Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

60K mile service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoothy
Sweet, just talked to Lonnie on the phone this morning. Looks like he is going to be busy on my car!
Nice, what are you planning on?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone in the Long Island area, feel free to send me a message and I will assist you.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch swap, flywheel swap, clutch cables, timing/balance belt, water pump, 60k service....I think thats it, maybe more...who knows
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

From the sounds of it I am now wishing I lived out by this Lonnie guy! Haha

I do have a question - I recently purchased all my parts straight from the nearest Mitsu dealer and they were saying that when they, as a dealer, do the timing belt jobs on Evo's they do NOT replace the water pump. They only replace it if it is leaking. My thinking has always been "might as well do it since you're there", and this should be no exception - but the pump I bought from Mitsu was $180 MY COST (My cost is 10% over dealer cost, damn thing should have been made of gold!) and it has scratches on the casing and I can even see traces of washer markings around the bolt holes, which scares me because I don't want to pay $180 for a "used" part that came straight from Mitsu. This was something that the dealer had to order, so it wasn't that they had it laying around in the shop. I called my local tuner shop, RS Motors, who does and will do all my work and he said they always do it, because of the whole "since you're there" thing - but my question is this: Is it NECESSARY? I'm not one to skimp out on the important stuff, and this is by far the most important thing since I am nearing the 120k mark (109k currently) and I know the t-belt and pump were both replaced at 58k by previous owner, but now I am holding what is supposed to be brand new but looks used $180+ part and being told by a dealer that it isn't even necessary?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2004EvoVIII
From the sounds of it I am now wishing I lived out by this Lonnie guy! Haha

I do have a question - I recently purchased all my parts straight from the nearest Mitsu dealer and they were saying that when they, as a dealer, do the timing belt jobs on Evo's they do NOT replace the water pump. They only replace it if it is leaking. My thinking has always been "might as well do it since you're there", and this should be no exception - but the pump I bought from Mitsu was $180 MY COST (My cost is 10% over dealer cost, damn thing should have been made of gold!) and it has scratches on the casing and I can even see traces of washer markings around the bolt holes, which scares me because I don't want to pay $180 for a "used" part that came straight from Mitsu. This was something that the dealer had to order, so it wasn't that they had it laying around in the shop. I called my local tuner shop, RS Motors, who does and will do all my work and he said they always do it, because of the whole "since you're there" thing - but my question is this: Is it NECESSARY? I'm not one to skimp out on the important stuff, and this is by far the most important thing since I am nearing the 120k mark (109k currently) and I know the t-belt and pump were both replaced at 58k by previous owner, but now I am holding what is supposed to be brand new but looks used $180+ part and being told by a dealer that it isn't even necessary?
Water pumps on the evo's have been known to leak even on cars with less then 60k in some circumstances. The possibility that the pump will leak before 120k gets even greater and very unlikely to make it to 180k without issue. The labor involved with replacing the pump is mostly included in a t-belt job thus the "while your in there" statement. If you were to do the t-belt job minus the water pump and then 6mths later the pump starts leaking you will have to spend another several hundred dollars on labor that would have been included with the t-belt job. The dealer dosn't care, no emotional attachment to the customer the way us small business owners do. Our personal reputation is at stake when we handle situations like this. I recommend the pump to save money for the customer in the long run, but I will do it however the customer chooses. As far as the pump appearing used, I have seen this before also. Its possible that another shop ordered a waterpump, bolted it on, and then for whatever reason (wrong one, cust declined after they already installed, etc.) and then returned it to the dealer. I would not feel comfortable with it due to the fact that you just don't know what happened and suppose it leaks? Especially if you are providing the parts to another shop, they will not be responsible for the extra labor to re-install another pump costing you more money. This is one of the reasons sometimes its better to let the shop your having it done at provide the parts. That way they are responsible if a defective or sketchy part is sent at the time of install. Hope this helps in your decision making and good luck!!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

I would quote the whole thing but it would be too long, haha.

Thank you for all the insight! I was on the fence about it, but only because of the whole "getting it looking used" part. For $180 I feel as if the thing should be flawless, and the condition I got it in does not at all reflect a brand new part straight from a Mitsu warehouse. I personally work at a dealership, Honda, and I know for a fact that if a mitsu store recieved that back from a shop they CANNOT return it to the warehouse, just as we could never do that here.

I would never place blame on my shop for shoddy parts, unless proven it was installed wrong. And since I know the owner, have for 6+ years, work with his brother AND he holds the world recod for fastest stock motor/stock turbo Evo IX, I have full trust in everything he does and will do to my car. That wasn't really where I was placing my doubts. Money for this job isn't a concern either - so the fact of it being $180 has no sway in my decision either.

Hearing a dealer tell me they don't do it actually honestly surprised me. I know they don't have as much "emotional" ties to the customer, but working in a dealership I can honestly tell you that our service department will go out of their way to help a customer or persuade them to do something that needs to be done, in this case a t-belt and w-pump job, so that #1 - they make more money and #2 - we don't get the customer back in 4 months complaining of a broken w-pump and "why didn't you tell me about it" and throwing a fit, in which the GM will tell us to do the work for free or for a massive discount and then we LOSE a bunch of money. It's happened before, I've witnessed first hand, so I know it to be true.

I guess at this point I am going to go to Mitsu and confront the manager and just lay it out that I am not satisfied with the condition of the part and go from there. If he insists it's good and to use it then I will probably demand a warranty of some sort and if he puts up a stink I'll just return it and go elsewhere. This dealer has been VERY good to me, so I don't want to burn a bridge over it, but I can honestly say I am not happy and that should be enough for them.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

^Sounds like a good plan. Glad to hear you have some good support in your area!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:31 AM

Lonnie

I think ur PM is full. can u give a quote for coilovers installtion. how ya opinion on megan racing street coilovers?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people on here will tell you that Megan coilovers are good for beginners in the autocross/racing scene. But, if you are really going to race at all they will tell you to go the Sprint/Worx/Bilstein route. Watch out for guys bashing the Magen coilovers... just FYI