Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Police vs tint owners in chicagoland?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Police vs tint owners in chicagoland?

I was debating wether or not to get tints. I was hoping some guys can share their experience with tints and the police if any. Also, does percentage make a difference (i know that any tint in the front windows is illegal but i wonder if people with a "lighter" tint are less likely to be ticketed ,etc. Any feedback on your experiences even if you've never had issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by dtrackstar; Mar 9, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a lighter tint in the front but i got a ticket for it when i was parked at the mall
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

i dint know they can ticket u on private property (assuming a mall parking lot is considered private) anything while driving?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

yea cops are really bad all around chi town area on tinting. this is the whole reason i do not have tints. don't get me wrong i wish i had them, but i just don't want to have to deal with the stress of having them.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

i got my tints done a couple of weeks ago (30% everything) and i roll down my windows when cops come by.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

i dont think the mall lot is private...my friend got pulled over for them he has 18% all around
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If your front windows are tinted, as you already mentioned, you'd be in violation of the Illinois Vehicle Code.

As with most things, it's at the discretion of the officer involved, but it's reason to pull you over if they want to, and it's a zero-effort violation they can throw on.

For what it's worth, I was pulled over last August for a noise violation; my exhaust silencer was out because I was too lazy to put it back in before a long road trip back from Ohio, and Joliet is taking a hard line on their local noise ordinance right now. The officer specifically asked whether my front windows were tinted.

They aren't (but the back windows are), and I didn't give the officer a hard time about the noise violation (he actually apologized for having to write it, since I had the silencer for the exhaust sitting in the trunk under the luggage, but this was one of those "no discretion" situations), so he was only asking because he thought they might have been, and wanted to warn me about it.

I would expect a CPD officer to have very little concern about writing up an extra violation for "some kid in a loud car".

(As for the mall: it is a public space. They can most certainly ticket you there for tint; unlike a moving violation that would have to be witnessed occurring on public roads, this is an equipment violation that is just as illegal parked as moving.)
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you do not want a ticket; do not put tints on the front. You'll always get rolled and when you do, your getting that ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

i feel certain cars attract more attention than others. i was wondering if an evo would attract a lot of attention from the cops. For example, i had an explorer with tints (2 yrs) and i only got pulled over once for them; on the other hand, when i was drivin a marauder i got pulled over two or three times for tints (under a year). I dont think it was by chance, i think the marauder was more of a suspicious car.

Last edited by dtrackstar; Mar 9, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

yea evos attract just "a little" bit of attention. if you don't want to have to deal with the police just don't tint the fronts and call it a day
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Another approach is to not go crazy on the percentage tint, even though it might not be the perfect level you want. I have 35% all around and have not yet been pulled over or ticketed. (If I got a ticket in a mall I would be so pissed I'd probably have the front removed permanently).

Full disclosure - I've only recently (last 4 months) put the front tint on, after having just the rear/back windows tinted for well over a year, so we'll see if things change (esp in the summer). btw it's a BS ticket.

I've noticed the number of cars being tinted (all around) going up over the past few years. A fairly small percentage choose to just tint the rear/sides. That shouldnt give a lot of comfort though bc I agree that evos are more likely than other cars to be ticketed for tint.

Last edited by modetm; Mar 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:46 AM

i have 20% on the back and 35% on the front. Had the tints for over 2 years now and only got one ticket ($35). although my car isnt a daily driver, i do drive it alot during the summer with my windows up.

sure sounds like im getting lucky with my tints!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

[edit/withdrawn]

Last edited by modetm; Mar 10, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the lightest possible tints on my GG on all the sides (55%) and then 35% on the rear and have never been messed with.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
I have the lightest possible tints on my GG on all the sides (55%) and then 35% on the rear and have never been messed with.
this is a good idea. any pics?

Quick Reply: Police vs tint owners in chicagoland?