Notices

2013 MR SST Issue. Dealers can't replicate?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2013 MR SST Issue. Dealers can't replicate?

*FYI, just so that nobody takes the time to answer I traded the car in today after they still couldn't replicate the issue*

Hello! I was wondering if any of you might have had or heard about something like this happening before and might know what to tell the dealer to try or what I should try next? This has happened 3 times between 01/13/16 and 01/21/16, left me stranded 2 of the times, and all 3 times it has happened after driving a long distance on the freeway and then being stopped for a short time after that with the car in Drive and Normal Mode the entire time. The car is a 2013 MR Touring with 48,000 miles and is 100% stock and the powertrain is still under warranty.

01/13/16: Drove home an hour from work via the freeway and stopped off at a restaurant after exiting the freeway right near my home to get dinner to go. After leaving the restaurant the stoplight turned green and when shifting from 1st to 2nd there was a loud banging noise from underneath the car and it kept jerking and revving trying to shift back and forth between 1st and 2nd. By the time I was able to coast onto a side street the Transmission Service Required warning and Service Engine Soon light were on and could not select any gear. Was one residential block from home so neighbor helped me push it home to my driveway.

01/14/16: Had the car towed 60 miles to the bad Mitsubishi dealer (Riverside Mitsubishi) first thing. By the time it got there all warnings had cleared and the car drove fine. They blamed the issue on (get ready for this!) feedback from my radar detector sending bad signals to the transmission so they could charge me $220 for looking at it. Even though it was 12,000 miles early I had them perform a transmission service while it was there anyway and was given the all clear to drive the car. Drove home over an hour via the freeway and stopped at a drive-thru after exiting the freeway near my home. After leaving the drive-thru at the first stoplight that I had to stop for turned green and again when it tried to shift into 2nd there was a loud banging noise from underneath the car, the car jerked forwards and this time the Transmission Service Required warning and Service Engine Soon light came on immediately and I was able to coast the car into a parking lot as no gear could be selected. I hooked up my OBD-II scanner and pulled code P2733. Based upon what had happened at the dealer that day I shut off the car for a few minutes and upon starting it back up, shutting it off and then starting it back up again the warnings had cleared.

01/15/16-01/20/16: Only drove the car short distances around town.

01/21/16: Drove an hour to work via freeway and stopped off at Starbucks (drive-thru) right after exiting the freeway. After leaving it felt as though the clutch was slipping and I realized it indicated that it was in D1 and shifting to D2 but was actually in D2 all of the time as the revs never changed during the shift. You can see this towards the middle of the longer video linked below. Eventually it was just stuck in D2 and wouldn't let me shift up or down as you can see towards the end of the longer video linked below. Knowing I was about to have the same issue yet again (although the stuck in D2 was a new symptom) I started a 2nd video, pulled out of the parking lot and again there was a loud banging noise from underneath the car, it jerked forwards pretty hard again and the Transmission Service Required warning and Service Engine Soon light came on as you can see in the shorter video linked below. I hooked up my OBD-II scanner and pulled codes P2733 and P2809. At this point while being stranded on the side of a busy road I called AAA and had the car towed to the good Mitsubishi dealer (San Bernardino Mitsubishi). When it arrived the warning lights were all still on but the car could be moved. When the dealer started the car up a few days later to look at it as before all warning lights were off and the codes were already cleared.
01/21/16 Album: https://goo.gl/photos/ip2yimJNwVrRUBAR8

02/02/16: The good dealer has driven the car every day, tried to drive it and let it sit for a short time running and then driving again, tech and service manager both drove the car home a couple of nights (I authorized this in advance), etc. and each time it worked perfectly for them so I am picking the car back up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks and sorry for the HUGE post/backstory but since I'm sure I'll get stranded again soon is there anything that anyone can think of to tell the dealer to try or that I can try to have done on my own? Thanks again!

-Marc K.

Last edited by MarcK73; Feb 3, 2016 at 07:04 PM. Reason: No longer have vehicle.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 02:44 PM

Sounds like you need to stop eating fast food and cook at home. Ha!

It sounds like maybe a fork selection issue. It only happened on mine once, and never came back, so I don't have a real solution, but being under warranty, sounds like them may need to replace your transmission at some point soon. See if you can replicate the problem again, then drive the mechanic around and show them. Time consuming, but sounds like your only option now.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Chris
Sounds like you need to stop eating fast food and cook at home. Ha!

It sounds like maybe a fork selection issue. It only happened on mine once, and never came back, so I don't have a real solution, but being under warranty, sounds like they may need to replace your transmission at some point soon. See if you can replicate the problem again, then drive the mechanic around and show them. Time consuming, but sounds like your only option now.
Haha, so you're saying that my car is actually doing this to help me lead a healthier lifestyle then?

That's what I keep hoping to do but I live 1.5 hours away from the closest dealer and by the time it gets towed there everything is fine, and the tow companies won't allow me to leave the car running while it's on the flatbed so it's pretty much fixed itself by the time it gets there.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 07:04 PM

FYI, just so that nobody takes the time to answer I traded the car in today after they still couldn't replicate the issue. I will update the OP as well.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 02:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you try to teach-in shift forks ? Do you have a stock clutch kit or tune ?
99% reason in fail of mechatronic , or just teach-in shift forks and all will well 👌
The following users liked this post:
MarcK73 (Mar 13, 2016)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 0uch.!
Are you try to teach-in shift forks ? Do you have a stock clutch kit or tune ?
99% reason in fail of mechatronic , or just teach-in shift forks and all will well 👌
0uch.!, thanks for the reply and suggestion, but I recently traded the car in on a different one. My car was a 100% stock leased vehicle though.

-Marc K.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I am literally having the exact same issue. exact same issue, to the T. Holy ****.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
I am literally having the exact same issue. exact same issue, to the T. Holy ****.
Well I hope that you have better luck than I did proving it to Mitsubishi and getting it fixed!