Notices

Relearn Required (and other issues with mt TC-SST)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relearn Required (and other issues with mt TC-SST)

I have a TC-SST on a 2010 SE with a Stage 2 kit (exhaust + intake + Cobb). Last year, I swapped to Pentosin, only realizing this year that was a bad idea. I just got SSP Gold in it, hoping it would fix the problems.

Last year, I started to slip in launch, with the car failing basically each time I tried to do a launch control. I had planned on getting a Stage 2 upgrade from SSP but when I called DSG Performance in Calgary, the mechanic I talked to (claiming to have worked at SSP) said all I really needed was the Stage 1 kit (no clutches) and that after the oil change to go to the dealer and get a MUT Relearn on the transmission, claiming that will fix my issues.

The local transmission (no local Mitsubishi dealership here) believed the TC-SST had an active learning process and that a reset wouldn't be necessary, although admitting that they weren't entirely sure. I'm not sure the oil fixed the problem on its's own--I am still hearing the tranny whine when shifting from second to first. I'm afraid to do a launch. I plan to drive to Calgary to visit a dealership to get that reset; I'm just curious if that at all matters.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

the best bet for you is to pull the tranny out and send to kozmic motorsport for a complete build.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:10 PM

OK...I keep hearing people mention that and I am going to state right now that pulling my tranny and shipping it to ANYONE is out of the question. I need logical reasonable advice that does not involve thousands of dollars of repair work. This is my daily driver and I do not have the money or the time.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DiasExMachina
OK...I keep hearing people mention that and I am going to state right now that pulling my tranny and shipping it to ANYONE is out of the question. I need logical reasonable advice that does not involve thousands of dollars of repair work. This is my daily driver and I do not have the money or the time.
Putting Pentosyn in the transmission for any length of time will ruin the clutches. Once they are exhibiting the behavior you mention, and the friction plates get burnt, they are done. Had you run OEM fluid in the transmission you would not be having this problem. There is no fix for it other than replacing them if putting the proper fluid in the transmission doesn't clear it up within 1500-3000 miles. Coincidentally, that is about the longest you can leave the pentosyn in there and still have any hope of correcting the issue by swapping back to OEM fluid.

If you let it go until the clutch packs start warping steels, then you run the risk of damaging shift fork pawls and synchros, and that is really expensive.

BTW, the entire transmission does not need to be sent anywhere. Just the clutch basket.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DiasExMachina
Last year, I started to slip in launch, with the car failing basically each time I tried to do a launch control.

I'm not sure the oil fixed the problem on its's own--I am still hearing the tranny whine when shifting from second to first. I'm afraid to do a launch.
So basically the car won't launch anymore? Did you used to launch a lot? Did you have it properly tuned for your mods? That is, did whoever tuned your car, also modify the existing SST tables we have access to?

The transmission whining doesn't really tell us that much...lots of SSTs whine. Anymore particulars about the "whining" sound? And, have you done a teach-in yet? You can now do it from home with a Tactrix cable which I'm guessing you don't have since you listed Cobb, but might be able to find someone local to you who can do the teach-in for you.

Thanks!
verkion
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

to the OP, if you are driving any car with a twin clutch set up (let alone and EvoMr) clutch work is pricey. We all know there are few good tranny shops out there. Even fewer that can work on complicated systems found in the evo and vehicles like it. This is really an instance where lesson learned. You have to be careful when modifying this car. There is lots of post on this forum about the SST. using the wrong fluid how ever much is cost you is going to cost you a couple stacks to get it fixed unless your confident you can do the work yourself. Listen to the Vets on this site. a lot of them have figured this stuff all out already for folks like you and I.

Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't there an article or Shepard wrote that if you use the wrong oil, there's also another DEALER ONLY part that'll break down $2500+or- if you use the wrong oil?
GL & Be careful OP!!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have a Tactrix you can do the teach in and log clutch slip easily. Those logs can be sent to Kozmic and he can tell you the best course of action.