heard them tell me that they will impound my car after the 3rd or so. Its been a year or more since I've been pulled over(knock on wood). I'm guessing they have cut down on it.

§ 46.2-1049. (Effective until October 1, 2012) Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

(Code 1950, § 46-305; 1952, c. 455; 1956, c. 651; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-301; 1960, c. 120; 1970, c. 266; 1972, c. 66; 1989, c. 727; 2006, cc. 529, 538.)

§ 46.2-1049. (Effective October 1, 2012) Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to converted electric vehicles.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 03MitsuEvo
I have been pulled over about 5 or 6 times in my Evo since i have had it. I have never heard them tell me that they will impound my car after the 3rd or so. Its been a year or more since I've been pulled over(knock on wood). I'm guessing they have cut down on it.

§ 46.2-1049. (Effective until October 1, 2012) Exhaust system in good working order.

(Code 1950, § 46-305; 1952, c. 455; 1956, c. 651; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-301; 1960, c. 120; 1970, c. 266; 1972, c. 66; 1989, c. 727; 2006, cc. 529, 538.)

§ 46.2-1049. (Effective October 1, 2012) Exhaust system in good working order.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to converted electric vehicles.
I've read this over and over for the passed few days. I've been to Bmw, honda/acura, and subi forums. All have been hit in Virginia from north to south. I guess the law in VA according to officers is "no aftermarket exhausts are allowed in the "State of VA". It was a state trooper that got me on the third hit and cited that I can be impounded. As for you not being pulled over, enjoy! But for me, I'll just have to deal with it. Bad luck i guess? I don't know guys, just be careful out there.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:09 AM

Yea pretty much if it looks aftermarket and is loud you will get pulled.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:43 PM

got pulled over for my exhaust few weeks ago then the cop rambled on about other aftermarket parks..... no ticket thanks god.
does anyone know the virgina state inspection checklist link? im looking it up but cant find a more detailed one for what i might fail on. like cat and aftermarket stuff.

Quick Reply: Virginia Exhaust Violations